Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi just wonderin could ya explain respiration ta me coz im really thick. ive looked at evrythin but still dont understand it fully. it involves glycolsis, link reaction krebs cycle and last 2 stages plz help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    hi just wonderin could ya explain respiration ta me coz im really thick. ive looked at evrythin but still dont understand it fully. it involves glycolsis, link reaction krebs cycle and last 2 stages plz help.
    At A2 it does - but at university, mercy me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    At A2 it does - but at university, mercy me!!!
    lol shows how thick i am. could u spare da time to explain it to me since ure at uni and ill think of somethin in return. not sure wot but will
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    lol shows how thick i am. could u spare da time to explain it to me since ure at uni and ill think of somethin in return. not sure wot but will
    lol
    Basically - I can't remember the detail you go into in A2!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    It's best if you ask me questions, rather than saying 'respiration - go!'.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)

well if u gimme ur email address id b happy to send u some notes that i made on teh subject cos i didnt really understand it either but my notes pretty much xplain it all

ReputationRep:
    It's best if you ask me questions, rather than saying 'respiration - go!'.

Ben
    ok r u sure uve got time ta answer lol.

how come in a book it says that in the glycolysis stage, the hydrogen atom carries electrons and becomes reduced.
    but in another book it says...
    that the actual hydrogen atom is taken up and carried to respiratory chain by the coenzyme NAD which becomes reduced .

which is right lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)

how come in a book it says that in the glycolysis stage, the hydrogen atom carries electrons and becomes reduced.
    that the actual hydrogen atom is taken up and carried to respiratory chain by the coenzyme NAD which becomes reduced .

which is right lol
    Yeah - books condradicting each other is never very helpful! NAD+ (as it is called in the oxidised state) accepts TWO ELECTRONS AND A PROTON (effectively, one hydrogen ATOM and an electron). However, it actually removes (not sure if that's the right word to use) two hydrogen atoms from the molecule (which is glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate), accepts one of the hydrogen atoms and an electron - leaving behind a proton.
    NAD+ + 2e- + 2H+ --> NADH + H+ . NADH enters the electron transport chain then.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    So NAD+ gets reduced.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)

which is right lol
    I suppose the first book is talking about the actual formation of the protons - H --> H+ + e- , which then get accepted. You can think of it either way - a proton and two electrons, or one hydrogen atom and one electron. Either way, an extra proton is removed and not accepted.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    So NAD+ gets reduced.

Ben
    yeah thanx u sound really advanced lol.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.