This discussion is closed.
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well, the election has taken place...when are we going to find out whats happening for the future?
I don't think it's going to be great news (mainly on the flying side); have heard a variety of rumours from a variety of different people.

Also, does anyone have any gen on what's happening with bursaries?
High Best Cold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by InaSpin)
Well, the election has taken place...when are we going to find out whats happening for the future?
I don't think it's going to be great news (mainly on the flying side); have heard a variety of rumours from a variety of different people.

Also, does anyone have any gen on what's happening with bursaries?
I was at Leuchars this weekend in the Hadrian ( inter UAS soccer) which the premier UAS won btw . yeah heard some more rumours from there guys, gonna be more of an OTC type org with 10 hours AEF type flying per year , but current studes get to finish EFT. but like i say all tales !
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The smart money's on 10 hours nominally per stude per annum, all UASs staying open, and three taking on all of the DE burden. That's likely to be Wyton, Cranwell and Fenton, and all studes; even if you've done your 10-ish hours per year; will do a full, standardised EFT at one of the three "big" UASs.
Debussy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do you think there'll be any effect on ground branch places??? i know there's hardly any as it is...
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by medic_bex)
do you think there'll be any effect on ground branch places??? i know there's hardly any as it is...
No, I don't think so. Especially in your sort of field, we're so short of people that I imagine your sponsorship'll be safe. And blunties are effectively free.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Everything is rumour at the minute. I've heard a hundred and one stories. Its all about waiting until the report is out. Apparently that should have been April....guess the RAF wait is on. I'm hedging my bets on what Wzz said, full EFT being done after IOT on one of three super bases which would let the current UASs stay open and take pressure off of students who want to go into the air force. Make the most sense.
Lady Venom
Rep:
?
Thats the rumour I heard, with 10 hours per year for pilots and groundies with no syllabus (AEF instructors and one RAF QFI per Sqn. PPRUNE (mil section) has quite a detailed thread on it).
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps a good time to mention PPRuNe's notoriety, what the "Ru" stands for, and how much crap there is on that thread!
Debussy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
does anyone know when we'll find out what these changes will be??
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
... as soon as the new defence secretary can be bothered to have a look at the proposals.
Lady Venom
Rep:
?
Bit overdue now.....

we can probs all guess the outcome anyway...it's going to be pants!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it's good practice for all the restreaming, goalpost moving, and general faff you'll meet at BFJT and beyond. At the end of the day, someone still has to come and fly, so it may as well be all of you here; and why be sad if you have to spend 6 months doing EFT after IOT? It's just time you would have spent holding, and trust me, you'll do it better...!
High Best Cold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right the out come is from our boss, the 10 hours per year being a kind of structured AEF type syllabus. But I also heard for those who complete the flying will end up with a UK PPL so that aint so bad. Wzz is definatley right we will benefit from continuity and not having a degree to do also by doing EFT after IOT plus if you've done a fair bit of flying on your UAS already that can only be an advantage for EFT again cant it? Atleast we should get more chance to develop officer qualities after all these are very very important too!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're half right! Right now, if you finish UAS EFT in its current, 60 hour, guise, then you're eligible for accreditation with the CAA. You wind up with a UK PPL, valid on the Tutor. Take that to a flying club, bash out a couple of hours on a C172, and there you go, a 172 tick's added to your PPL and you're away.

This accreditation is based on the 60 hour EFT course. It is absolutely not based on a dumbed-down, pointless, continuity-devoid 10 hour-per-year course. With such a haphazard course you will not be eligible for a PPL.

Also, with 10 hours per year of "air experience" I think it's stretching things to call yourself a pilot. On the bright side, that should tone down some UAS egos a little bit. On the bad side, it's not going to make you any younger on the front line. Again on the good side though, at least that's one hold taken up by EFT...

... I still think, overall, it's a good move. But the token 10 hours-per-year is a bit of a waste.

Edited to point out this is Wzz, having a faff with accounts... apologies!
Lady Venom
Rep:
?
Apparently we heard also that if say someone does use up their 10 hours per year the spare hours get shared around
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (194)
55.11%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.92%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.36%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.38%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.26%

Watched Threads