A2 music listening exam Watch

This discussion is closed.
realicetic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
anyone got any good resources for revisng for the AQA A2 music listening exam ????
just dont really know what to learn!!! :p:
embelina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
join the club....we did last yrs paper as a practise and got an impressive 3 1/2 out of 35!!
ask your teacher to make a copy of the example pieces sent by the exam board?
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There are not really many good ways of learning aural skills (I should know - I'm probably the worst in my year at them). Try and learn what cadences sound like by playing them on a piano in lots of different keys.

MB
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Much to my surprise, I'm actually quite enjoying doing the past papers for this exam, largely because I've grown up with classical music so I don't find it difficult to identify composers, dates, etc. I've been getting good marks for them, but the area I *always* fall down on is chords and cadences. I just end up guessing what the chords are!! I've had loads of practice but it really doesn't seem to get any easier. Still, there are only a few marks allocated to that aspect, so I'm taking comfort on the fact that I can get the marks elsewhere!
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Much to my surprise, I'm actually quite enjoying doing the past papers for this exam, largely because I've grown up with classical music so I don't find it difficult to identify composers, dates, etc. I've been getting good marks for them, but the area I *always* fall down on is chords and cadences. I just end up guessing what the chords are!! I've had loads of practice but it really doesn't seem to get any easier. Still, there are only a few marks allocated to that aspect, so I'm taking comfort on the fact that I can get the marks elsewhere!
Chords shouldn't be too difficult.

In the major,

I - sounds resolved
II - is minor, often heard in first inversion going to V (and then often to I)
III - is minor but probably wouldn't come up
IV - is major - sounds duller than tonic
V - Is major - sounds brighter than tonic
VI - is minor (soundds distinctive but I don't know why)
VII - is diminished, often heard in first inversion as a substitute for V

In the minor

I - is minor, soundds resolved
II - is diminished or minor - when diminished is always in second inversion
III - is the relative major, again sounds distinctive but I don't know why
IV - is minor (usually)
V - is always major and sounds very bright
VI - is major - sounds flat
VII -same as for major

other chords that I don't know if they include are neapolitan sixths (which sound hugely exotic in a diatonic framework), augmented sixths outeer pars resolve by semitone to the same not in contrary motion (I doubt you get tested on the difference between an Italian, French or German sixth)

MB
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
Chords shouldn't be too difficult.

In the major,

I - sounds resolved
II - is minor, often heard in first inversion going to V (and then often to I)
III - is minor but probably wouldn't come up
IV - is major - sounds duller than tonic
V - Is major - sounds brighter than tonic
VI - is minor (soundds distinctive but I don't know why)
VII - is diminished, often heard in first inversion as a substitute for V

In the minor

I - is minor, soundds resolved
II - is diminished or minor - when diminished is always in second inversion
III - is the relative major, again sounds distinctive but I don't know why
IV - is minor (usually)
V - is always major and sounds very bright
VI - is major - sounds flat
VII -same as for major

other chords that I don't know if they include are neapolitan sixths (which sound hugely exotic in a diatonic framework), augmented sixths outeer pars resolve by semitone to the same not in contrary motion (I doubt you get tested on the difference between an Italian, French or German sixth)

MB
Thanks for that! Yes, they do test on all those different kinds of sixth
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I suppose I always was lucky with that kind of exam, because of having something close to perfect pitch - with that you don't have to faff around trying to work out what each interval/cadence sounds like, because you can can just 'tell' as soon as you hear them...

Edit: Sorry, I just realised - that probably wasn't very helpful...
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by realicetic)
anyone got any good resources for revisng for the AQA A2 music listening exam ????
just dont really know what to learn!!! :p:
If you go onto rhinegold.com they sell a book of listening tests which goes with the general text book. Its quite good, you can also buy the CD to go with it.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The OCR paper is just a joke. The listening part is incredibly short, and the rest of it is essays that seem to be easy to prepare for.
JonnyB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Perfect pitch helps a lot (lol)

Some revision into the composers of each era would do a lot of favours, as well as, as someone mentioned remembering those cadences. Dictation can be a bit tricky.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1365)
79.73%
Leave (347)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed