The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

When i went to the Cardiff open day (or was it Plymouth?), they were talking about all the great trips you go on... and Lulworth Cove still came up! I think its compulsory for geologists generally!

Lou
xxx
Reply 301
heh, I'm doing exactly the same course (y)

I ended up justifying that choice of course to the interviewer with

'well, I'm not having a gapyear and I thought it'd be a bit like a gapyear'
'So you don't intend to do work there'
'errrrrr..............'
Straas
heh, I'm doing exactly the same course (y)

I ended up justifying that choice of course to the interviewer with

'well, I'm not having a gapyear and I thought it'd be a bit like a gapyear'
'So you don't intend to do work there'
'errrrrr..............'

Lol! Thats quite funny! I applied to do BSc Geology at Southampton, but ended up getting a place on the 607 too! Don't ask how that happened, its a very long story! *just realised i really need to change that signature of mine*

Lou
xxx
Reply 303
Ive just chosen my firm and insurance for 2006 entry. Just need the grades now

Firm: Durham
Insurance: Edinburgh

Anyone else going to these?
Reply 304
My insurance is edinburgh - know a couple of people going to durham for geology aswell.
andy9ac
F607, so i will hopefully get to go to North America at some point, and travel a bit more, other than jsut going down to Lulworth cove and back

Best thing i ever did(North America that is not Lulworth Cove lol although I have been there too). I'm doing a course this year out at Alberta (Edmonton) on Mass Extinctions and Dinosaurs, its really interesting.

Do consider Edmonton when you come to make your choices, I know its Canada but its got a fantastic reputation in the Geology sphere and in particular the Petroleum industry and the department is just so good and so friendly.
lol i notice we've no Royal Holloway geologists on here (quelle surprise). Durham was my firm choice btw until i messed up my A-levels, i really liked it but I liked RHUL too so I'm happy where i ended up.
I know a few friends who plan to go to Royal Holloway in 2007 for Geology, but i am not aware of anyone going there this year! I have to say, i wished i had researched my uni choices more now, and not just picked the places my parents thought were good because they were near!

Lou
xxx
Reply 308
Wow! you're living my dream: Canada, mass extinctions and dinosaurs. At the interview they said that I could also go somewhere in Europe instead, if I fancied it by the second year. I'll have to remember Alberta when I (if I) get there, I think i'd prefere to go somewhere that speaks English, I imagine the language barrier being quite difficult to get around whilst learning/discussing Geology, and I seem to get easily irritated with foreign translations. Thanks for the advice! Very glad that I chose the International option now :biggrin:
Reply 309
Hey can i join the society too?
You most certainly can- will update your name to the list asap! Are you a geology student or just interested in the subject? Anything else we should know?

Lou
xxx
Add me, please! :biggrin:
Straas
My insurance is edinburgh - know a couple of people going to durham for geology aswell.

I think my insurance will more than likely be Edinburgh, but im just too scared to click it on my UCAS track thing :redface:
Hey fellow rock fans! I'm bored out my mind in a compulsory 'extension study' class right now! Just thought I'd share that euphoric moment with you all...I finished and handed in my Geology coursework! Yay, at last!

Okay, the work sucks, but at least I don't have to worry about it 'til August!

BTW any budding photographers around?
Reply 314
NotQuiteCornish
Hey fellow rock fans! I'm bored out my mind in a compulsory 'extension study' class right now! Just thought I'd share that euphoric moment with you all...I finished and handed in my Geology coursework! Yay, at last!

Okay, the work sucks, but at least I don't have to worry about it 'til August!

BTW any budding photographers around?

Yo, I share that euphoria as I have also recently handed in my coursework, what a day that was, almost brings a tear to my eye *sniff*. However I had to spend a whole week of my easter holiday doing it, so i'd better get a decent grade!

I am also sort-of into photography, like to take the odd photo here and there, but im not particularly good at it.

Roll on August!
Does anyone know the relative strengths or whatever of shale's and sandstones.Would be especialy helpful if you know where I can get this info as I need a source for coursework and also if you happen to know in relation to the shale's and sandstones at Mam Tor in Derbyshire.
OK I'm done with that got the info I need. Now does anyone know how to calculate porosity. I've done the experiment and have got the data just need the calculation.
Plus how do I get the Geology Society down on my list of societes. Already got Yorkshire society but don't know how it happened.
Reply 317
You most certainly can- will update your name to the list asap! Are you a geology student or just interested in the subject? Anything else we should know?

I am not a geologist student now, but I will be (hopefully) this coming October - My firm choice is 'palaontology and evolution' in Bristol (rejected Imperial as it is bloody expensive for international students). Anything else you should know?...... well, I really don't know much about geology but I've wanted to be a palaentologist since 5 years old... and I have avery weird habit of collecting rocks from all over the world... one of my draws are completely occupied with rocks and fossils. I think that's it
Wow! I turn my eyes for two minutes and come back to loads of interesting posts!

I too, have now completed the geology coursework! All 184 pages of it! It felt like we had been doing it for months on end (which we quite literally had but still!) And i cannot remember the amount of all nighters i pulled for it, but at least its done now, woot! Someone in my class is still on the laboratory work, and i don't think they can have started the field coursework as they haven't drawn their rose diagrams yet! I would be panicing beyong belief if i was in that situation!

Secondly, the photography thing! I really like photography! I'm only interested in what i call "outdoor photography" (stuff like beaches, forests, trees, views, sunsets and so on)! I am definatley improving to say the least, and i do believe i have taken some pretty incredible photos in my time! I brought a big book on photography the other day and am picking up hints and tips so i am hoping things can only get better! Oh and why was it asked if there were any budding photographers around? Need some help with something?

Matt, i could have given you info about relative strengths, but seeing as you have now done that, i guess that would be rather pointless! I am a bit short on time this morning, but i have had a look through my big book of geology and i can't find anything about porosity other than the definition! I shall try and sort something out today for you though!

Quick message to all- to add the geology society to your society list, click on the "socs" list at the top of the page, find the geology society (page 1 or 2 i think!) and apply to be a member! Me and Toby should then receive your request and you then shall get the funky little hammer motif when approved!

Got to go now guys, but will be back soon!

Take care!
Lou
xxx
Well I worked out how I calculate poosity based on mass. It's weight gained/new weight x 100. Problem is I did it weight gained/old weight x 100 :frown: . Thankfully my teacher said it was ok (prob' 'cause the difference would have only been about 0.5%. That done my coursework is all done (handed it in on Thursday). Yaayyy!!! Now all I've got to do is revision :wink: .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending