The TSR Geology Society! Watch

anna_tucker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol We went to Pembroke 2 years ago i think Sparkly_tiara. No, i've not made my decision. I'm currently pursuading my uni they want to let me take an extra half credit so I don't have to drop either and I think (touch wood) its working.

I love Pet.Geology, I've done a lot of it here and its really really intresting stuff. I also want a job and I'm coming back to Canada eventually and Petroleum geology really is the way forward out here. Palaeo is much more of a passion I have to say, just doesn't have the money to go with it unfortunatly so I'm defiantly doing my disertation/thesis/project (so many different names for it !) in it but then as a carear I don't know.

Field trip to Greece should be pretty good Bikerx23, I heard the other day there is one to Iceland on offer for the fourth year from back home so that would be pretty awesome!!
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Iceland should be cool....I'm currently talking to Thord Thordarssen about getting some work in Iceland/Hawaii (He is the guy who edited the encyclopedia of volcanoes...volcanological legend!)....

If you like pet geol, then fine - it just makes you insane!
sparkly_tiara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've been to Hawaii Toby, and it was incredible I couldn't reccomend a trip enough; it was so interesting and everything was literally happening before your eyes. Just take care when walking, i nearly broke my ankle after falling over when walking around the National Park- the terrain is pretty challenging for those with weak ankles!

I'd love to go to Iceland- my college has now changed the Mount Vesuvius trip to a trip to Iceland... but of course, this will only come into place after i've left! Grrr!

Lou
xxx
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you lucky thing!

I'm hoping to be working out there for 3 months (that way you get free accomodation), so that should be amazingly fun
Luckily I do a lot of walking on poor terrain, so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

Vesuvius is crappola as a trip - not impressive in the slightest in my opinion.
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Vesuvius was a personal nightmare- i was on crutches the whole time! And climbing Vesuvius on crutches isn't the most easy of things to be doing! I didn't find Vesuvius particularly impressive either... probably because my previous volcanic trip was Hawaii, so comparison was slightly unfair, but i enjoyed studying the Phlegrean Fields, again i feel this is probably because of the visible features.

I would like to say that my walking/ mountain climbing skills are improving, but i still seem to spend half of my time on the ground!

Lou
xxx
NotQuiteCornish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"I didn't find Vesuvius particularly impressive either... "

At least you got to go overseas for a field trip. Our one and only trip was up the coast a little bit to a dismal, boring cove at Bude! In the rain and wind. Dreadful...
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotQuiteCornish)
"I didn't find Vesuvius particularly impressive either... "

At least you got to go overseas for a field trip. Our one and only trip was up the coast a little bit to a dismal, boring cove at Bude! In the rain and wind. Dreadful...
Hmmm, i suppose going abroad (what with the flights and language barrier and huge amounts of pasta/ pizza) was slightly exciting, but, i have to say i much preferred my last fieldtrip to Pembrokeshire! It was freezing cold, the days were long (6.30am- 11pm) with only a few hours set aside for eating/ travelling and the demands of work were much greater, but i really enjoyed myself! I learnt a lot more about geology in general on that trip, in the terms of what field geologists actually do and i was fortunate to gain a lot of field experiment techniques, such as using a dumpy level, identifying facies and creating graphic logs for example! Wales was great (even though i did sleep for 15 hours when i eventually came home!)

Lou
xxx

PS- how about everyone else? What has been your most enjoyed fieldtrip and why?
McBren
Report 12 years ago
A week in Pembrokeshire sounds great but as NotQuiteCornish said, we went to the cornish village of Bude a few miles away where the geology is fairly substandard compared to what we could have seen and were made to draw stratigraphic logs for our coursework having only seem them in detail the previous day. The lecturers a nice enough chap but he doesn't have much of a clue!
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just thought I'd make it known. I've chosen Leeds as my firm and Pompey as my insurance. Any1 from these universitys wanna make me feel good about these choices feel free . Still wish I'd been offered by UEC though

Also has any1 been to places in their degree that they went to during A-Levels. There was an ex student at my college the other day who is in his first year at Manchester for Geo and he told my teacher that he has been to Castleton and Devon and looked at some of exactly the same stuff as he did in A2

(Original post by sparkly_tiara)
I'd love to go to Iceland- my college has now changed the Mount Vesuvius trip to a trip to Iceland... but of course, this will only come into place after i've left! Grrr!
Sounds familiar to something that is happenening for this years AS in my college, if they want to go. I think there are only a few places and it costs about £700 - £1000 I think. Would have liked to have gone (they offered places for this years A2 but no-one took it up I don't think. Either unsure about Uni or didn't want to go) I think it is also just a one off to see some research that is going on up there.
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Matt, Portsmouth is my insurance too! Woo! I have to ask though, how comes you chose "applied geology" at Portsmouth? I know a lot of people who applied for Geology or Geoscience as their firm choice and then it is always "applied geology" or "geological hazards" as the insurance? Just curious!

Lou
xxx
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Quite simple really. I am not that fond of Geohazards and I don't have a biological background to do Palaeobiology and Evolution. If I had got a biological background I might have applied for Palaeobiology as it can also lead to a career in the oil industry.
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
But why didnt you just choose geology? Its more similar to the geoscience degree surely?

Lou
xxx
drunkensailor
Report 12 years ago
i do geological hazards at pompey, final yr here thou, it is brilliant down here
drunkensailor
Report 12 years ago
oh and there isnt an applied geology course here! there is geology, earth science and palaeo as the geosciences, and engineering geology and geohazards as the applied geoscience courses
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Hey Drunkensailor!

Thanks for the imput about Portsmouth University! What have the fieldtrips been like during the three years? Do you have a job to go into/ further degree studies after this year? Anything we should be aware of/ inside information?

Lou
xxx
drunkensailor
Report 12 years ago
im currently applying for jobs. the trips for the applied geoscientists include the isle of wight, dorset coast, norfolk, costwolds, devon, kent, france and spain, the geoscientists tend to do other trips although i know that they go to the isle of wight, dorset, spain, cyprus, france. think with them it depends wots units you choose. cant thin of any inside infomation but let me know if u have any questions
andy9ac
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hello fellow Geology students!

Im currently studying the wonderful subject that is geology for A level and would very much like to be apart of your society :tsr2:

I dont know if there is some sort of initiation or test that i have to pass to join, but i love rocks! :cool: My favourite bits of the subject are of course volcanism, palaeontology and im quite interested in mass extinctions. Im hopefully going onto uni to get a masters degree in geology at Bristol University in October (with Portsmouth as my backup choice), which im very excited about.

Im currently in sparkly_tiara's class at college (my claim to fame) and heard about this site, and thought i'd sign myself up.
matchu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Which course code have you applied for?
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Hey Andy!

Wow- finally someone who i know personally on TSR! Hehe! Welcome aboard to the society- i shall add you to the members list asap!

Didn't know you were particularly intertested in mass extinctions- that suprised me somewhat! I thought you were really interested in glaciers for some reason! Toby (Bikerx23) is the volcanology expert really so hes always someone good to chat too!

Hope you have fun being a member, and welcome to the place where i spend my time when im not examining rocks in the field with you! lol!

Lou
xxx
andy9ac
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Straas)
Which course code have you applied for?
F607, so i will hopefully get to go to North America at some point, and travel a bit more, other than jsut going down to Lulworth cove and back
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads