jobs at durham? Watch

This discussion is closed.
*Kez*
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm hoping to go to Durham next year and was hoping to get a part time job during term time but I'm wondering how this works if you live far away and go home in the holidays, does that not make it hard to keep a job?Can anyone help??
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As Becca says, there are jobs in colleges and they are highly sought after, but they're also usually minimum wage and you can't get a massive amount of hours (for example, in the shop at Trevs you can only work 2hrs a week - so that's £8.20 a week! - with min. wage being £4.10)

However there are also other jobs, the University has a Jobshop where businesses can advertise jobs where they specificaly want students working for them. Saying that, I've been looking for one for my whole first year and only JUST found a half decent one.

It may be hard to get a job, but if you *really* want one then you can. Here's a tip - try and get a job over the summer for a company (probably a shop) which has one of their shops/offices in Durham - then get a transfer! Places like Tescos, Matalan, Safeway/Morrisons, Wetherspoons, any banks, Greggs, Pizza Hut, amongst other places!

Mattmoy_2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't bother looking for a job unless you're doing a pansy arts degree, any scientist will have too many lectures to make a job feasable. You have only 28 weeks a year at uni, lots of time is taken up with lectures or academic work, you'll want to spend the rest of your time having fun. Durham is such an amazing place, full of extraordinary people, work for money during your holidays. I do know an economist who works on our college bar, but the bar staff are quite a tight-knit community and she claims to do it only for the social side, and that the money is just a nice bonus. College barwork seems to be quite hardcore on the social side, but you may have to work during ents instead of going to them, especially the posh ones, like balls.
Please note: I do realise how absurdly elitist I'm being about science degrees.
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Actually you're completely wrong saying "if you do an arts degree you'll have more time to get a job" - it's really the OTHER WAY AROUND!!

Science degrees you do the work during the day on weekdays - and that's pretty much it! You could quite easily get an evening/weekend job and still have plenty of time (and money!) to have a social life....whilst us art/social science students have to spend all of our spare time on essays/reading/research/etc.

So if you want a job....it's better to go for a science degree

Oh and Becca - jobshop is at http://www.dur.ac.uk/DurhamJobshop/
....you have to put your Durham username and password in. All of their vacancies are on there, they're pretty crappy at the moment, but there are good things on there sometimes! Their actual office is in the Careers Service building which is stuck onto the right hand side of the DSU (if you're looking from the road/shops/banks)
SammyD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.dsu.org.uk/news/index.php?item=223
*Kez*
Thanks very much for all the help - answered all my questions!! Does that mean that generally students in Durham don't have jobs unless they have 1 in college??Good idea though about gettin a summer job with Tescos or someone....cunning I'm gonna be doin modern languages too - so maybe i won't even have time for a job?!?
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *Kez*)
Thanks very much for all the help - answered all my questions!! Does that mean that generally students in Durham don't have jobs unless they have 1 in college??Good idea though about gettin a summer job with Tescos or someone....cunning I'm gonna be doin modern languages too - so maybe i won't even have time for a job?!?
No one I know in durham has a job in termtime
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Of course you'll have time for a job - everyone has time for a job if you want/need one! Many people at Durham are dependent on their mummies and daddies though and so have very much an attitude of "You don't need a job! Just ask for more money from your parents!!"

Another tip would be that (if you didn't get a job with Tescos, etc.) to get some experience in bar work or waiting/waitressing - there are always plenty of cafes, restaurants, pubs, and bars wanting students as staff

What college are you going to, by the way?
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dobbs)
f "You don't need a job! Just ask for more money from your parents!!"
:rolleyes:
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
:rolleyes:
Was that aimed at me or the people who say that sort of thing? :confused:
*Kez*
(Original post by dobbs)
Of course you'll have time for a job - everyone has time for a job if you want/need one! Many people at Durham are dependent on their mummies and daddies though and so have very much an attitude of "You don't need a job! Just ask for more money from your parents!!"

Another tip would be that (if you didn't get a job with Tescos, etc.) to get some experience in bar work or waiting/waitressing - there are always plenty of cafes, restaurants, pubs, and bars wanting students as staff

What college are you going to, by the way?
I'm going to St.Aidans - picked a college really randomly but it sounds good from what I've heard!!
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *Kez*)
I'm going to St.Aidans - picked a college really randomly but it sounds good from what I've heard!!
Cool - Aidans is a cool college

Though the thing about being all the way up here on the hill is that it makes it that little bit harder to keep a job, in that you'll have to trek into town and back for jobs. So keep an eye out for getting a job on the bar or the pizza shop at Aidans as it would be easier than having a job in town.

Next tip - if you really REALLY want a job - get into town on literally the first or second day you're in Durham. Jobs go *very* quickly...trust me!
*Kez*
(Original post by dobbs)
Cool - Aidans is a cool college

Though the thing about being all the way up here on the hill is that it makes it that little bit harder to keep a job, in that you'll have to trek into town and back for jobs. So keep an eye out for getting a job on the bar or the pizza shop at Aidans as it would be easier than having a job in town.

Next tip - if you really REALLY want a job - get into town on literally the first or second day you're in Durham. Jobs go *very* quickly...trust me!
Cool I'll make sure to do that!! Thanks a lot for the advice! Can't wait to get to Durham now - jus gotta get the A Levels outta the way - oh joy
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *Kez*)
Cool I'll make sure to do that!! Thanks a lot for the advice! Can't wait to get to Durham now - jus gotta get the A Levels outta the way - oh joy
lol I'm sure you'll do fine

....just don't do what I do - get grades which meant I didn't get into my firm (Durham) OR my insurance (Leeds) lol! :rolleyes: (ended up resitting my a-levels to get into Durham, but definitely worth it )

Good luck! :cool:
Mattmoy_2000
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Science degrees you do the work during the day on weekdays - and that's pretty much it! You could quite easily get an evening/weekend job and still have plenty of time (and money!) to have a social life....whilst us art/social science students have to spend all of our spare time on essays/reading/research/etc.
Do you know what this is? *rubs finger on thumb*
It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the arts students...(try some quantum mechanics for size).
Back to jobs, yeah, I wouldn't bother looking for a job outside college, especially if you're on the hill, but if you're on the bailey, you could probably get a job in one of the pubs/clubs in town. I also don't know how much colleges pay, Mary's for one doesn't pay its barstaff, they do it for free. Castle pays £4.85 ph. You could try for security work, but I don't know what the rate of pay is, I think it's quite good.
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mattmoy_2000)
Do you know what this is? *rubs finger on thumb*
It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the arts students...(try some quantum mechanics for size).
I'm not saying arts degrees are harder than science degrees, but it really pisses me off when scientists keep on complaining about how many lectures they get and how us artists get it so easy....well we don't!

I wouldn't be able to do quantum mechanics, I have no idea about that, similarly you most likely wouldn't be able to write a well structured essay on the theories and thoughts behind globalization and how it's linked to neo-colonialism. Note the "well structured" - in my experience scientists have no idea how to go about writing essays :rolleyes:

But then....I have no idea how to go about solving complex numbers, or how to draw bonding of certain atoms, etc.
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:p: Pedantic!!! I know it's a social science, but I was just splitting it up into "Arts" and "Sciences"

A friend of mine explained a social science in that you can join societies as a "social" member for cheaper - you just get drunk and have fun, but never actually do any work! Just like a social science :rolleyes:
dobbs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
That explaination sounds about right!! The Geographers I know never seem to do anything until they have a project or essay which they all always leave until the last minute and do a rush job on it!!
That's the point - we SHOULD have work to do we just never do it, it's too much effort to go get books and read them. So boring!!

Wait until next year - the geographers will be working very hard! Can't wait :rolleyes:
Mattmoy_2000
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You bet I can't write a well structured essay, but I *can* argue the hind legs off a donkey. We do have lab reports to write, but they're just a different style of writing, highly structured and very formal, but no better or worse than an essay; just without that freedom of structure.
On the Science/Art argument about geography, I'd be inclined to fall down on the "arts" side of the fence. My reason being that any subject which you need colouring pencils for *must* be an art.
*realises arrogance and is only saying this to be flippant*
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (479)
79.97%
Leave (120)
20.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed