The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Okay guys! Have 2 geology exams tomorrow and am seriously freaking! I feel i don't know anything! Have just been presented with a simple exam question and i am still unsure of what i'm talking about! Help is much appreciated!

There is a rock sketch, and the rock shows very small quartz grains, elongated mica grains and very large garnets..... this rock would have porphyritic texture right? I mean, the garnets would be considered as phenocryts because they are so coarse, but the other components would be considered as fine so..... is this right?

Lou
xxx
Reply 221
porphyroblastic...

it is a metamorphic rock, if it breaks along the planes it will be a schist, but the elongation suggests shearing to an extent (you're not meant to know this though).

So, it would be a garnet-mica schist.
We have covered all of the shearing/ schist and porphyroblastic stuff at A2.... i should know this! I don't know, i am just having an awful day for revision! i feel like i am so unprepared for these two modules! Think i shall just take all my notes, go and sit on my bed and read through them and hope for the best!

Lou
xxx
Reply 223
Hi everyone!
i know this is kind of totally off the current subject, but i've just got back some letters from unis about doing geology in 2007. Most of them say something like, come visit us, have a short "chat" with a professor and we propose to give you an offer. Is that something that you guys got? and how firm is it that you've actually got an offer if they say that?
Also just wanna say, Geology rocks! pun intended ;-)
Reply 224
yea - i got that from most of the places I applied for (leeds, manchester, soton, royal holloway) - i honestly wouldn't know if you can persuade them to change the offer much - they told me what they were whilst i was there too, so obviously they tend to have set offers to go on. its worth looking round the departments too.
In response to Shifty.... yup! I got those letters too. I think they are pretty much standardised! Southampton i felt was a pretty formal chat, and not much like how it was described but it went well nonetheless! Hope the chats go okay!

Secondly.... anyone here sit the GL1 and GL3 WJEC exams today? I sat both and (although i don't want to tempt fate) i think they went okay! Was particularly pleased with the topics covered in GL3... If mass movement or landfill sites were to have come up then i think i would have cried! I didn't get round to revising it last night so that was one lucky escape!

Finally, i plan put some more information on the TSR wiki Geology page, which has been given an excellent start by bikerx23! I am thinking of maybe doing a brief outline of rock types and individual rocks, just to bulk it up a bit and give some pretty useful foundation geology to the site! Keep having a look now and again!

Any other suggestions, or if you wish to do work yourself then go right ahead!

Lou
xxx
Reply 226
I havn't got any of those letters - granted I've only got one offer as I sent it off the day we broke up for Christmas :tongue:

But I got a straight offer from Manchester for BBC to do a Msci

I'm expecting a rejection of Bristol cause I didn't read up on their apply bit, and have applied for a masters there, which they want maths at A-level for (which I don't do)
Matchu
I havn't got any of those letters - granted I've only got one offer as I sent it off the day we broke up for Christmas :tongue:

You'll probably be recieveing them soon, dont try and fret about it, it took a couple of weeks for me to get any offer and then they all came at once and now im waiting for my last one. I bet it wont come till May.

Also all the invitations i had said, ' we propose to give you an offer' so more than likely they are interested in you if they write that.
Reply 228
I want to join, im doing geol at liverpool uni, yey
Reply 229
hey - nice to meet you - what parts of geology do you enjoy the most?
Hey I wana join also :-) Ive applied to study geology in Lpool and Earth and environmental science in Bristol and Lancs for sep 2006

Grantml.....wots the geology or mainly the earth science department like in lpool, im actually a liverpool girl myself.. is it worth stayin in my home city??
Reply 231
superstar1471
Hey I wana join also :-) Ive applied to study geology in Lpool and Earth and environmental science in Bristol and Lancs for sep 2006

Grantml.....wots the geology or mainly the earth science department like in lpool, im actually a liverpool girl myself.. is it worth stayin in my home city??

yeh its very good, im in my first year now and also a local, (wirral). The department is rated to 5 in uk so it is good, everyone is very friendly and lecturers are realy nice too, i recommend it to anyone.
the union or guild of students is also the 2nd biggest in europe (biggest in uk) so its always good for the nights out, (loadza ppl offer you out for a drink first few weeks etc) living at home is no problem for me, you will be surprised how many people live at home. But it is obviously easier living in halls. good uni, good ppl, good course, sign up :smile:
Hey peeps. I have just started my lab based coursework 'Factors affecting the Subsidense of Buildings on Reclaimed Land during an Earthquake' and one of the variables I have put down is to change the grain size mud/sand/pebbles. Anyway my teacher reckons that changing the grain size won't affect the subsidense, at least not on dry sediments, so she doesn't know why I am changing the size. That got me thinking about it and I was wondering what you all thought? I think that it will affect the subsidense and that finer sediments will be less likely to collapse/will be more stable because they will be packed tighter.
Obviously I've got to offer some geological reasoning/knowledge behind this theory and I was also wondering if you can think of anything.
Anyone, and I mean AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYONE, able to help with WJEC's nasty A2 lab work which I'm somehow doing on chemical weathering of sedimentray rocks?!

Our lecturer's a bit rubbish, he's left it fully open, and as I've not got Chemistry or Physics in my background, I have nothing but GCSE Science to get me through!!!!

I need help, anyone got any?!
Reply 234
hey all! I got this listed as a society...so we can have the lovely little picture like all the proper one (take a look at the "my societies" thing just above this writing :wink:)

So! follow this link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php

and you can sign up to this, and any other society you wish!

p.s., Lou, do you fancy posting a link to the wiki article in the OP?
sparkly_tiara
In response to Shifty.... yup! I got those letters too. I think they are pretty much standardised! Southampton i felt was a pretty formal chat, and not much like how it was described but it went well nonetheless! Hope the chats go okay!

i found the soton chat very formal too, the guy gave me a grilling he seemed nervous/lacking people skills too which made me worse-then asked my why iceland was there and the rest of the mid atlantic ridge wasn't above sea level i ws like wtf ahhh! i thought the NOCS was incredible but there was something tha didn't click with the rest of the place-i think the city just hasn't happened , it was dead!over all i have very mixed feelings about the place:confused:
Reply 236
I bet you got grilled at UCL. The guy asked me some really tough questions.
well, stupid me diodnt go to the UCl interview cos i decided i could never live in london and had a strong feeling soton would be the place i wanted to go, but part of me wishes i had now because the only places left really are durham and edinburgh-neither of which im sure about and soton was really not that impressive in terms of situation and the uni itself. but this was only supposed to be an informal chat-but it was far from that lol!
how's the geophys going anyways?
Reply 238
geophysics is a ****ing joke. It doesn't deserve to be called geophysics but 'geology with compulsory maths 1-3' or something. When you're here you realise that geophysicists do physics degrees and then geophysics afterwards, that way they actually know something other than how to colour in a map.
oh god really? i saw the soton lectures were supposed to be 1/3 each of maths phys and geol, but a bit iffy about it. I'm actually trying to enquire about going for physics instead of geophysics like you said, that probably leaves a few more doors open too.Then again i doubt they will let me now, oh well never mind! the annoying thing is ive gone through the doing maths AS and A2 in one yr now so if i found out i've done that for no reason I will be gutted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending