This discussion is closed.
liaison
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Please consider this scenario, and i would appreciate your response on this scenario. the question is, which candidate would you pick if you were an oxbridge interviewer?

student one: this student has a brilliant record. at gcse she got 10 straight A*'s. her family is realtively wealthy, and her accent is fairly posh and typical of the background she has been raised from. she is a member of the national youth orchestra and she has said to be quite talented. she has a good personal statemnt, with a lot to talk about of good value. she has played a musical instruemnt to national level and she has been well regarded. she has numerous awards gained from school etc, and its fair to say she has a bit of a "reputation" at her school. she got straight A's in her AS Levels. at teh interview, she was relatively predicatable, not that original, and her answers were quite long whinded. she gave teh impression of being a little full of herself if anything. she was quite boring and didnt really offer anything interesting or striking in the interview, although she seemed intelligent as obvious from her record. she seemed fairly pleasant.

student two: this student has a very good record. he got 6 A* and 4 A's. he doesnt come from a rich background, he lives in a normal area although his mum has a low paid job and they do well to even live in a normal area. he also has a good personal statemnt that provided enligtening reading .he came in and was quite pleasant, he shook the interviwers hands, said "hello, how are you doing" and smiled. he looked pretty good,he wore a black shirt, trousers and shoes, and he had a white tie on. it looked quite good. he had a pretty nice haircut. he looked like he was their for a purpose, and presented himself quite professionally. at the same school as the girl, he is acknowledged as being clever, but perhaps not quite to the same extent as the girl. at AS Levels, he got straight A's..and infact got pretty much similar marks to the girl. he has a few awards from school. he plays a specific sport and has many trophies in his room, and has achieved success at uk/national level, as did the girl but in music. at the interview, he did offer something refreshing and a bit unique to the individual himself. he seemed keen, enthusiastic, and he seemed to enjoy conversing with the interviewers. in answering questions, he did try and most of teh time answered very well, reasoning his argument and producing nice answers that others may not ahve done in the same way. at the end, he seemed quite nice and he looked pretty good. he said "thankyou very much for your time, it was a pleasure...".

who would you pick and why?
liaison
its caused interesting conversation in my school. i would be interested in who you would favour as an interviewer
Ben.S.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The second one - originality. Plus, grades-wise, there's nothing in it.

Ben
upsetgirl
Report 17 years ago
Look, you are obviously the latter candidate, and are desperate to get in. Forget about it, try and see where u get!! OK?? Forgoodness sake
liaison
well, as i said, the other one was a little more "prestigious" than the otehr, in terms of grades and reputation. the boy keeps himself to himself more, althoguh he has a nice record.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Physical appearance doesn't count for a lot (my opinion). Wearing a suit and tie will NOT earn you a place.

Ben
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Whoever performed better at interview...
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
'Reputation'? What rubbish.

Ben
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah I agree.. the secound one. Even if he is a guy...
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by liaison)
Please consider this scenario, and i would appreciate your response on this scenario. the question is, which candidate would you pick if you were an oxbridge interviewer?

student one: this student has a brilliant record. at gcse she got 10 straight A*'s. her family is realtively wealthy, and her accent is fairly posh and typical of the background she has been raised from. she is a member of the national youth orchestra and she has said to be quite talented. she has a good personal statemnt, with a lot to talk about of good value. she has played a musical instruemnt to national level and she has been well regarded. she has numerous awards gained from school etc, and its fair to say she has a bit of a "reputation" at her school. she got straight A's in her AS Levels. at teh interview, she was relatively predicatable, not that original, and her answers were quite long whinded. she gave teh impression of being a little full of herself if anything. she was quite boring and didnt really offer anything interesting or striking in the interview, although she seemed intelligent as obvious from her record. she seemed fairly pleasant.

student two: this student has a very good record. he got 6 A* and 4 A's. he doesnt come from a rich background, he lives in a normal area although his mum has a low paid job and they do well to even live in a normal area. he also has a good personal statemnt that provided enligtening reading .he came in and was quite pleasant, he shook the interviwers hands, said "hello, how are you doing" and smiled. he looked pretty good,he wore a black shirt, trousers and shoes, and he had a white tie on. it looked quite good. he had a pretty nice haircut. he looked like he was their for a purpose, and presented himself quite professionally. at the same school as the girl, he is acknowledged as being clever, but perhaps not quite to the same extent as the girl. at AS Levels, he got straight A's..and infact got pretty much similar marks to the girl. he has a few awards from school. he plays a specific sport and has many trophies in his room, and has achieved success at uk/national level, as did the girl but in music. at the interview, he did offer something refreshing and a bit unique to the individual himself. he seemed keen, enthusiastic, and he seemed to enjoy conversing with the interviewers. in answering questions, he did try and most of teh time answered very well, reasoning his argument and producing nice answers that others may not ahve done in the same way. at the end, he seemed quite nice and he looked pretty good. he said "thankyou very much for your time, it was a pleasure...".

