Least Amount of Qualifications to go Uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
Natmarjus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starbuck*)
Hehe we don't do exams which most people think is fantastic except me...how am I supposed to get exam practice if I don't do them now ay?! :rolleyes:
really dont you?? is your course approved by qaa? i thought u had to take exams? i have a chem exam tomorrow and just revising! cant believe they are giving us alevel papers!! so hard! lol but got 85 % woohoo!
magiccarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Shuuurtttt Upppp!!!!!! :eek: :mad:
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
Shuuurtttt Upppp!!!!!! :eek: :mad:
:confused: What's up?
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
im tryiong to be horrible cos i want more red gems than yellowtaxi
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
im tryiong to be horrible cos i want more red gems than yellowtaxi
lol! Why do you want to do that? Red gems are baaadddddddd! As are warning points! :p:
*starbuck*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Natmarjus)
really dont you?? is your course approved by qaa? i thought u had to take exams? i have a chem exam tomorrow and just revising! cant believe they are giving us alevel papers!! so hard! lol but got 85 % woohoo!
Yep tis approved by the qaa, got top marks last year hence head of year boasting about it being best in the country. :rolleyes: She hates exams and didn't do well in them when she was at school, so when she returned to education didn't do well in them for her access course either so now she's in charge she's practically banned them. We regularly take assignments home for Physics, do everything in class for Chem (except write ups which are generally homework) and have done ONE time restricted essay in Biology but that's it really. Oh we did do one exam, but it was a 20 question multiple choice that we could re-do if we didn't pass (only needed 40% to pass) so I don't really count that as an exam!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
My university does a degree called 'surf science'. However, much to the dismay of the people on the course, it is bascially oceanography with a fanciful name.
I know what you mean, some people though my course was messing about in photoshop for 3 years, some of them had a shock when they realised 80% of course invovled programming or protocols/networking and the other 20% crappy filler modules such as business.
Natmarjus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yep tis approved by the qaa, got top marks last year hence head of year boasting about it being best in the country. :rolleyes: She hates exams and didn't do well in them when she was at school, so when she returned to education didn't do well in them for her access course either so now she's in charge she's practically banned them. We regularly take assignments home for Physics, do everything in class for Chem (except write ups which are generally homework) and have done ONE time restricted essay in Biology but that's it really. Oh we did do one exam, but it was a 20 question multiple choice that we could re-do if we didn't pass (only needed 40% to pass) so I don't really count that as an exam!
OMG jammy mare lol! we have assignmetns on every unit! and tests! and exams at the end of term! i wish i had gone to yours now! are u going to uni?? where are other people off your course going?
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All courses are validated by QAA so standards would be the same for all the uni's.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
I know what you mean, some people though my course was messing about in photoshop for 3 years, some of them had a shock when they realised 80% of course invovled programming or protocols/networking and the other 20% crappy filler modules such as business.
I'm assuming that your course, Multimedia and Internet Technology involves programming then.

According to the course content, only the first year involves a lot of programming, while the other years have less of it. :confused:
*starbuck*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OMG jammy mare lol! we have assignmetns on every unit! and tests! and exams at the end of term! i wish i had gone to yours now! are u going to uni?? where are other people off your course going?
I just got an offer for Physics at Queen Mary this morning :elefant: but unfortunately I have to get all 22 credits at level 3. I say unfortunately because there are 2 optional units (Musculo-skeletal system and Digestive system) that I wrote on my UCAS form that I intended to go over Christmas/Easter that I haven't actually started yet...so I was hoping they'd make me an offer of 20 or 21 so I wouldn't have to do them. Each one is a 2000 word essay!

The majority of people on my course are doing Nursing degrees at either Hallam or Derby (closest to home as they have children and can't move away) although there are people going to Nottingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Coventry to do Dietetics, Radiography and Physiotherapy.

Oooo yay I'm all happy now I've finally got an offer...everyone else had their sorted months ago but because I withdrew my application for Physio and had to apply through Extra it took much longer!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
oi!

my dissertation was only 4,500 words - it's quality not quantity:p:
:eek: If it is that short you could write it up between lectures! :p:
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
If it had only involved writing and not lab work, field work, sample processing and data analysis then yep:p:
Seeeeee easy peasy!

Out of interest, what is your degree in?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I'm assuming that your course, Multimedia and Internet Technology involves programming then.

According to the course content, only the first year involves a lot of programming, while the other years have less of it. :confused:
Where does it say that?

This is a translation to what the modules actually mean

Web Page Design – basic theory of web design , HTML, using Macromedia Dreamweaver - HTML
Music & Audio Technology – the principles of Midi, using Cubase - This may have to change but this also involved studying some of the physics of accustics.
Introduction to Digital Technology – an overview of the digital technology used in networked computer systems. This is a new module so I have no idea what it is.
Business Systems – how the internet is used by business - A filler business module.
Multimedia Programming – an introduction to Multimedia using Visual Basic - VB6 mickey mouse introduction to programming module.
Web-based Data Systems – introduction to databases - Mickey mouse Access database module, I got 80% without putting any effort in.
Animation Techniques – animation for the web using Macromedia Flash - I found this really difficult and involves programming.
Introduction to Computers & Networks – architecture of PC’s and network systems
Fundamentals of Video – theory of video and practical digital video production- The exam in this is really hard, you have to understand how a colour analogue TV signal is broadcasted, a lot of physics in this module.
Group Design Project – project management techniques and a group based project - This is an important module on projectment management but I found it boring.

Level 2
High Level Programming – an introduction to C programming - You have to produce a naughts and crosses game in C which should play against the computer, not an easy module as such but I really enjoyed it.
Network Technology – planning and managing a computer network system. - This involves both the theory of networking and the actual practise in Windows 2003 Server.
Computing & Design – graphic design using Adobe Photoshop and Multimedia design using Macromedia Director - As the title says, it wasn't difficult but was time consuming, director also invovles some programming.
Entrepreneurial Principles & Techniques – an introduction to management - A crappy filler module which is basicaly A level business studies with a different slant.
Computer Audio Systems – audio recording techniques and practices - I found this module really hard, we had to study basic accustics and record a perfect radio recording, it is surprisingly much harder than you would think.
Server Side Programming – programming data driven web sites in ASP and PHP on different server technologies. - This is done in two parts, the first is to produce an online shop in ASP, the second is to produce an auction site in PHP, I really injoyed both of these and I think I got more out of this module than any others.
Programming on the Internet – an introduction to Java - You basicialy have to produce a game in a Java applet. Quite complex programming is involved.
Group Design Project – a web based group project - Again this involves quite a of programming as we had to produce quite an advanced site.

Level 3
Project – a major individual project in an area of your choice - This is a major programming module where you have to produce a major application of some sort, carry out researchand write a dissertation.
Video & Audio Post Production – advanced video and audio editing techniques - Can be good fun but it is really really time consuming. - No programming invovled.
Graphics Programming – advanced C++ for Windows programming - We have to write a windows calculator in MFC C++ which has presidence.
Satellite & Mobile Communications – satellite and wireless data transmission techniques - All about wireless communcations.
Computing & Design – evaluation of complex computer software - All about usability engineering but you have to produce an application so some basic programming is involved.
Web Services – development of XML Web Services via Visual Studio.NET - This is perhaps the most advanced programming module on the course, its fairly tricky but ok when you get the hang of it, its done in C# ASP.NET.
Advanced Multimedia Protocols – theory of providing multimedia applications over a network - This is difficult, we have to lots of encoding such as Huffman and Fuarier.
Multimedia Systems – advanced Visual Basic programming - This module has been crapped as it was VB6 whichis now outdated.
Entrepreneurial Management – advanced management techniques - Another easy business module.

As you can see behind those module titles there is an awful lot of programming though not as much as computer science.

PQ my dissertation and project was worth 40 credits though which is a huge chunk of my degree.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Geology

My dissertation involved logging a section of dorset coast, collecting samples and analysing the clay content of the samples (via x-ray diffraction) to narrow down the palaeoenvironments of the sequence.
Sounds easy, we did that in GCSE geography. :p:

Only joking it sounds quite scientific and time consuming, I have no idea what x-ray diffraction or palaeoenvironments of the sequence is.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, it does involve a lot of programming, but not as much as CS though. I don't see much difference in the programming languages used in CS and your course though.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
basically 153 million years ago it was hot and dry in dorset, somerset, cornwall and devon
So not much as changed then? Apart from may be the temperatures, when I look at the weather forcasts it never seems any warmer than Manchester, but the big difference seems to be is that area gets much much more sun shine.

I would rather have sun shine though, its sunny and 17c see out there with a nice subtle wind, its lovely outside.

PS Sorry for making this thread go slightly off topic.
Natmarjus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just got an offer for Physics at Queen Mary this morning :elefant: but unfortunately I have to get all 22 credits at level 3. I say unfortunately because there are 2 optional units (Musculo-skeletal system and Digestive system) that I wrote on my UCAS form that I intended to go over Christmas/Easter that I haven't actually started yet...so I was hoping they'd make me an offer of 20 or 21 so I wouldn't have to do them. Each one is a 2000 word essay!

The majority of people on my course are doing Nursing degrees at either Hallam or Derby (closest to home as they have children and can't move away) although there are people going to Nottingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Coventry to do Dietetics, Radiography and Physiotherapy.

Oooo yay I'm all happy now I've finally got an offer...everyone else had their sorted months ago but because I withdrew my application for Physio and had to apply through Extra it took much longer!
your lucky!! i wish my courseworks were only 2000 word essays! so unfair! had chem exam today and i breezed thru it as did another 2 people but the rest thought it was awful! People on our course are going into pharmacy, biomedical science, physio, midwifery and nursing! also 2 paramedics and a radiographer! I applied for queen mary to do forensics but i withfrew my app for there as was 2 far to travel each day! so glad i got into ucl i cant belive it! congrats on ur offer BTW!
*starbuck*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
your lucky!! i wish my courseworks were only 2000 word essays! so unfair! had chem exam today and i breezed thru it as did another 2 people but the rest thought it was awful! People on our course are going into pharmacy, biomedical science, physio, midwifery and nursing! also 2 paramedics and a radiographer! I applied for queen mary to do forensics but i withfrew my app for there as was 2 far to travel each day! so glad i got into ucl i cant belive it! congrats on ur offer BTW!

:eek: I've never written an essay that long in my life!!!! Apparently that's all they're supposed to be though for level 3 work. I hate writing essays - hence choosing science subjects and not english/history/psych. We actually had to be taught how to structure an essay back in September but I can't remember a word of it...something to do with topic sentences and linking introduction to conclusion! LOL :confused: I really wanted to do Maths but they didn't offer it last year because apparently there was not enough interest! Oh there is someone doing Midwifery and Paramedics, although the woman who has a place on the Paramedics course hasn't been in for about 6 weeks so goodness knows how she's going to even pass!

I was looking at forensics too...that was my initial choice but I thought Physics would be more flexible.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
So not much as changed then? Apart from may be the temperatures, when I look at the weather forcasts it never seems any warmer than Manchester, but the big difference seems to be is that area gets much much more sun shine.

I would rather have sun shine though, its sunny and 17c see out there with a nice subtle wind, its lovely outside.

PS Sorry for making this thread go slightly off topic.
Westcountry weather is annoyingly unpredictable! The other day, me and my mate decided to go sit outside for a cuppa since the sun was shining....by the time we actually made the tea and get to the door, it was starting to rain! :eek:

Also sorry for off-topicness! hehe
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads