Which one is more respected by universities
Which one is more enjoyable
Which one is easiest
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Computing will be better. It's interesting and respectable by universities. This gives you a better background for computing type degrees at uni than ICT. In my opinion, it's easy and hard in some way.

I'm assuming you will be following AQA for Computing: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...11-W-SP-06.pdf
goku999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ICT i think is jus about learning the many functions from the microsoft office.
E.g. learn how to use microsoft work and excel. You learn the more advanced stuff in it.

Computing however is a different A-Level altogether. it is more respected as trev has said because as well as learning the microsoft stuff in access, excel etc, u learn how to program using languages and u also learn about the computers in general.
Like the processing of data and security.

Computing i think is more flexible but its also what you want to. Are you more interested in the programming and learning computers in general or are you looking for further learning using microsoft word and excel?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ICT and computing have some overlaps especially the the hardware and software stuff and the laws and Acs (e.g. data protection act and laws like that). In addition, I know some more stuff overlaps. However, the overlap stuff will be covered in more detail in Computing than in ICT.

Computing is more interesting especially the coursework. You get to learn about programming languages the most along withe databases and web stuff.

In conlusion, you should pick Computing as it's a better foundation and introduction to computing type courses in uni.
Tindo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Which one is more respected by universities: I guess Computing, but you dont need it for whatsoever degree.
Which one is more enjoyable: Computing
Which one is easiest: ICT
The Colonel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks for everyones help! I think you have clarified things for me. Trev it would actually be edexcel not aqa syllabus though.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not many uni's don't have Computing or ICT as an entry requirements as they will teach you the basics in the first year. Since you are planning to do one of them, it gives you advantage over other people who hasn't done it.

You should choose Computing as the stuff will be useful for a degree course.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Colonel)
Thanks for everyones help! I think you have clarified things for me. Trev it would actually be edexcel not aqa syllabus though.
Alright. Here's the Edexcel one: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualificat....aspx?id=48165

I'm assuming you are choosing Computing after all? :p:
The Colonel
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
Alright. Here's the Edexcel one: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualificat....aspx?id=48165

I'm assuming you are choosing Computing after all? :p:
Yeah Cheers Trev
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah Cheers Trev
Welcome.

Glad you chose Computing over ICT! :p:
kidda_puttar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tindo)
Which one is easiest: ICT
NO! No no no no no!

I guess you are not aware that only 3.5% of entrants gain an A-grade in ICT?
The Colonel
Rep:
?
(Original post by abhineyjain)
NO! No no no no no!

I guess you are not aware that only 3.5% of entrants gain an A-grade in ICT?
NO i wasn't out of interest do you know what it is for Computing?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
NO i wasn't out of interest do you know what it is for Computing?
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...ort_master.pdf (scroll down to p.21 in acrobat reader, it's p.17 on the examiners report).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads