Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    then you're probably looking at an andesite...

ReputationRep:
    does the uk have any geothermal/hyrdrothermal resources/resivoirs?

ReputationRep:
    it has geothermal sources along the south coast, i think soton and cornwall are the places where it is viable

ReputationRep:
    Google!

ReputationRep:
    I think they did this around Bath or Cornwall, but it wasn't efficient or economically viable or something.

ReputationRep:
    there defiantly is a source of geothermal energy in soton. the whole thing is due to isostatic changes, so the best places will be the south coast, so you wont get it north of here, is the simple answer i think.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish - the heat flow across britain hardly varies - Geothermal needs a significant heat increase, such as occurs at volcanic spots in Iceland and Japan, in order to use it to produce energy.

British stores are capable for basic heating requirements, but bar that it isn't worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    so hyroelectricity and wind power are the only 2 feasible options for uk?

solar i wouldnt think, with british weather, lol

ReputationRep:
    Nope - nuclear is the best option.

ReputationRep:
    i completly forgot about that, but im finding clean and renewable sources, nuclear isnt renewable is it? once a reaction has occured u can't re use it?

ReputationRep:
    Spent nuclear fuel can be reprocessed and re-used, so the amount of energy produced from a set amount of fuel is collosal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm told that the "Fountain of the Virgin"/ "En- Rogel" that feeds the Pool of Siloam in Jerusalem is a natural syphon, a rare phenomenon that flows 3-5 times daily in winter, twice in summer and only once in autumn. This probably explains the "waiting for an angel to stir the water".
    I understand the siphon principle, but I'm not sure what causes the initial "suck" to get the flow going.

Anyone know ?

ReputationRep:
    cant say for sure, but it'll probably be heat, gravity or pressure.

ReputationRep:
    So, does anyone else have any Geology related exams coming up for January?

I'm sitting the WJEC GL1 on Thursday- not particularly looking forward to it.
    Sat a past paper today and earned an ungraded
    Returned home and did two more past papers and got an A and a B
    I'll just have to see how it goes....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've got my progress exams on Friday and Saturday and don't have much motivation to revise :/

ReputationRep:
    Well, sat the GL1 today..

Don't think I did that great, but not too bad either so meh...
    Always the June retake anyway

ReputationRep:
    Well, sat the GL1 today..

Don't think I did that great, but not too bad either so meh...
    Always the June retake anyway
    I did WJEC GL1 yesterday too, and it was really hard. I think i hav failed really badly nd am ready to resit on 24th May! Wat did u put for the question about joints?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emxx)
    I did WJEC GL1 yesterday too, and it was really hard. I think i hav failed really badly nd am ready to resit on 24th May! Wat did u put for the question about joints?
    Can't really remember...what did the question go like?
    I know a few questions I got wrong such as the sedimentary structure one (lecturer hadn't taught us about flame structures.

I also missed some questions out intending to go back to them, in the end I was really running low on time. The Maths gradient one I really screwed up (literally had 10 seconds to do it)

ReputationRep:
    How do you structure geological investigations? I need to write up my fieldwork on magmatic differenciation of the Troodos ophiolite in Cyprus for my A2 coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Well i assume you have written a plan, and filled in one of those planning sheet things (if you are with WJEC). Be sure to fill in the planning sheet with great care and thought- it counts for a considerable amount of marks. They look at the tense you are using and your level of accuracy i believe.

Now you have your data, you need to process it. Put it into tables, graphs, do any calculations that you need to do. Be sure to annotate/ explain what each table and graph is showing. By that i don't mean "This is a graph to show silica levels in sample A of lava"(although you should do this as well). I mean explain what the graph shows- say that "from looking at the graph, it is possible to conclude that the overall composition of lava A is silica rich, with a SiO2 concent of around 62% or whatever". The examiners are looking for detail and accuracy, so try and extrapolate as much information as you can from your results.

Then comes the overall comparison bit- compare the lava samples to each other or whatever. State the differences and similarities and TRY TO EXPLAIN THEM! This is where your further knowledge is tested (and marks are picked up).

Then evaluate! Don't write anything to do with group problems- a lot of people do and get no marks. The examiner does not want to hear that you couldn't do your work on the tuesday because Sarah had run away to join the circus or whatever. They want to know that your results can only be accurate due to a certain level because of the accuracy of the equipment you were using (e.g a balance that only measures to two dp or something). They also aren't interested in weather conditions affecting data collection!

I used this format for my A2 coursework last year (i had a good teacher who told us exactly how to lay it out and it worked). I wish you luck with this- my A2 coursework was split into two sections but in total came to nearly 200 pages, and i clearly remember the sleepless nights!

If you need any more help, just ask- and i'm sorry for my bad examples of lava content (was just trying to think of an example whilst revising myself)!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 26, 2014

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.