Turn on thread page Beta

You can't be Scottish...it's not allowed! watch

ReputationRep:
    ...apparantly. Went to a well known London hospital today and was asked my nationality when registering, by the girl on reception. I replied British, as always. Imagine my surprise when i was told that "British" wasn't an option on their computer system! "Ok then, just put Scottish" i said. Then it started getting silly. "Sorry," said the girl, "you can't be that either". So I asked what options they DID have. "Well," said the girl, "We have Bengali, Moroccon, Pakistani, Greek...." the list went on, "...and English".

No Welsh, no Northern Irish, no Scottish, not even British, just English. "Looks like i'll have to be English then," I said.

"What's you're religion" asked the girl. "Presbyterian" I said. "We don't have that as an option" said the girl. Quelle suprise!!

"Protestant then" i said. "Sorry, we only have Church of England for Protestants" she said. "Will that do?"

"Oh for God's sake, just stick me down as "other"..."

what is the world coming to? am i the only one who thinks this is ridiculous??! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    thats sad and ingorant... I mean they should be able to type in any religion because there are so many

English but not Scottish. what the hell is wrong with them? since when was English a nationality? on my passport it says British

ReputationRep:
    wonder if they had agnostic as an option...

ReputationRep:
    There are too many religions for a 'whats you religion' database to be made.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such nationality as British or Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expredders)
    eh? how come i got a British passport then? I refuse to be English...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expredders)
    Rubbish! I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, and regard myself as both British and Scottish, certainly not English! What ru trying to say?? that i am English by default??!

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous, same thing over here if your native american. You can't be cherokee or shoshone or apache or whatever your just a native american. There's no definitions for the different tribes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    It's ridiculous, same thing over here if your native american. You can't be cherokee or shoshone or apache or whatever your just a native american. There's no definitions for the different tribes.
    but this is even worse...i mean if you're cherokee then it is at least true that you're native american...i'm definately not english in any way, shape or form...bizarre. guess they were trying so hard to be politically correct they forgot about their own nation.

on a brighter note...WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why kick up a fuss about something that doesn't really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    Why kick up a fuss about something that doesn't really matter?
    Considering the number of *cough* pointless threads on this board i thought this one wasn't that bad actually...at least it has some sort of point
    maybe it doesn't really matter to you, but it does to me, and i wanted to see what others thought.
    So, in answer to you're (slightly ignorant :rolleyes: ) question, that's why. no offence meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Considering the number of *cough* pointless threads on this board i thought this one wasn't that bad actually...at least it has some sort of point
    maybe it doesn't really matter to you, but it does to me, and i wanted to see what others thought.
    So, in answer to you're (slightly ignorant :rolleyes: ) question, that's why. no offence meant.
    Yeah, I just dislike flag-saluters. You're right. Oh and people who think beliefs and values define them, you define you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    Yeah, I just dislike flag-saluters. You're right. Oh and people who think beliefs and values define them, you define you.
    So what flag do you salute? If none that's fine - if one that's hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    ...apparantly. Went to a well known London hospital today and was asked my nationality when registering, by the girl on reception. I replied British, as always. Imagine my surprise when i was told that "British" wasn't an option on their computer system! "Ok then, just put Scottish" i said. Then it started getting silly. "Sorry," said the girl, "you can't be that either". So I asked what options they DID have. "Well," said the girl, "We have Bengali, Moroccon, Pakistani, Greek...." the list went on, "...and English".

No Welsh, no Northern Irish, no Scottish, not even British, just English. "Looks like i'll have to be English then," I said.

"What's you're religion" asked the girl. "Presbyterian" I said. "We don't have that as an option" said the girl. Quelle suprise!!

"Protestant then" i said. "Sorry, we only have Church of England for Protestants" she said. "Will that do?"

"Oh for God's sake, just stick me down as "other"..."

what is the world coming to? am i the only one who thinks this is ridiculous??! :rolleyes:
    Oh My God! That is awful! What other religions did they list? If I'd gone in there and said 'Jewish' and they'd said that wasn't an option, I'd have gone to my lawyer over anti semitism!

Which hospital was this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Oh My God! That is awful! What other religions did they list? If I'd gone in there and said 'Jewish' and they'd said that wasn't an option, I'd have gone to my lawyer over anti semitism!

Which hospital was this?
    You would come under 'other'. What's anti-semitic about that? Following through your argument anyone who didn't come under the umbrella of 'protestant' would be climbing on their high horses and claiming 'anti (this or that)'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

Which hospital was this?
    How would that be anti-Semetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    You would come under 'other'. What's anti-semitic about that? Following through your argument anyone who didn't come under the umbrella of 'protestant' would be climbing on their high horses and claiming 'anti (this or that)'.
    it looks as though everyone would come under "other" on this database... hmmmm
    Lyd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    How would that be anti-Semetic?
    Denial of Judaism as a religion in the UK. I'm not 'other', I'm 'Jewish' thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giddylid1)
    it looks as though everyone would come under "other" on this database... hmmmm
    Lyd
    Yes, that's my point ' it's not driscrimanatory apart from not been able to qualify anything other than protestant (which is the supposed established religion in this country. I'm not protestant incidentally.
    The most important point is that you can insist on it being noted that you want a minister/rabbi etc. if you become seriously ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Denial of Judaism as a religion in the UK. I'm not 'other', I'm 'Jewish' thank you.
    It is quite easy to describe something as anti-semetic. All it is, is words. But the insult and often hurt caused by such a comment would be longer lasting. I think you should think about such comments before saying them. It would more than likely be a stupid mistake.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.