The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

You don't have to have an interest in the subject. I am doing it at a-level because it sounded interesting not because I had an interest. The interest came later when I realised that there were so many things still to be discovered and if you take it you will learn about many things and why they happen. Brilliant subject and glad I took it. But like Sparkly Tiara said it isn't an easy subject.
Well at least you thought it sounded interesting! Doing geography will help you out a lot with certain units of Geology A level!

Lou
xxx
Hi

Sparkly_tiara I've changed my name on here (cos I was a pleb that decided to use my surname and real name was a bright idea when I registered! doh!) so could you alter me on the list. I was anna_pennell and I now am anna_tucker!! Thanks!!

Oh and to answer the A-level question from my point of view. I shamefully took Geology because Geography didn't fit into my timetable and I wanted something similar. I love it and wouldn't look back now but I can't say i had an avid passion or interest when I first started...it grows on you!!
Anna
Lou are you actually in uni yet or in A2?
Reply 264
Hey I'm currently doing Geology AS but I'm doing it over 2 years. Is anyone doing with OCR??
When i said it helps if you have an interest in it, i think everyone took my point too seriously! What i meant was, if the OP wanted another A level to add to the collection so to speak, i wouldn't recommend doing geology if it doesn't really sound appealing. A lot of you took geology because its similar to geography and you enjoyed that- which is a great reason, or perhaps you thought it sounded interesting! I was worried that the OP was thinking "oooh, ive got some spare time, i want an A level, lets just pick geology!"

And to whoever ask (sorry, i can't remember now!) i am currently an A2 geology student, but will be a degree student of geology in october! Roll on October!

Oh and anna- i've changed your name!

Lou
xxx
K it was me.
Reply 267
sparkly_tiara
When i said it helps if you have an interest in it, i think everyone took my point too seriously! What i meant was, if the OP wanted another A level to add to the collection so to speak, i wouldn't recommend doing geology if it doesn't really sound appealing. A lot of you took geology because its similar to geography and you enjoyed that- which is a great reason, or perhaps you thought it sounded interesting! I was worried that the OP was thinking "oooh, ive got some spare time, i want an A level, lets just pick geology!"

And to whoever ask (sorry, i can't remember now!) i am currently an A2 geology student, but will be a degree student of geology in october! Roll on October!

Oh and anna- i've changed your name!

Lou
xxx

Where are you planning on goin?
It's in my sig.... but southampton is down as my firm, with portsmouth as insurance!

Lou
xxx
Reply 269
Yay I'm now an official member :smile:
Hi all!

I can assure you all, Geology is very very difficult indeed! I walked through Geography with a relatively good 'A' at A2; this second year of Geology is really tough! I guess I'm a little on the 'humanities' side when it comes down to it, I get lost in the science side now and again. Saying that, it is the Welsh Joint exam board, who are a bit...fiddly, shall we say!

Still, Leicester want me, which is why I've just chosen them as my 'Firm'!

:biggrin:

Apart from the McBren, anyone else here go/planning to go Leicester?!
A lot of people get lost on the science part of geology (well, those in my class do anyway!). For me, that is my favourite part of geology. I enjoy putting my chemistry knowledge into geology but thats just me! I know someone who is also planning to study geology at leicester and are really looking forward to it! It seems a great uni, just a bit too far for my own personal liking!

Lou
xxx
Reply 272
The science aspect is good...but it all works better if you intermingle the two...

Like, yesterday I had a tute on how we calibrate the radiocarbon record and had to derive the theory of secular equilibrium - its a most satisfying thing to do!
Hmm I am so overexcited this morning. Just got an email about my possible thesis for next year and its tres exciting. Can't say much more until its all finalised but fingers crossed it goes through. It would be a pretty rad oppourtunity if it happens.

I'm back on the Geology trail now, I got a bit disheartened a bit back but have regained my spark. Now I just ahve to make that decision between Petroleum or Palaeo and its probably going to be the hardest decision of my life so far.
Reply 274
Has anyone here applied fr Geography at university?
Reply 275
you heathen - get out!
How many members of ye olde Geology Society are going to be studying at Leicester next September/October?!
Reply 277
NotQuiteCornish
How many members of ye olde Geology Society are going to be studying at Leicester next September/October?!

Not me, but I went there a while ago, and the department seems really nice, and everyone I spoke to there recommended it very highly.
Hey everyone!

Haven't had a big update for a while! What has everyone been up to? There has been a lot of discussion on here about uni choices.... and Anna's decision for her topic at university! Have you made the decision on petroleum geology/ palaeoecology? Hope you have made the decison that is right for you- i know i would have personally chosen petroleum geo!

I got back from a fieldtrip about a month ago now- spent a week in North Pembrokeshire, studying two different locations for a coursework project. Saw deposits of till, head, scree, raised beaches and such like (quaternary deposits). Was very helpful in making the A2 units come to life a bit! Am busy writing up the coursework now, and let me tell you, trying to re- read fieldnotes that are covered in mud is hard work!

Has anyone else got anything interesting to report? Any new uni offers, course decisions or dissertations to write?

Hope everyone is okay!

Lou
xxx
Reply 279
Off to greece on monday for a volcanics and tectonics field course which should be fun.

Also - petroleum geology (assuming its all the seismic reflection.etc., stuff) is a horrific topic to study! (ok, so its got maths in, hence I hate it....)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending