Turn on thread page Beta

AS Psychology mock exam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me any reasons as to why Bickmans study of obedience (the power of uniforms) was not ecologically valid? :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How generalisiable is it?

Was the study conducted in different places, or in the same place? If it wasnt, then it isnt ecologically valid because it cannot be generalised to the rest of the population

I think thats right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_w)
    Can anyone give me any reasons as to why Bickmans study of obedience (the power of uniforms) was not ecologically valid? :confused:

Thanks
    Don't know the study, but was it a controlled ('lab') experiment? Basically, things lack ecological validity if the participants aren't acting as they would in 'real life'. So if he had authority figures approaching random people in the street and looked at how they reacted to them, that would be more ecologically valid than if he asked participants to look at a selection of authority figures and say stuff about them.

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    How generalisiable is it?

Was the study conducted in different places, or in the same place? If it wasnt, then it isnt ecologically valid because it cannot be generalised to the rest of the population

I think thats right
    Ah! Thanks

Complete mental block :rolleyes: It was done on a street in New York, so, it was ethnocentric, and can not be generalised to other cultures.

Don't know the study,
    Three experimenters dressed as either a civilian, milkman or a guard to test obedience to uniform. They asked passers by to pick up a bag, or provide change for a parking meter. 42% obeyed the civilian, 92% obeyed the guard and milkman.

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.