The Student Room Group

Colorimeter Help!

hi everyone!! iv jus read in a txt book that when using a colorimeter on a solution of reducing sugar (with benedicts reagent added to it) , u need a red light filter to act as a "0" .. the txt book didnt really elaborate on this soo im not quite sure what the purpose of a red filter would be? :s-smilie: -

it does say a bit after that iv u plotted a graph the transmission would increase as reducing sugar content increases -

soo would tat mean that using a red filter on a colorimeter with a red solution sample inside- would give 100% transmission? and as the solutions decreace (red-orange-yellow-green-blue) the transmision tends towards the direction 0% ??

can someone please explain to me what transmission and absorbance is - aswell !! thanks soo much everyone!!
Reply 1
Ammar21
hi everyone!! iv jus read in a txt book that when using a colorimeter on a solution of reducing sugar (with benedicts reagent added to it) , u need a red light filter to act as a "0" .. the txt book didnt really elaborate on this soo im not quite sure what the purpose of a red filter would be? :s-smilie: -

it does say a bit after that iv u plotted a graph the transmission would increase as reducing sugar content increases -

soo would tat mean that using a red filter on a colorimeter with a red solution sample inside- would give 100% transmission? and as the solutions decreace (red-orange-yellow-green-blue) the transmision tends towards the direction 0% ??

can someone please explain to me what transmission and absorbance is - aswell !! thanks soo much everyone!!

you use a red filter because its the complementary colour to blue - benedicts absorbd blue light and transmits red so you can test the benedicts solution concentration as less concentrated = less blue absorbed

yup using a red filter with red solution would transmit all red light so would be useless for a red solution, for red solutions you use a blue filter.

transmission is basically used in the same context as reflection - transmission is the way the solution allows light through or reflects it and so this is the colour the solution appears
absorbance is the light wavelengths absorbed by a solution so they do not contribute to the colour we see

when using a colorimeter you test absorbance as absorbance of a coloured light (of the complementary colour to the solution) decreases as solution becomes less concentrated

:smile:
Reply 2
colourful
you use a red filter because its the complementary colour to blue - benedicts absorbd blue light and transmits red so you can test the benedicts solution concentration as less concentrated = less blue absorbed

yup using a red filter with red solution would transmit all red light so would be useless for a red solution, for red solutions you use a blue filter.

transmission is basically used in the same context as reflection - transmission is the way the solution allows light through or reflects it and so this is the colour the solution appears
absorbance is the light wavelengths absorbed by a solution so they do not contribute to the colour we see

when using a colorimeter you test absorbance as absorbance of a coloured light (of the complementary colour to the solution) decreases as solution becomes less concentrated

Appropriate username win :yep:
What about a copper (II) sulfate which is blue
What about a copper (II) sulfate which is blue because I'm talking about a colorimetry method
Sorry to point it out, but as you caused headache for me with your sentences :smile: I want to help others by reflecting on your mistakes.If you say that absorbance is the light wavelengths absorbed by a solution so they do not contribute to the colour we see...which is right, then you cannot claim that Benedict's solution absorbs blue, because then why on earth we see it blue?!The correct is: Benedict's solution absorbs red, and reflects/transmits blue.You use red lens in colorimeter. At the beginning (without heating, the colour is blue) the absorbance level will be high (the blue coloured solution absorbs all the used red wavelengths).As the glucose concentration increases less Benedict's solution (blue) is present (because it became reduced hence changed its colour to reddish) so less red light can be absorbed, the transmission level increases.
Sorry to point it out, but as you caused headache for me with your sentences I want to help others by reflecting on your mistakes.If you say that absorbance is the light wavelengths absorbed by a solution so they do not contribute to the colour we see...which is right, then you cannot claim that Benedict's solution absorbs blue, because then why on earth we see it blue?!The correct is: Benedict's solution absorbs red, and reflects/transmits blue.You use red lens in colorimeter. At the beginning (without heating, the colour is blue) the absorbance level will be high (the blue coloured solution absorbs all the used red wavelengths).As the glucose concentration increases less Benedict's solution (blue) is present (because it became reduced hence changed its colour to reddish) so less red light can be absorbed, the transmission level increases.
Original post by colourful

Sorry to point it out, but as you caused headache for me with your sentences I want to help others by reflecting on your mistakes.If you say that absorbance is the light wavelengths absorbed by a solution so they do not contribute to the colour we see...which is right, then you cannot claim that Benedict's solution absorbs blue, because then why on earth we see it blue?!The correct is: Benedict's solution absorbs red, and reflects/transmits blue.You use red lens in colorimeter. At the beginning (without heating, the colour is blue) the absorbance level will be high (the blue coloured solution absorbs all the used red wavelengths).As the glucose concentration increases less Benedict's solution (blue) is present (because it became reduced hence changed its colour to reddish) so less red light can be absorbed, the transmission level increases.
Reply 8
Original post by Csilla555

So my solution (Different experiment) gradually turns red as the concentration increases. At the beginning it is COLOURLESS. And I used to blue light filter at the beginning. For some reason. (yes, colourimeters are leaving me very confused) So my absorbance read DECREASED as the colour of red got DARKER. Is that correct? So when it's at distilled water the absorbance was 0. And then it spiked to 0.25. Then from then, it decreased. Did I do something wrong?
Reply 9
Guys this thread is 11 freaking years old
Original post by tbi_zlx

Yeah.It's crazy innit how a post 11 years ago helps me understand the school content now.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fair2Cloud7
Yeah.It's crazy innit how a post 11 years ago helps me understand the school content now.

Im ngll this is sooo tru when I was in a levelsss
Reply 12
Original post by tbi_zlx

Didn't even realise, damnnn.
The people who created the thread are probably so old now.

Quick Reply

Latest