Turn on thread page Beta

Interesting Oxford Scenario watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If the girl was to be applying to do music to cambridge, then she would get in. The male person howeeer would not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    If the girl was to be applying to do music to cambridge, then she would get in. The male person howeeer would not.
    Why exactly? I detect bitterness...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Why exactly? I detect bitterness...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Well considering the girl has like played on a national level, while the booy has no training/qualification in music whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    the girl will be chosen. Nobody should ever wear a white tie with a black shirt unless they are Michael Jackson or someone.

ReputationRep:
    The number of people that fell for this...

This ass is Maskall under another guise. I doubt very much that he has the sort of personality that he describes the second personin the scenario as having. He does not deserve Oxford, hell I wouldn't set him upon the Moschino mobsters of UEL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    The number of people that fell for this...

This ass is Maskall under another guise. I doubt very much that he has the sort of personality that he describes the second personin the scenario as having. He does not deserve Oxford, hell I wouldn't set him upon the Moschino mobsters of UEL!
    I wasn't fooled either.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of who send it, it's an interesting scenrio.

she was relatively predicatable, not that original, and her answers were quite long whinded. she gave teh impression of being a little full of herself if anything. she was quite boring and didnt really offer anything interesting or striking in the interview, although she seemed intelligent as obvious from her record. she seemed fairly pleasant.

From having been at and graduated, I would say that what you describe above is THE typical candidate for very average/poor performance at a prestigious university. Which is why we often get the scenerio's where people with exceptional grades are rejected, as this is precisely what they're trying to avoid. They don't always succeed, of course.

ReputationRep:
    From the information we've been given, I don't think it is all that easy to decide which stundent should get in. Firstly their grades, personal statements and extra curriclular activities are similar.

The next things - background, and family money - the interviewer isn't going to know - ok it might be quite easy to guess, buy isn't really relevant and i don't think many interviewers would take this into account. Same with the way they dress, as long as he don't look scruffy it would not disadvantage the boy.

THe fairly plesent as shaking the hand business - iv'e no idea how much these are taken into account - many Oxbridge interviewees (including myself) are very scared before the interview and may easly forget the plesentrys and may even have difficultly even speaking in the firsat part of the interview - but both candidates here seem to perform similarly.

I don't know what you mean about "reputation", are you talking about the referances on the personal statement, obviously this carrys some weight but probably not as much as the interview.

The only real differences i can see are that the girl performaed fairly blandly at the interview and the boy was original - this would obvioulsy count in his favour, but i'm not sure exactly how much. Also it may lead to the impression that the girl has had coaching for the interviews.

One other thing i think which is imporatant is do either of the students have the potential to do well at university. At the top unis the workload is very high, and if the interviewers don't think the students can stand this sort of preassure, they wont admit them.

On the subject of the posh accent and the girl being full of herself - you can see this might annoy the intevierer - but you would hope the interviewer would not predudice her becuase of her accent or manner.

Anyway those are my thought - im not an oxbridge admissions tutor - so they could easily be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    From the information we've been given, I don't think it is all that easy to decide which stundent should get in. Firstly their grades, personal statements and extra curriclular activities are similar.

The next things - background, and family money - the interviewer isn't going to know - ok it might be quite easy to guess, buy isn't really relevant and i don't think many interviewers would take this into account. Same with the way they dress, as long as he don't look scruffy it would not disadvantage the boy.

THe fairly plesent as shaking the hand business - iv'e no idea how much these are taken into account - many Oxbridge interviewees (including myself) are very scared before the interview and may easly forget the plesentrys and may even have difficultly even speaking in the firsat part of the interview - but both candidates here seem to perform similarly.

I don't know what you mean about "reputation", are you talking about the referances on the personal statement, obviously this carrys some weight but probably not as much as the interview.
    Depends how good looking the girl was. People are so guillible when it comes to 'looks'. I was reminded of this when I read another thread about 'thickkos' getting into Oxbridge and someone observing that they know some at Oxford who are not obviously bright but stunning to look at!
    The only real differences i can see are that the girl performaed fairly blandly at the interview and the boy was original - this would obvioulsy count in his favour, but i'm not sure exactly how much. Also it may lead to the impression that the girl has had coaching for the interviews.

One other thing i think which is imporatant is do either of the students have the potential to do well at university. At the top unis the workload is very high, and if the interviewers don't think the students can stand this sort of preassure, they wont admit them.

On the subject of the posh accent and the girl being full of herself - you can see this might annoy the intevierer - but you would hope the interviewer would not predudice her becuase of her accent or manner.

Anyway those are my thought - im not an oxbridge admissions tutor - so they could easily be wrong.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.