The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
pfft! not a chance...if I reveal my research its less likely to get published, fool.

Needless to say, its a mineral which wasn't anticipated in the PDC I'm studying, and hence extremely exciting.
Reply 621
Ah, cool.

Any idea on timescale of getting it published?
Reply 622
Well...I only discovered said mineral on the SEM on tuesday, so probably quite a while - we need more comprehensive records and all...

I'll probably have the document finished around april time, so I'll let you have a browse then if you're discreet...and from then it'll probably take 2-3 months to get published.
Can I join your society please?
Just started AS Geology course on WJEC at college, probably the most enjoyable subject I chose. I'm actually interested in the work which is unusual for me.

Came across this forum after doing a google search on geology :smile:
who has to accpet me?? coz they havent yet :frown:
hehe i love geology
Hey!

Sorry about the delay- been busy with a million and one things (most relating geology but obviously with yesterday being a saturday alcohol was tempting me away from my computer!)

Welcome! I will add you to the socieites list once i have posted this! And after i have posted this i shall flip back a page and read about Tobys new discovery! AND if you are really lucky, i shall then divulge my exciting news about a geological publication that i will begin writing soon *everyone falls asleep*!

Lou
xxx
Hehehe... i flipped back to the 31st page expecting reams of discussion on the discovery and found one comment. Anyway, that is fantastic Toby (and give you an incredible advantage with PhD studies)! A sneaky preview would be much appreciated whenever the time is available!

Lou
xxx
thanx guys
any advice on learning minerals??
got a test on fri not looking 4ward to it
hmm
xxxxx
Not wishing to sound stupid, but how do I get one of those society drop down boxes? :smile:
i love rocks!!! count me in!
Reply 630
kinky...
Hey, I'm back. It's good at Leeds, plenty of places to get pissed. And the course is good, I know most of it. But I'm buggered on the Geophysics.
Reply 632
Dude add me as im going to do geology in uni
erm....can someone help me choose a topic to write an essay about, it has to be on environmental physics, like hydrology, or atmosphere and climate, energy,

i kinda want it to be specific, eg how is whale migration being affected by changes in oceanic currents

or how magnetic flucuations/ reversal of earths mag field will affect jelly fish?

or reversal of earths mag field will affect global communications (dont think thats environmental physics, is it/)
Reply 634
hows about the affect of el nino / la nina on fisheries.
I'm guessing the mineral identification test has been done now, but some tips for future reference:

1. Try and see as many different samples of minerals as possible. Don't think "i've seen geothite before, therefore i will always be able to identify it". Different specimens vary massively so it is a good idea to see as many different examples as possible.

2. Become confident with some real distinguising features of minerals. For example, know that halite is salty to the taste and that calcite will fizz on contact with HCL. If possible know some distinguishing features about cleavage, lustre and hardness- it will help immensely.

3. Be familiar with a mineral identification table and the information that it lists. Use all of the information on there when coming to identify a mineral (if you have a copy of it in the test). If not then be familiar with the details it gives and try to identify those features when looking at minerals.

4. It may be worthwhile to invest in a rocks, minerals and fossils book. There are hundreds of them out there but they contain some good basic information and have lots of good pictures to give you more visual experience of minerals, although it is worthwile to remember that the pictures will be of good specimens of the minerals and will show what dolomite should look like with perfect cleavage planes- which is unlikely to occur in the exam!

Hope this helps,

Lou
xxx
a fire in the sky
Well...I only discovered said mineral on the SEM on tuesday, so probably quite a while - we need more comprehensive records and all...

I'll probably have the document finished around april time, so I'll let you have a browse then if you're discreet...and from then it'll probably take 2-3 months to get published.

Think you might be being a little bit ambitious with those timescales, submission to publication may take 3 months, but only somewhere like Science or Nature and only if the original is basically accepted in its original form. You're far more likely to be looking at 6-12 months. My last paper; submitted 2 Nov 2005, revised 19 Jan 2006, accepted 12 April 2006, published 11 Aug 2006 - just over 9 months.
Reply 637
davey_boy
Think you might be being a little bit ambitious with those timescales, submission to publication may take 3 months, but only somewhere like Science or Nature and only if the original is basically accepted in its original form. You're far more likely to be looking at 6-12 months. My last paper; submitted 2 Nov 2005, revised 19 Jan 2006, accepted 12 April 2006, published 11 Aug 2006 - just over 9 months.

Yes...I am being extremely optimistic through a combination of likely having a very experienced individual co-writing the paper with me (I hope) and also not being so ambitious with my choice of journal...but I'm realisitically concentrating on actually getting the head down and working at the moment - so its not something I'm concerning myself with.
TotalImmortal
Not wishing to sound stupid, but how do I get one of those society drop down boxes? :smile:

click on the Socs link in the blue bar accross the top of the page (or click here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php ) and join some socs
Reply 639
Hey just thought id say hi, i love rocks, hence the geol degree, although metamorphic petrology is getting a bit dull at the mo. If i see quartz, plag n pyroxene again...:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending