The TSR Geology Society! Watch

riccardo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the problem might just be Imperial, they don't have enough gear and, as I understand it, Southampton do.
burned_out_58
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by smurfride)
oh god really? i saw the soton lectures were supposed to be 1/3 each of maths phys and geol, but a bit iffy about it. I'm actually trying to enquire about going for physics instead of geophysics like you said, that probably leaves a few more doors open too.Then again i doubt they will let me now, oh well never mind! the annoying thing is ive gone through the doing maths AS and A2 in one yr now so if i found out i've done that for no reason I will be gutted!
I'm so glad I didn't decide to do Geophysics in the end, after I heard about it at Soton, it totally put me off. If I wanted to do it, I might as well just do physics on its own...or maths! Still, I'm happy with straight geology
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've got to do the write up for my A2 labwork geology projects and I keep forgetting what it is the roundness index tells us about sediments. I think it, as the name suggests, tells us the angularity/roundness of the sediments but it may tell me the sphericity and I just need to be sure so can anyone help me please
sparkly_tiara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Um.... do you mean the callieaux flatness scale or the krumbein sphericity index?

Lou
xxx
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Just to help..... krumbein spheicity index will give you a value between 0 and 1.... true spheres will have a value of 1, and basically the lower the value, the less spherical the sediment is.

Callieux flatness scale gives values from 100 to infinity. 100 would indicate a perfectly equi- dimensional shape (sphere) and the flatter the particle, the larger the index (so between 200- 500 would be common)

Hope this helps!

Lou
xxx
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
cailleux's roundness index R=2r/a x 1000 [a] = length of long axis in cm [r] = radius of sharpest or smallest angle whichever it is.
ChrisF
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can I join? Im doing Geology and I really need help on some topics like Paleontology :eek:
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Welcome aboard! Shall add you to the members list right away.... and [email protected], are you okay with the coursework now?

Lou
xxx
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
feel free to join the soc...now with funky hammer motif!
alex2006
Report 12 years ago
can i join please? Im intending to read geology at uni..... ive got offers from durham, edinburgh,cardiff,exeter and aberdeen
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Hey Alex!

You are more than welcome to join- i shall add you to the members list right away. Remember you can join the society and get the exclusive logo by clicking on the societies tab at the top of the page! Do you currently study geology in your own time or anything?

Lou
xxx
alex2006
Report 12 years ago
I try to read around the subject as much as possible. My school dont offer it as an alevel so i have to make do with maths, chemistry and geography.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
sounds fun...

If ever you want some suggestions on books to read, I previously made some recommendations here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=177998
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alex2006)
can i join please? Im intending to read geology at uni..... ive got offers from durham, edinburgh,cardiff,exeter and aberdeen
What grades where you offered to do it there and is it at UEC?
aaronc2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
anyone do geology for A-level? is it nice and easy? i might take it on the side this summer...
McBren
Report 12 years ago
Yeh most of us do it or have done it. It's a great subject just isn't the easiest especially if your not taking any other science subjects
Aberdonian*Lass
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
woohoo!! just accepted durham as firm and southampton as insurance (naturally i thought you all needed to know...)
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
congratulations! Soton was my insurance too
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaronc2)
anyone do geology for A-level? is it nice and easy? i might take it on the side this summer...
Do you have a good interest in the subject, or are you just planning on studying it to gain an A level? If it is the later, i wouldn't bother. It isn't the easiest subject by any means, and if you don't have a real interest then i think you might find it boring! I love doing it at A level and study it as much as i can, but a lot of that is for my own enjoyment as much as anything else, but i still think the workload can be quite hefty at times.

Lou
xxx
aaronc2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sparkly_tiara)
Do you have a good interest in the subject, or are you just planning on studying it to gain an A level? If it is the later, i wouldn't bother. It isn't the easiest subject by any means, and if you don't have a real interest then i think you might find it boring! I love doing it at A level and study it as much as i can, but a lot of that is for my own enjoyment as much as anything else, but i still think the workload can be quite hefty at times.

Lou
xxx
yeh I like Geology, I do Geography A level and I was thinking of asking them if I could do AS geology on the side... but if its not easy then OK I wont
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?