Turn on thread page Beta

For those who want extra marks in their exams... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    What if one of your parents is being held hostage by terrorists abroad?
    I think that still counts some how, lol.

ReputationRep:
    hmm. where were these rules implemented?

ReputationRep:
    I think the headache thing is too much. Anyone can claim to have headache. Anyways it is nice news.

Zain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    LOL!

"Dear Mr Examiner,
    I'm having a rough time today. I had a row with my boyfriend last night, and he stormed out of the house and drove off really quickly. Whilst doing so he ran over my cat, dog, tortoise, and hamster. It was truly terrible, I am sure you can see the tear-stains on this page. As he relaised what he had done, he reversed the car to come and assist me, unfortunately he ran over 4 immediate relatives, and 4 more distant relatives in the process...
    I really can't go on, but by my calculations I have now gained 100% in this exam.
    Sincerely,
    A very troubled young lady."
    edit: good story though

i think its the percentage of the marks you gain, not the total marks available

ReputationRep:
    I never got any extra marks and i did my A levels whilst i was in hosptial (i came out of hospital to sit them). :mad:

ReputationRep:
    so if i was really desperate for an A, i could just kill all my family and pets and then bang my head against a wall and i'd be sorted?! :confused: tempting!!

ReputationRep:
    Extra marks for a headache? I did the majority of my GCSE exams with a heavy cold and I still managed to do fine. :rolleyes:

(Original post by fluffball)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4527129.stm

They all count!
    Thats really interesting...

I read it in the paper this morning and it said how they had considered extra marks for things like fire alarms and mobile phones going off too which is shocking!! It is really interesting as I didn't do my GCSEs as I had been really ill but the exam board said I had to resit the year and we complained and they gave me special consideration and just gave me some GCSEs which was very nice of them. I don't know if I schools being able to give anyone extra time if they see fit without actually needing to provide proof that someone needs it..

ReputationRep:
    insane

tho i did have a massive panic attack in my media exam in january...tho i still only got an E i wonder if under new circumstances i'd have been better off :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its stupid, because i went into most of my exams for A-Level with a headache and no-one said anything to me about getting extra marks for it!

ReputationRep:
    A fire alarm has gone on today when the afternoon exams started. Do they get extra marks? :p:

By the way, it's not me having the exam, I think it was the year 11s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    LOL!

"Dear Mr Examiner,
    I'm having a rough time today. I had a row with my boyfriend last night, and he stormed out of the house and drove off really quickly. Whilst doing so he ran over my cat, dog, tortoise, and hamster. It was truly terrible, I am sure you can see the tear-stains on this page. As he relaised what he had done, he reversed the car to come and assist me, unfortunately he ran over 4 immediate relatives, and 4 more distant relatives in the process...
    I really can't go on, but by my calculations I have now gained 100% in this exam.
    Sincerely,
    A very troubled young lady."
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have megrains or however you spell it like and I never got extra marks!!! Can I tell that I think that I might in those two days when I start exams at 10 in the morning and finish at 8 at night!!! I might say that due to the stress... A friend my my home town died one that of the mock exams and no one cared about it! (i came to know it 30 minutes before the exam!) and that saturday night... I had a row with my best friend and came back to my school (I'm a boarding student) to tell me... that he'd broken up with his boyfriend and HE WAS IN LOVE WITH ME!!! and I had to cheer him up... but how!? does that count? NO! But does the the of a pet count? and a headache??? I think it's stupid! By the way... if my parents die... I'd still go to the exam... they would be angry if I would not go!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if they would give extra marks if you have a panic attack. If they do then I have just missed out, big time. Some of my GCSEs turned out to be of lower grades than expected because I sat in the exam crying, wishing to be elsewhere and at one point forgetting who I was, where I was and what the hell I was doing there.

ReputationRep:
    It's incredably difficult to actually get them though. I have migraines and for the first term of college I was plagued with them. And not just minor ones...I was unable to see much let alone learn anything. I still went to the lessons that I could and I would collect any handouts and end up sitting there wanting to cry not being able to learn anything.
    Caught up in one lesson, dropped one subject and with psych I tried to catch up. Didn't quite manage it and went into the exam not knowing a third of what I was supposed to.

When I tried to tell college that I can't do work in class because of migraines I was told to just work through the headache. (Obviously ignoring the fact I coudln't really see or focus on anything)
    Telling the exam office that I may get a migraine on the day of the exam and as the exams are more stressful than a normal day I wasn't sure if I would be able to get out of bed to sit it. I was accused of making it up (I hadn't told college I get them...I had been free of them for a couple years). Told that it shouldn't put me in bed and that I can't get extra points for having a headache. I never asked for extra points...just what should I do in those circumstances.

Exam offices are so untrustworthy. How you would be able to claim for a headache is beyond me though. Whats the chances of getting a doctors appointment to have a doctors note written on the same bloody day. (And it's not as if you can test for a headache)

ReputationRep:
    I agree with special consideration for some things, ie death of a close relative or serious illness, but this is just ridiculous! :rolleyes: My best friend is currently in hospital, as she has been a few times this year, because of her diabetes, and our sociology teacher phoned the exam board today to see if any special consideration was available. That is a deserving case; not someone with a headache whose pet died!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    It's incredably difficult to actually get them though. I have migraines and for the first term of college I was plagued with them. And not just minor ones...I was unable to see much let alone learn anything. I still went to the lessons that I could and I would collect any handouts and end up sitting there wanting to cry not being able to learn anything.
    Caught up in one lesson, dropped one subject and with psych I tried to catch up. Didn't quite manage it and went into the exam not knowing a third of what I was supposed to.

When I tried to tell college that I can't do work in class because of migraines I was told to just work through the headache. (Obviously ignoring the fact I coudln't really see or focus on anything)
    Telling the exam office that I may get a migraine on the day of the exam and as the exams are more stressful than a normal day I wasn't sure if I would be able to get out of bed to sit it. I was accused of making it up (I hadn't told college I get them...I had been free of them for a couple years). Told that it shouldn't put me in bed and that I can't get extra points for having a headache. I never asked for extra points...just what should I do in those circumstances.

Exam offices are so untrustworthy. How you would be able to claim for a headache is beyond me though. Whats the chances of getting a doctors appointment to have a doctors note written on the same y day. (And it's not as if you can test for a headache)
    Lately... when I got up from the chair to study I cannot walk straight!!! It's like I'm drunk or something!!! I'm getting worried... And it's been two times now in a week that I suddently dont see with my right eye... and this headaches that you CRY!!! You feel like you are going to faint or you head it going to burst!!! Thankfully I havent got anything (at least I didnt last July...)

ReputationRep:
    You people do relise that this has nothing to do with the kids. Its all about the schools getting a better score on school league table

ReputationRep:
    Well, I believe the absolute maximum percentage you can have added is 5%, no matter how many pets died or family members etc.
    Also, you have to be able to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    Is the 1% extra a percentage of the other marks you gain, so 1% more than what would would have gained, or do you just get 1% of the total no of marks added to your base mark?

Some boards apparently award marks for writing your name and quite a few do for SPAG.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.