This discussion is closed.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by animaluvva)
Do you know what, don't even bother rising to this because thats exactly what he wants!

I think everyone can see how 'intellectual' this person is by what he's written :rolleyes:
i'l admit i don't think im intelligent enough to study maths, physics type subjects but that doesn't mean that other psychology folk arn't.
If i was instead studying maths i would love to state that:

' maths people can study psychology but no way are psychology people intelligent enough to come to my 'higher' status and study maths'

It would be such an ego boost i can imagine! but unfortunately in many cases it isn't true
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
i'l admit i don't think im intelligent enough to study maths, physics type subjects but that doesn't mean that other psychology folk arn't.

' maths people can study psychology but no way are psychology people intelligent enough to come to my 'higher' status and study maths'

It would be such an ego boost i can imagine! but unfortunately in many cases it isn't true

I am studying Psychology along with Maths, Physics, ICT, GS and Biology AS. And also my career plan is in a counselling job, which i am told a psych. degree allows you to obtain. In my free periods i'm usually reading various Theories (Rosenhan and Freud's studies are the best!!) and sit in on other lessons and observe behaviour. You cant honestly say i'm not intelligent, doing some of the hardest A-levels and wanting to continue with Psychology in University, and yet there is a thread which is telling me i'm full of **** and i have to hear the most stereotypical views ever proposed about psychology, which seem to make no logical sense and the reasoning is flawed in many ways, i dont see how someone could post this outrageous thread in the first place. It's by no means a hard subject like physics, but it has great potential to become one (crazy Gould nearly did, until he biased his IQ tests :mad: ), and is also a subject which is constantly growing. I would rather help a mentally challenged person, or discover a new pattern of behaviour than stare at some ancient physics probelm or spend an eternity trying to prove that prime numbers follow a pattern **yawns** on my own.
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)

WHAT DA ****?????
I STUDIED MATHS AND PSYCHOLOGY AT ALEVEL, GOT AN A in MATHS and a B in PSYCHOLOGY AND NOW STUDYING PSYCHOLOGY AT UNI, AND LOVING IT. SO DONT SAY IM NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH :mad: :mad: :mad:
I hate this, psychology is always known to be easy, when I think its difficult, you need to do alot of hard work to reach even a 2:1.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh hi,
I am taking IB (Psychology an HL [7= predicted grade]) and I passionatelly want to study it at University even though I dont want my future job to be directly related to psychology.
That's why I am considering to take joint honours (psychology and Business management)
does anybody think it's a good combination of subjects to study??
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by parsimony)
oh hi,
I am taking IB (Psychology an HL [7= predicted grade]) and I passionatelly want to study it at University even though I dont want my future job to be directly related to psychology.
That's why I am considering to take joint honours (psychology and Business management)
does anybody think it's a good combination of subjects to study??
Yes if you chooses business and social psychology o when your applying for jobs you can use the skills in your application and interview
Jamie Frost
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Here's my thoughts on Psychology A-Level:

1. It does TEND to be attractive to less academic students. That's a fact, not an opinion. But that does not necessarily mean it's exclusively for these sorts of students.

2. Grammar schools usually don't offer it, because it's not considered an 'academic' subject, which it isn't. That doesn't mean it's a pointless subject, just not an academic one.

3. Correct me I'm wrong, but I can imagine NO university will require Psychology A-Level for a Psychology degree.

I would say if you had another subject in mind, do it instead of Psychology.
On a slightly off-topic note, from personal experience the thing that annoys me about a lot of psychology students (especially the more intelligent ones) think they can 'read people' much better than anyone else. This really annoys me! <end rant>
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jamie Frost)
Here's my thoughts on Psychology A-Level:

1. It does TEND to be attractive to less academic students. That's a fact, not an opinion. But that does not necessarily mean it's exclusively for these sorts of students.
everybody says that less academic students go for psychology...but does anybody know the reason?? as if psychology was the easiest subject from all.. i really dont understand it..
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
Yes if you chooses business and social psychology o when your applying for jobs you can use the skills in your application and interview
does it necessarily need to be social psychology? I know I would rather be able to apply skills froms social psycho in my future job but the point is that i dont want to.. psychology is something like my hobby.. and bussines is something i wanna do.. so.. what if I just take cognitive psychology (because i love it) and business because i want to have a job in that area?

do you think the students who take business as their single degree would be much ahead from me in competition for jobs? (because in my case it would be 50psycho and 50bussines)

so in that case..is it more sensible to take business as a major and psycho as Minor?? (75 : 25)
Painted
Report 16 years ago
The problem with psychology is that so many people take it and graduate with it every single year. You need to have somethin special to stand out, especially for working in psychology-related jobs (where, lets face it, most psychology graduates aim to work)

To be honest, if you want to work in clinical it would probably be better to do a medical degree and then convert to psychiatry, this is a less competitive route (compared to clinical) and requires the same grades anyway.

For non-specific degree requiring jobs I wouldn't consider psychology worthless. Just remember, though, that lots of graduates are going to have the same qualification as you so make sure that there is something that makes you stand out from the considerable crowd.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
does it necessarily need to be social psychology? I know I would rather be able to apply skills froms social psycho in my future job but the point is that i dont want to.. psychology is something like my hobby.. and bussines is something i wanna do.. so.. what if I just take cognitive psychology (because i love it) and business because i want to have a job in that area?

do you think the students who take business as their single degree would be much ahead from me in competition for jobs? (because in my case it would be 50psycho and 50bussines)

so in that case..is it more sensible to take business as a major and psycho as Minor?? (75 : 25)
Most joint courses will have a 50:50 weighting. Maybe you should just do a business degree and take psychology module electives if possible in second and third years. If you take psychology as a joint degree you will have to do some standard psych modules, usually development, cognitive, biological and social.
magiccarpet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by derecho)
I am thinking of studying psychology but am getting reluctant as i am starting to think that is a common sense subject that has no answers and little scientific basis. many psychology students seem to have no career direction and are doing it because it is easy and popular, what do you all think?
yes it is crap. the only degrees are law, business, medicine, science, math,education
Gem
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
yes it is crap. the only degrees are law, business, medicine, science, math,education
I think you'll find Psychology most certainly isn't crap! Have you ever studied it?!? Probably not! And of course you *know* for sure that degrees that aren't crap at law, (cough cough the one you put first just so happens to be the one that you're studying :rolleyes: ) business, medicine, science, maths and education becasue of course you have a degree in all of these.

I agree that they're all good degrees to have, but so is Psychology, I think you should let people form their own opinions, and not criticise other peoples subjects.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
i think that when you want to make a statement like this you should have strong arguments that support it..
so..do YOU have any??
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that when you want to make a statement like this you should have strong arguments that support it..
so..do YOU have any??
Of course they don't... the fact that they say the "only degrees are.." is incorrect from the start, just look at the course listing on UCAS
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by F. Poste)
Of course they don't... the fact that they say the "only degrees are.." is incorrect from the start, just look at the course listing on UCAS
well i was trying to make him admit that he is wrong
Seamen Staines
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's no such thing as a useless degree if you go to a decent uni and get at least a second class for any subject.
Reality Bites
Report 16 years ago
Who says Psychology is crap? Those who only see it for Freud and his "sex-crazed theories", that's who!

And if I can go to an open day to a university and be told that you can do a degree in "The Simpsons" (this is true btw) then how can you believe a subject studying the mind is crap?!?! Why people think it's easy I don't know. I'm finding it so hard!
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jamie Frost)
2. Grammar schools usually don't offer it, because it's not considered an 'academic' subject, which it isn't. That doesn't mean it's a pointless subject, just not an academic one.
What's an 'academic' subject anyway?
Pussinboots99
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
just reading though the past posts and that jesus bloke sounds like a **** basically because he is being rude. if the ppl that want to study psychology are 'not intellectual nough to study more important subjects.' then why woudl the entry requirements be so high? i think that psychology is an important subject just because some people dont appreciate it it doesnt mean it isnt useful. People pay good money to see psychologists and many are helped with disorders from therapy doesnt this say something about its importance?
katgirly104
Report 15 years ago
Ive started AS psychology this year and think its the most interestin subject ive eva done, i no that its wot i wana do at uni, without a doubt, n dont think its worthless at all, jus because it seems like so everyone is doin a psychology degree doesnt make it any less valued, an i av found out that clinical psychologists are highly in demand. of course psychology is a worthwhile subject, a career in it is helpin people to come to terms with their life, and with mental disorders, wot if there were no psychologists around? we'd all be goin mad!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (485)
51.82%
No (451)
48.18%

Watched Threads