The TSR Geology Society! Watch

[email protected]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wanna be a member to . I am doing geology at A2 now WJEC. I got a D at AS but am resitting all 3 papers coz I wanna B to go to UEC or Leeds. My worst paper was the practical. I cannot believe I mistook a Basalt for Haematite (whats the texture called when its all bubbly like pumice?). I need help most I reckon on my geological hazards though.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
vesicular

if you need any specific help, feel free to ask.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ok thanks. I think it had a vesicular texture (does basalt have this texture) and I mistook it for Haematite coz it looked like a picture of haematite I had seen before

--------------

What did people have to do for their first piece of A2 coursework. We went down to Devon for 5 days to study the rocks and spent one day on Dartmoor studying granite and working out if it was magmatic or migmatitic (it is magmatic). It was great in Devon coz I got drunk on just 2 cans of scrumpy jack :eek: but in the end I only got 15/30 for my coursework (2nd worse in class some guy got 13) so I have to do another piece to touch up on the rubish bits (initiation, analysis and evaluation).
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
something like analysis of sand from different sources is boring but easy to do.

erupted basalt can often be vesicular, yes - also the depth in the lava flow and the nature of the lava can affect this.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Geology
yay!
matchu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Ok thanks. I think it had a vesicular texture (does basalt have this texture) and I mistook it for Haematite coz it looked like a picture of haematite I had seen before

--------------

What did people have to do for their first piece of A2 coursework. We went down to Devon for 5 days to study the rocks and spent one day on Dartmoor studying granite and working out if it was magmatic or migmatitic (it is magmatic). It was great in Devon coz I got drunk on just 2 cans of scrumpy jack :eek: but in the end I only got 15/30 for my coursework (2nd worse in class some guy got 13) so I have to do another piece to touch up on the rubish bits (initiation, analysis and evaluation).
lol haematite as basalt, I found that pretty funny, but it sounds like you havnt been shown a large range of specimens.

We did the practical part of the coursework first, I did angle of rest as size and shape of particles change, whilst I added water. Pretty boring ordeal really...

Just got back from a fieldtrip to tenerife though, some amazing geology there :P

You planning on doing geology at uni?
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Wow! Wikipedia! Who wrote that page then?

Lou
xxx
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that would have been me...
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
I thought as much! Nice work! Happy New Year everyone! Anyone got any interesting fieldtrips coming up? I go to pembrokeshire in about a months time for a week but apart from that, i dont have anything else planned!

Lou
xxx
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have a brace of weeks to look forward to in santorini...but a lot of work before that - a mapping write up and an extended essay.etc. how fun
NotQuiteCornish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Here at Truro College, our teacher doesn't DO field trips. There was one trip to Bude that I managed to miss in AS last year.

I'd kill for the chance to go Tenerife! With or without Geology, I don't care!
McBren
Report 13 years ago
That 'trip' to Bude was awful. If thats what passes for a fieldtrip then i use the word 'fieldtrip' in the loosest possible sense :p:
burned_out_58
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Our teachers promised to take us to Cannock Chase to do River field work, 3 times since year 7, each time we ended up at Cadbury World scoffing out faces with chocolate instead :confused:
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Wow! Some of you seem to have had some extremely poor fieldtrip experiences, or even non existant! I feel really lucky now! I guess though, to some extent, it helps if there is any good geology in the area of your college! It makes fieldtrips cheaper and more accessible i guess! In my first year of AS we went to Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door, Newlands corner, and somewhere in Scotland! A huge part of geology is fieldwork and really (i feel) needs to be participated in!

Lou
xxx

Oh, and i have to ask..... how on earth did you end up at Cadbury's world? Was it the coach drivers decision or what lol?
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i've got two weeks in greece in march...so there

actually...i'd rather not be going - what with finals to revise for and a dissertation to write, but what can you do...
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
(Original post by bikerx23)
i've got two weeks in greece in march...so there

actually...i'd rather not be going - what with finals to revise for and a dissertation to write, but what can you do...
Shame about the timing, but an excellent trip! At college, the teachers do actually attempt to strategically plan trips! The Pembroke one coming up is after all of the January exams/ resits/ revision which is nice, and we have half term to catch up on any missed work! But what with Uni's not having half terms and things, i guess it is harder to schedule trips for any "free" time!

Lou
xxx
burned_out_58
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sparkly_tiara)
Oh, and i have to ask..... how on earth did you end up at Cadbury's world? Was it the coach drivers decision or what lol?
Each time we were supposed to go and got our consent forms filled out etc, there was a problem like, foot and mouth, and flooding..twice. lol. Though we did have an awesome trip to Cornwall, St.Austell to do some coastal stuff for a week GCSE and an AS trip to Aberyswth, lol...which..was...WAY to memorable. We did no work whatsoever because both my teachers were retiring lol!
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sparkly_tiara)
Shame about the timing, but an excellent trip! At college, the teachers do actually attempt to strategically plan trips! The Pembroke one coming up is after all of the January exams/ resits/ revision which is nice, and we have half term to catch up on any missed work! But what with Uni's not having half terms and things, i guess it is harder to schedule trips for any "free" time!

Lou
xxx
i think its more of an oxford thing than anything else...the love to make sure we have no spare time whatsoever to have "fun"
McBren
Report 13 years ago
We're supposed to be going to the Isle of Aran for this years coursework but at this rate it'll be back to Bude.........*goes and cries in the corner*
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oooh....arran is tres bon for mountaineering...you get to see huttons unconformity too, which is fantastic (and blindingly obvious)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads