The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
same. i'm doing econ2. I'm a bit annoyed with econ1. I was ill on the day. just scrapped an A somehow with witchcraft or something though. I hate how time is such an issue with these exams.
Reply 2
I'm taking both of these exams, I have done no revision, just relying on LOGIC for the exam, that's all economics is; logic.
Reply 3
I wouldn't say it's nothing but logic but it certainly plays a bit part. That and exam technique which I really don't have. But yeah, once you read enough in the textbook you start to see how it's all very obviously just a big connected puzzle that comes together.
htn
I'm taking both of these exams, I have done no revision, just relying on LOGIC for the exam, that's all economics is; logic.

I must admit out of the 4 class assessments which I've done, when I didn't revise I got a slightly higher mark in the 3 which I didn't revise for than the one I carefully prepared for.
Reply 6

surely this is the thread to keep though because it's in the correct forum?
Reply 7
Tallon
surely this is the thread to keep though because it's in the correct forum?

I'm not saying which thread should be where all I'm saying is there's already a thread.
Reply 8
None of these threads are active anyway, so who gives a ****?

Is any one taking it easy today? :p:
I can't get motivated to revise for this exam.
as i have politics on the same day and politics requires more revision economics is being abondonned even though i got a C in unit1
Reply 10
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SIK
as i have politics on the same day and politics requires more revision economics is being abondonned even though i got a C in unit1

I remember you from last year (GCSE time)!

How're things going? :p:

Still haven't revised, lulz.
Fiasco
I remember you from last year (GCSE time)!

How're things going? :p:

Still haven't revised, lulz.

Ye you did 21st science, i have not made the step up from gcse to Alevel and hope to do well in tomorrows unit to push My econ grade to at least a B
Reply 12
any idea what might come up for the part a) definition questions for both papers?
Reply 13
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SIK
Ye you did 21st science, i have not made the step up from gcse to Alevel and hope to do well in tomorrows unit to push My econ grade to at least a B

Good luck tomorrow!

I have both units to do, so my entire grade is decided tomorrow...
Reply 14
How much do you have to write for question 1 of section B, the definition. It's worth 5 marks but all the mark schemes have just a one line answer. Does that get you the full 5 marks?
Reply 15
yep it does.. as long as the definition is perfect, one line is enough.
Reply 16
rgjf1307
How much do you have to write for question 1 of section B, the definition. It's worth 5 marks but all the mark schemes have just a one line answer. Does that get you the full 5 marks?

from Tutor2u

In part (a) questions on the new AQA AS micro and macro papers, students are required to provide a short definition of a term - the question carries 5 marks. But do students have to write at greater length to obtain full marks? The answer is no.

A reading of the examiners’ report from the January 2009 papers finds that

“To achieve full marks for part (a), a short but accurate definition is all that is required. As long as the candidate shows that they understand the term, full marks will be awarded.”

“Perhaps the main weakness when answering the early parts of the questions lay in writing too much and wrongly believing that, because the marks available were roughly double than had been the case in the legacy examinations, more needed to be written.”

“An accurate one or two sentence definition is sufficient for full marks. A whole paragraph is not required.”

One of the macro questions asked candidates to define ‘labour productivity’.

A simple statement such as ‘Labour productivity is a measure of the amount of output produced per person employed’ was sufficient to earn the marks.

A clear, concise and accurate definition is all that is required to gain full marks for part (a) of the data response question for the new specification. It is not necessary to write at length, but some candidates wasted valuable time by doing so.

Numerical examples can sometimes help - the report mentions that “With some answers, the verbal explanation was not entirely clear but the use of a numerical example demonstrated that the candidate understood the concept.”

This is important and useful advice and will help students to minimise time spent on the early questions allowing more time for the longer analysis and evaluation questions.

So yeah. Make sure you define it correctly and clearly and move on.
Reply 17
For anyone taking ECON2, I have a document entitled COMMON EXAMINATION ERRORS TO AVOID IN ECON2. There is a link to it on an earlier post HERE
Reply 18
allrounder
For anyone taking ECON2, I have a document entitled COMMON EXAMINATION ERRORS TO AVOID IN ECON2. There is a link to it on an earlier post HERE

Do you have one for unit 1 as well?
Reply 19
rgjf1307
Do you have one for unit 1 as well?

This might help: Exam_Technique_Advice.doc

Latest

Trending

Trending