I imagine you would expect most of us to say the second candidate - shame on you for portraying second one as the boy and not the girl!! Seriously though, having spent a lot of time studying applications to Oxbridge the most important aspect during interview is the passion you display for your subject, the rest is all just peripheral, apart from academic merit.
liaison
(Original post by upsetgirl)
Look, you are obviously the latter candidate, and are desperate to get in. Forget about it, try and see where u get!! OK?? Forgoodness sake
no!!!!! i swear i am not. me and my mates were discussing it in school. this girl (the first one) was saying how she will get into oxford ahead of this other boy, coz she has more prestige about her. however, i and my mates believed that this wasnt teh case. she is a bit full of ehrself.

i aint that clever!!! only 4 A's and 6 B's at GCSE.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

clearly the way the scenario is worded, the only person you can choose is the 2nd one
liaison
(Original post by Ben.S.)
'Reputation'? What rubbish.

Ben
well, when it coems to awards etc and recognition for this and that in the school, the first girl is usually ahead of this other boy. thats what i emant by prestige. i.e.) who's the brainiest then...ohh its that girl blahh blahh....however me and my mates prefer the otehr boy better,and he always helps us on our homework!!! yippee! the other is a bloody a tight snob.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If she doesn't get in then she'll be devastated and you can all have a good laugh. In fact, start now.

Ben
upsetgirl
Report 17 years ago
no!!!!! i swear i am not. me and my mates were discussing it in school. this girl (the first one) was saying how she will get into oxford ahead of this other boy, coz she has more prestige about her. however, i and my mates believed that this wasnt teh case. she is a bit full of ehrself.

well those are good grades and there is nothing to be ashamed of.. My best friend is at Oxford now. She got rejected from Cambridge, she got 10A*s, 4As at Alevel. She reapplied instead to Oxford in her gap year and got in. She went to a fantastic private school outside Derby and was smashed when she didnt get in. She was similar to Cand A.......Though Cand B will always be more popular with the tutors
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

So these two people haven't even had their interviews yet?
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well, when it coems to awards etc and recognition for this and that in the school, the first girl is usually ahead of this other boy. thats what i emant by prestige. i.e.) who's the brainiest then...ohh its that girl blahh blahh....however me and my mates prefer the otehr boy better,and he always helps us on our homework!!! yippee! the other is a bloody a tight snob.
Recognition (awards) I intepreted differently from reputation (hearsay). Awards always help. You sound a little biased - this girl may well outperform the guy at interview. You won't get any useful information by fabricating things!!!

Ben
liaison
(Original post by upsetgirl)
well those are good grades and there is nothing to be ashamed of.. My best friend is at Oxford now. She got rejected from Cambridge, she got 10A*s, 4As at Alevel. She reapplied instead to Oxford in her gap year and got in. She went to a fantastic private school outside Derby and was smashed when she didnt get in. She was similar to Cand A.......Though Cand B will always be more popular with the tutors
well, thats what my group thought. the reason i am comapring these two is ebcause it came up in a dsicussion the otehr day. we were dsicussing uni's,.......and coz we ehard about oxbridge, we were discussing which people would get in. the 2 i emntioned are the ones that sprung to mind, but as i said they are different. clearly.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
For those of you who got offers or are now at Oxbridge, would you not say that amongst all the advise you were given pre-interview, enthusiasm for your subject is extremely importantto convey plus persuading the dons that they will enjoy teaching you?
liaison
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Recognition (awards) I intepreted differently from reputation (hearsay). Awards always help. You sound a little biased - this girl may well outperform the guy at interview. You won't get any useful information by fabricating things!!!

Ben
we know what these people are like. the first one did an english oral a few motnhs ago. nightmare. it was supposed to be 5 mins long, and it lasted 25 mins. her voice was so snobbish and it was the most boring thing i ever heard! the class fell aslep, seriosuly, the teacher gave ehr full marks just to shut up! at teh end, people asked questions such as "where did you go on holiday then"
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (503)
51.17%
No (480)
48.83%

Watched Threads