Turn on thread page Beta

All three Sciences at A Level watch

It's AS, and I am dropping it. Still nice to get a decent grade though, like a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    It's AS, and I am dropping it. Still nice to get a decent grade though, like a C.
    If you want at least a C, then you can't be that bad at Physics?

Hey take comfort in knowing the fact that I'm more likely to get a D or E or even U in Physics if I had taken it However bad you are, you must be better than me

(Original post by irisng)
    If you want at least a C, then you can't be that bad at Physics?

Hey take comfort in knowing the fact that I'm more likely to get a D or E or even U in Physics if I had taken it However bad you are, you must be better than me
    Well, my January module was a d, so a C is being generous. Though that's the hardest module, and I'm retaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Well, my January module was a d, so a C is being generous. Though that's the hardest module, and I'm retaking.
    lol i took three sciences for AS with geology. I love science and had all A* in those 4 subjects last year. however if you are taking them be sure to work your ass off! i just couldn't be botherred and did't work or revise in jan and had UUD!! so now im resitting and havent had time to revise due to coursework! needless to say im gunna fail. I find biology incredibly boring at AS so I'm dropping it this yr and taking an AS in maths next year hopefully, as it is really important for the physics! good luck anyway! just don't be lazy like me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smurfride)
    lol i took three sciences for AS with geology. I love science and had all A* in those 4 subjects last year. however if you are taking them be sure to work your ass off! i just couldn't be botherred and did't work or revise in jan and had UUD!! so now im resitting and havent had time to revise due to coursework! needless to say im gunna fail. I find biology incredibly boring at AS so I'm dropping it this yr and taking an AS in maths next year hopefully, as it is really important for the physics! good luck anyway! just don't be lazy like me!
    Reminds me how lucky I was with my AS grades... :|

Best of luck!

And Tis_me_lord well good luck anyway with Physics. Hey a D isn't a bad grade - that's 50% I wouldn't even get 50% had I taken it! Besides depending on how high a D it was, plus you're resitting anyway, it might be possible to bump it up to a B - it's not impossible! Good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I do all three at A2. I wouldn't say the workload is AWFUL as such, but from speaking to friends and other people, its far more than 3 non science subjects at A2 level. In my opinion, Physics is the hardest, closely followed by chemistry and then biology. However, biology has the greatest course content by far, my biology notes for the forthcoming exams are at least double in volume than those of my chemistry notes already, and im not done yet. Then again, im not excellent at the sciences, i got BCC in my AS levels, retook a few modules and got ABB, but im pretty certain i will fall down from the ABB in A2 exams. At this point in time (around a month before the exams start) its pretty difficult, im having real trouble revising, but that has probably got something to do with the fact that it isnt revision, moreso learning everything for the first time because of some appalling teaching in my college.

ReputationRep:
    i went half and half because i liked both arts and sciences. I do English, R.E, Biology and chemistry. Biology is very difficult i must warn you! it was the biggest jump from GCSE to AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcharodon)
    taking all sciences is easier than juggline arts and sciences!! id know taking 3 arts a-level and 2 science
    THAT IS VERY TRUE!!! i do two arts and two sciences....(english lit, art, maths and biology) and i have to say the work load for the arts is alot more than the sciences, also all the subjects are so different and so it becomes difficult because you cant link them and you have to make time for each individual subject.... i have to say if you kNOW you want a career in science,, then go for it - it will benifit you if you have three sciences

ReputationRep:
    I'm returning to study as a mature student and have decided on the A level route rather than Access which seems to limit the courses you can apply to.
    I will definitely be going in the science direction, be it pharmacy or dentistry, but my GCSE's werent that great. Got straight A's in the sciences but the biggest worry is English Lang/Lit in which I only got two C's. I know I could have easily bettered them-- I was just a lazy 16 year-old who didnt care much about studies. The best science-related degrees and universities tend to request B (min C's) in English GCSE, but i know i'd be at a disadvantage compared to people who got straight A'a.

I was thinking of doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and AS Physics but my GCSE's dont really reflect good communication skills that you'd probably need to prove on some of the tougher courses before they accept you. I did get a B in Humanities GCSE and am interested in History A level. Would i be better off doing an AS in History rather than physics? It would improve my essay writing skills and prove good communication skills, and a more "rounded" student? Any thoughts?
    The workload should be eased a bit because i'm working through Heinemann maths books right now, i'm nearly a third through the A level content so hopefully by next June i'll have my Maths exams out the way.

(Original post by irisng)
    And Tis_me_lord well good luck anyway with Physics. Hey a D isn't a bad grade - that's 50% I wouldn't even get 50% had I taken it! Besides depending on how high a D it was, plus you're resitting anyway, it might be possible to bump it up to a B - it's not impossible! Good luck anyway!
    Getting a B in this module really would be impossible. I want a C in it. Then B's in the other. B overall, maybe. That's kinda best case scenario!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I'm returning to study as a mature student and have decided on the A level route rather than Access which seems to limit the courses you can apply to.
    I will definitely be going in the science direction, be it pharmacy or dentistry, but my GCSE's werent that great. Got straight A's in the sciences but the biggest worry is English Lang/Lit in which I only got two C's. I know I could have easily bettered them-- I was just a lazy 16 year-old who didnt care much about studies. The best science-related degrees and universities tend to request B (min C's) in English GCSE, but i know i'd be at a disadvantage compared to people who got straight A'a.

I was thinking of doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and AS Physics but my GCSE's dont really reflect good communication skills that you'd probably need to prove on some of the tougher courses before they accept you. I did get a B in Humanities GCSE and am interested in History A level. Would i be better off doing an AS in History rather than physics? It would improve my essay writing skills and prove good communication skills, and a more "rounded" student? Any thoughts?
    The workload should be eased a bit because i'm working through Heinemann maths books right now, i'm nearly a third through the A level content so hopefully by next June i'll have my Maths exams out the way.
    The universities you apply to should be quite flexible as you're a mature student, so hopefully your GCSE grades won't matter as much. I think you're right about AS history being a better option for you, especially as you only got a C in English. A lot of medical schools prefer you to have at least one contrasting subject, and I don't think physics is that relevant to medicine. History is a pretty good subject and not too difficult, so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I hope you're right about History not being too difficult. TSR members scare me-- trawling through the threads, most people seem to say its hard to the extent where some think they have received random grades. Other say they don't understand what the fuss is about.

Ah well, now I just hope they don't clash. I'll be frequenting TSR more often no doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    Why is maths simpler than physics? I've heard this so many times at my college people find maths ok but hate physics! Is maths easier or something? I don't get it.
    I do maths and physics AS. If you do maths, you have the text book there for each module. Do every question in the maths module book, which, if you work fast enough, you can do in a week or two, and you're on your way to 100% in that module for maths.

However, physics is different. You have to practise the methods, and understand calculations like in maths, but on top of that, you have a fair bit of definitions to learn, and understand concepts which can take hours to get a feel for. Plus, I have found no decent physics textbooks which you can just work through and get a good grade at the end of the course.

-Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguy)
    I do maths and physics AS. If you do maths, you have the text book there for each module. Do every question in the maths module book, which, if you work fast enough, you can do in a week or two, and you're on your way to 100% in that module for maths.

However, physics is different. You have to practise the methods, and understand calculations like in maths, but on top of that, you have a fair bit of definitions to learn, and understand concepts which can take hours to get a feel for. Plus, I have found no decent physics textbooks which you can just work through and get a good grade at the end of the course.

-Mike
    He's right (although working through the modules in Maths wont get you an A, the exam questions are more complex in comparison and need much more practice).

I did a bit of A level physics and maths years ago, physics was definitely the harder one to get to grips with. I did Maths A level in comparison in one year with no probs. The maths in A level physics is pretty straightforward. The tricky part is to know how/where to apply your maths, how to apply the concepts and forumulas. My Physics teacher was excellent but he always commented on the fact examiners purposely wording questions in a complicated manner in order to throw students off. He felt this was the main problem in physics-- students not understanding the question. I agree completely.

BTW i bought this Physics A level book by oxford university press, supposed to be pretty good and so far (i've had it a month) i can work through it and understand it quite easily. The layout on double-spreads is quality: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing all 3 science and it's actually ok...the workload compared to subjects like art is actually not that bad. i take 3 sciences with maths...and i chose to do! and it was really easy for me cos of Physics. I didn't talk M2 cos I've already finished my Alevel Maths...but it's easy for Physics people. My timetable is quite nice cos the science lessons are always scheduled so that we can choose to go to whichever class we feel like for the subject, but that of course depends on your school.

But right now...someone please bloody hell remind why on earth i took physics for alevel. ;_;

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.