The Student Room Group
Reply 1
KCL! Some of the accom is *opposite* the Law Faculty... Library is stunning, teaching staff amazing... :smile:
Reply 2
I found UCL way nicer than King's. Some of that was subject- (classics-)specific, but I think King's is really easy to get lost in - I kept wandering through these underground corridors feeling like I was in one of those huge metro stations full of tunnels. UCL is closer and easier to get to from King's Cross and Euston, virtually all their accomodation is well within walking distance, and because they're IMO a bit less central, the cafes and things round there tend to be cheaper. While UCL doesn't strictly have a campus, it's all seems to be pretty much in the same area around Gower Street, making it feel like more of a community than King's, which has three campuses (still not sure of the correct plural) across the city, which I think make it a bit fragmented. I only really know anything about the Strand campus, which does most of the Arts/Humanities stuff. Medicine is way out in Camberwell (no tube, decent buses, relatively low crime, cheap housing) and I don't know what goes on down at Waterloo. If you're into drama, most of the King's stuff seems to be at the Greenwood Theatre, nearest tube stop London Bridge, and then you have to walk a bit. UCL has its own student theatre, the Bloomsbury, just round the corner from college.
However, King's seems to have a better reputation, though I don't know how justified it is and I think it does vary according to subject. It (the Strand campus) is also just down the road from Trafalgar Square (=access to central London - you can walk to Leicester Square, Charing Cross Road, etc.), and there's a bus stop right outside college - good for those hungover mornings!
I also heard a rumour (from a professor at Sheff Uni, so not entirely unsubstantiated) that UCL and Imperial are considering a merger, so they might well become UoL and the others would be sort of left on the outside. But that's not definite or anything, and I have no idea when it would take place were it to do so.
Edit: Also just remembered that UCL is closer to ULU so you're more likely to make friends across UoL than at King's, though I think King's is closer to the main Uni library, as well as having its own gorgeous one. UCL (certainly on my course, wouldn't know about yours) lets you take modules from all over the uni, whereas King's restricts it to just the college. And I'm probably a bit biased, having UCL as my firm and King's as my insurance.
Dreama
KCL! Some of the accom is *opposite* the Law Faculty... Library is stunning, teaching staff amazing... :smile:

seconded :smile:
Reply 4
Dreama

Law faculty is actually at the Strand. Its only in your first year alot of the lectures etc are at Waterloo. I had all my tutorials and one lecture over at the Strand...not that I have anything against Stamford Street!
Reply 5
Madelyn
I found UCL way nicer than King's. Some of that was subject- (classics-)specific, but I think King's is really easy to get lost in - I kept wandering through these underground corridors feeling like I was in one of those huge metro stations full of tunnels. UCL is closer and easier to get to from King's Cross and Euston, virtually all their accomodation is well within walking distance, and because they're IMO a bit less central, the cafes and things round there tend to be cheaper. While UCL doesn't strictly have a campus, it's all seems to be pretty much in the same area around Gower Street, making it feel like more of a community than King's, which has three campuses (still not sure of the correct plural) across the city, which I think make it a bit fragmented. I only really know anything about the Strand campus, which does most of the Arts/Humanities stuff. Medicine is way out in Camberwell (no tube, decent buses, relatively low crime, cheap housing) and I don't know what goes on down at Waterloo. If you're into drama, most of the King's stuff seems to be at the Greenwood Theatre, nearest tube stop London Bridge, and then you have to walk a bit. UCL has its own student theatre, the Bloomsbury, just round the corner from college.
However, King's seems to have a better reputation, though I don't know how justified it is and I think it does vary according to subject. It (the Strand campus) is also just down the road from Trafalgar Square (=access to central London - you can walk to Leicester Square, Charing Cross Road, etc.), and there's a bus stop right outside college - good for those hungover mornings!
I also heard a rumour (from a professor at Sheff Uni, so not entirely unsubstantiated) that UCL and Imperial are considering a merger, so they might well become UoL and the others would be sort of left on the outside. But that's not definite or anything, and I have no idea when it would take place were it to do so.
Edit: Also just remembered that UCL is closer to ULU so you're more likely to make friends across UoL than at King's, though I think King's is closer to the main Uni library, as well as having its own gorgeous one. UCL (certainly on my course, wouldn't know about yours) lets you take modules from all over the uni, whereas King's restricts it to just the college. And I'm probably a bit biased, having UCL as my firm and King's as my insurance.

medicine is at london bridge... the greenwood lecture theatre is part of guys campus... right next to the tube, bus and overground train station...
i prefer kings... you can choose to stay within a kings set, which is probably easier if you're a fresh, or you can do the whole UL thing if you like...

the strand is confusing, but so are most places if you're new...

my advice would be to visit both and have a look... everyone wants different things from their uni..
Reply 6
Madelyn

A few corrections (plus eventual additions) I feel compelled to make to this post

The University of London library, i.e. Senate House (or at least its top floors) is virtually adjacent to UCL, thus placing it at quite some distance from King's.

With regards to the merger between UCL and Imperial, it was proposed somewhere between 2001 and 2002 and was almost immediately halted by UCL's staff because they considered it to be a de facto take over of UCL by Imperial - how foolish.

King's is (arguably) better located than UCL. However, its proximity to Leicester Square and Charing Cross Road is definitely not something I would gloat about since they are both godforsaken tourist-ridden drunks-infested hell-holes. More pleasantly, however, King's is effectively opposite Covent Garden, which despite being yet another tourist magnet, is somewhat preferable. That said, UCL's "campus" (if you can call it such) stretches almost all the way down to the bottom of Gower Street; from there it takes about 5 minutes to walk to Covent Garden and 10 minutes to walk to Leicester Square, if you truly look forward to the unique experience of being stepped/puked/spit/touched/begged on and/or pay 10 quid for a cinema ticket - though to be entirely honest, the UGC at the Trocadero (located in the wretched stretch of road between Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus) costs only 5.60 and it's pretty decent.

Although UCL may indeed be closer to University of London library/union/office/halls, King's Strand campus virtually faces the LSE, so I'm quite certain that there is plenty of opportunity to "bond" with other UoL buffoons, if you wish to do so, even at King's.

With regards to reputation, it is true that King's is widely considered, by employers not academics, to be on par with UCL despite the latter's sustained higher position in those purposeless league tables (this year's Guardian's farce constitutes an amusing exception to this). However, and here I refer only to the law course, UCL's LLB is far more challenging than King's - by King's alumni/students own admission. Simply consider this: during King's LL.B exams, they provide you with a list of relevant cases and statutory provisions, and, correct me if I am mistaken here, in some modules you can even bring in the books. So much for King's veneered reputation.

That said, and once again I speak of personal experience of the law course, the teaching is equally crap at both King's and UCL. I have always been of the opinion that if you are (un)fortunate enough to end up in a place like Napier or South Bank, where research and the 2008 RAE are the two things the vice-chancellor cares the least about, you would probably get a lot better teaching. In research intensive faculties, and yes, despite getting a meagre 5 at the RAE 2001, this elitist expression can be said to apply to King's as well, academics are busying writing countless articles for the Pick-My-Nose Law Review. Not only that but because the faculty tends to hire research-prone academics, chances are that they will not be particularly charismatic teachers.

Also note, and I hope to be purely descriptive here without assuming a particular preference on the matter, King's does have the tendency to be more middle/upper class than UCL. Indeed, sometimes I get the impression that the latter is constituted by a good 70% of chav-embracing characters whereas their presence at King's appears to be more subdued.
Reply 7
Lissy
Law faculty is actually at the Strand. Its only in your first year alot of the lectures etc are at Waterloo. I had all my tutorials and one lecture over at the Strand...not that I have anything against Stamford Street!

Ohh! My mistake! Sorry... I do know what I'm on about :smile:

Just blinded by the promise of going to 9am's at Waterloo with my Pyjamas on under my jeans... :biggrin:

D xxxxx
Reply 8
However, King's seems to have a better reputation, though I don't know how justified it is and I think it does vary according to subject

With regards to reputation, it is true that King's is widely considered, by employers not academics, to be on par with UCL despite the latter's sustained higher position in those purposeless league tables (this year's Guardian's farce constitutes an amusing exception to this).

UCL is better in legue tables aswell as reputation wise. Kings now dont enjoy its reputation it used to have years ago. and kings is not even in the G5.
Musafir_85
Kings now dont enjoy its reputation it used to have years ago.

It does with employers.
Reply 10
Im not doing Law but im guessing whichever uni you go to you'll do fine in life?
Maaan where do I start? I guess I can tell you why I chose to apply to UCL instead of King's in the first place....

-I preferred UCL's location, if I'm honest.... most King's students will boast about their location but personally I like it better 20 minutes north up in Bloomsbury.

-UCL used the LNAT... although this doesn't matter anymore because King's are tagging along and doing likewise this year.

-Looked at the history of the two and decided I preferred UCL's :p:

To be honest there's not much to choose between the two as far as reputation goes (both are particularly strong in law), so you'd be better off thinking about other things like me :smile:
Reply 12
Why aren't you after a subject specific judgement?

Would you still goto UCL if they were great at everything bar the one subject you are planning to take?

If you plan on taking Law then UCL is the slightly more reputable, although KCL too has an excellent Law department which I will probably end up in since im gonna screw my exams up and not make the UCL offer.

Anyway. Go there, ask firms and find stuff out for urself.

Latest

Trending

Trending