Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what are some good satire books?
    ive read some oscar wilde stuff ... found it pretyy good... esp the importance of being earnest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIZZ)
    what are some good satire books?
    ive read some oscar wilde stuff ... found it pretyy good... esp the importance of being earnest
    Richard Brinsley Sheridan's "The Rivals" Its great.

(Original post by bradders)
    Anything by Tom Sharpe. Run his name through a search engine or even amazon/waterstones.
    If your looking for modern satire look at Andrew Marlett's book.

ReputationRep:
    Animal farm by Orwell

Elaborate a little, please?
    "Economy of Errors", you can buy it from amazon.co.uk at a reasonable price.

ReputationRep:
    anything by jane austen especially persuasion she satires english society and the class system of her time

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be silly but....

Private Eye Annuals

ReputationRep:
    Jonathan Swift- still worth reading
    Nathanael West: Miss Lonelyhearts and A Cool Million
    Evelyn Waugh
    Dorothy Parker's poems

ReputationRep:
    Shamela - Henry Fielding.
    Read Pamela (Samuel Richardson) first.
    You can get copies of both online.

ReputationRep:
    Jonathan Swift - Gulliver's Travels

ReputationRep:
    'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov – a satire of Soviet life, starring Satan, a big black cat, and a naked red-haired witch.

ReputationRep:
    A Modest Proposal-Jonathan Swift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    A Modest Proposal-Jonathan Swift
    Excellent choice:
    'I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...'

just to give you an appetite for it.

ReputationRep:
    Barry Trotter and the Unauthorised Parody
    Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel

(satire on the Harry Potter mania)

ReputationRep:
    Buy a book entitled "the Unnecessary Sequel"? Now that’s marketing at its least enticing.
    thats the whole point - it is satire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Excellent choice:
    'I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...'

just to give you an appetite for it.

that quote is just great. i remember when i first read it i was like this :eek: and it took me a while to realise that he was actually serious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov – a satire of Soviet life, starring Satan, a big black cat, and a naked red-haired witch.
    It's a very good book, but not really satire- a fantasy rather. Black Snow and The Heart of a Dog are satires, however.
    Tom Lehrer said satire died when Henry Kissinger got the Nobel Prize. It is one of the problems with the world today- the things people do and say seriously are so grotesque that you couldn't satirise them.
    "Yes, I am proud, I must be proud to see
    Men not afraid of God afraid of me?"
    said Pope, but the world of celebrity and greed means that people cannot be ashamed or shamed. A world where a celebrity killer, a celebrity cannibal, a celebrity crook or cook or television personality are all equal is immune to anything except contempt- and they are too vain and stupid to recognise that.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you say it's a satire of Soviet life, with fantasy woven into it? Or, indeed, a fantasy with satirical elements? I don't think you can ignore the satire in it – Satan is, to put it simplistically, taking the piss out of Moscow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    Wouldn't you say it's a satire of Soviet life, with fantasy woven into it? Or, indeed, a fantasy with satirical elements? I don't think you can ignore the satire in it – Satan is, to put it simplistically, taking the piss out of Moscow!
    Yes, but a Moscow most unlike Moscow actually was in the 1930s. You can't satirise a fantasy city.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't quite mean it like that, but anyway.

There's no political satire at all in this book either? No comment on literary life in Stalinist Russia?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.