Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    200 pages! wow lol thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    do you need to have done Geography for A level to do it in uni?

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if there is physical geography in geology?

I can't decide whether to take modules in geology, geoscience or physical geography!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on which part of geology you decide to take - it could concentrate on parts which are often taught as physical geography but with a more scientific approach, as well as parts you would rarely experience in geography, such as geophysics, geochemistry and the like.

You should definitely take geology modules though - especially those concerning evolution if you are planning to study biology.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would quite like to do some palaeontology as part of evolutionary biology and that gets taught by the Geology Dept.
    And just in general for evolutionary bio I've been told that geology will be quite useful.

What's geoscience? Is that like some sort of hybrid of geography and geology?

I was going to study geology or physical geography at uni but biology won me over... I'm very glad I'll still get to study geology/physical geo even if it isn't my main course

ReputationRep:
    I believe the evolutionary theory is also studied differently, with geology going into aspects such as contingency and the history of evolutionary thinking which are really interesting, and also phylogeny.etc., will be taught slightly differently which helps you get an all round opinion should you be interested in that area.

Also, there are modules on the hydrosphere.etc., where they talk a lot about environmental niches, algal concentrations and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)

What's geoscience? Is that like some sort of hybrid of geography and geology?
    It's basically where you just sit down for 50 minutes and get told that the climate is going to change.

repeat x infinity

ReputationRep:
    I have a question. I'm learning a little about urban structure right now. My teacher explained about the Burgess (concentric) model and the Hoyt (sector) model. I understand both models fairly well I think, but what is the main difference between them? I thought it was that Burgess simply thought about the rings around the CBS, but Hoyt also took factors like geographical location, surrounding, etc. (e.g. near a railway, river, etc.) into account. Furhtermore, I can't really find any existing examples of the models. I believe that a town near the place where I live has a structure that's somewhat similar to the Burgess model, but I'm looking for more structures. I thought the Burgess model is modelled after Chicago, right? So Chicago is an example?
    The CBS would be The Loop, the trasitional part the area around it, the low-class residential area the ghetto-like districs just out of them (e.g. the south, area near U of Chicago), the middle-class districts mainly in the North and somewhat further away, and the high-class commuter districts outside Chicago.

What about an example of a city modelled after the Hoyt model? Any existing?

ReputationRep:
    I think you want the geography society, not the geology!

ReputationRep:
    hoyt covers things like transport routes, so rather than having just concentric rings it shows how some smaller industries will follow main roads etc. It still has a cbd but everything else is organised around it: http://www.bridgewaterhigh.com/Geogr...ange/Hoyt.html

i dont really know of any good examples. i would say london, but that seems to be an example of burgess and hoyt in one, with factors from each.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

How are you all doing? How have the geology courses been going? I have just got back from a trip to Wales where we undertook the task of basic geological mapping! I was expecting it to be a near impossible task but i was suprised. I mean, it's not the easiest thing i've ever done, but as long as you know the rock types and can pick up changes and faults (and place yourself on a map), it is a simple enough task. Does anyone else agree with me?

Another thing i was wondering (this is aimed at graduates/ masters/ PhD students) is how beneficial would a MGeol with a year abroad degree be, compared to a regular MGeol? Does it have much more credibility? The reason i ask is because now that my first year is nearly over, it seems really strange to me to think that in just over a years time i will be packing my bags and moving to America for a year! If i were to have a change of heart and want to stay in England for my degree, would i be at much of a loss?

ReputationRep:
    hey there,
    i did a week in the lakes, near grassmere, had to do mapping etc etc, it was an assessment worth 50% of our fieldstudies module. Your right, it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, i got to grips with it, the hardest part was trying to understand the contact points. It was really interesting to see how things learnt in the class, apply to situations in the field.
    Just got to finish an essay about deltaic environments and fossil fuels!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    worst part of mapping - writing it up bleaugh (and I always got in trouble for making notes/marking readings/sketches on my map instead of starting new localities every time in my notebook)

ReputationRep:
    I made a **** up of my mapping project in Wales . I was in Pembrokeshire. Did you guys enjoy your trips?

ReputationRep:
    lol i did gcse geology and got A* and now doing A level geology =] so let me join the group :P i think its interesting and easy lol
    and my school did a trip to swanage for gcse geology and this year we're going to the isle of arran in june after exams and just come back from ice land

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing GL1 and GL3 tomorrow? Hows everyone feeling about GL3?

ReputationRep:
    plus i think i should be in the group, did gcse and am doing AS

ReputationRep:
    aghhh im doing all 3 modules of OCR AS Geology tomorrow and im pooing myself because i dont think i know enough Im just trying to go through a lodsa past papers and stuff and it dosent help that I have all 3 modules of AS Geography to do on Friday aswell! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not feeling good about GL3! Don't really know what to revise to be honest. Done a few past papers but I don't think that they have helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 26, 2014

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.