Why Further Maths? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Veritas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Why do they have further maths? You do not have any further Chemistry or english, so why for maths? Also why do peaple take maths without further maths?
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thinktank)
QHy do they have further maths? You do not have any further Chemistry or english, so why for maths? Also why do peaple take maths without further maths?
I take just maths because i'm not smart enough to take further maths

Maths is for like the most intelligent people, so they seperate the intelligent ones from the bright ones and discriminate us that way :mad:

EDIT: your the think tank, you should already know why :rolleyes:
Veritas
Rep:
?
I still think its stupid.
Veritas
Rep:
?
They should make maths more difficult and standardise it.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They should make maths more difficult and standardise it.
:rofl:

i can imagine the reaction;

*thinktank freezed for all eternity for making maths harder*

dont do it Thinktank!! :eek:
fernando
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by saiyamana)

Maths is for like the most intelligent people
thanks

but in answer to your question(s) further maths is basically the entire two years of maths in the first, and a much harder course in the second for those who can grasp the concepts easier, otherwise time would get short if people found it hard.
I think there are further chemisty classes but its a matter of speed vs. understanding - english would take too much time unless you had to read the literature at home all the time
Font
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cos its the best subject in the world..second best being normal maths...and its beautiful, had many applications in the real world, is fun, interesting, pays good in general, and we're in high demand :p:

need any better reasons as to "why further maths"? :cool:

Pk
Veritas
Rep:
?
No its just studid. Just have normal maths.
fernando
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No its just studid. Just have normal maths.
nah - people understand it quicker and would prefer to do exams quicker in case they forget + they would get bored of the same thing
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's because Mathematics is arguably more important than other subjects and has a much wider scope.
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think this question should be considered in conjunction with the one raised by this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t104473.html

If you need FM to be able to cope with Maths at one of the best Universities, then you need it. Full Stop.

The question then arises as to why you should need these 2 A Levels as a minimum entry qualification to a course. One might suggest that it is because the course is superior to any other...

...one might be wrong of course...

Aitch
Veritas
Rep:
?
It doesnt matter if you can read and write as long as you can add and take away then?
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It doesnt matter if you can read and write as long as you can add and take away then?
The opinion I expressed in the post above is that of an old git with an M. Lit...

Aitch
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mate does maths and further maths, he loves maths, and says only take it if you really don't mind living and breathing maths (which is why i havent even opted to take as maths despite me gcse pred A*)

But looking at further maths work its just advanced maths, which in some parts looks pretty fun
TomX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's because Maths is a very popular subject, lots of people take it and universitys need to be able to differentiate (like the Maths speech there ) between the people who just take Maths (like many people) and the people who like Maths (the ones who do Further Maths).

Some colleges only have a few people doing it, I know of a college where 4 people do it, 26 people do it in my college
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm going to respond with a few points:
1) A-Levels do not involve teaching people how to read, write, add or take away. While they are being dumbed down I do not believe they are quite that bad yet.
2) All of the traditional sciences are to an extent run by Mathematics. Without high level Mathematics we wouldn't be able to investigate the nature of our world or produce any of the technology you have come to rely on such as cars, planes, televisions, computers, central heating and cookers.
3) While it's nice to be able to write like shakespeare it isn't exactly vital for the progress of the human race quite like mathematics is.
4) Mathematics students are in demand. English ones aren't.
5) People take Maths without further Maths because further mathematics is 6 whole modules of new, more difficult content and they aren't really interested in proceeding to do a physical science at university.

Edit: For english don't we have Lit, Lang and AEA?
david cool
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I loved maths at gcse and always did it , ALWAYs , so it was natural for me to do further maths at alevel plus u pretty much know wats gonna come up on the exam , I find science subjects u have to think about alot , not really the case with maths. PLus u gonna do the same questions again again and again so its all cool , even tho its bloody hard sometimes lol
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why do they have further maths?
I think it's because maths has both the highest A-grade rate and the highest fail rate

It's an odd subject that way and there needs to be some qualification that will stretch the best of the bunch, who will find A-level fairly boring and trivial despite its genuine difficulties for many others
Feria
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Alot of universities require people to do some maths for alot of science based subjects, so, I suppose they wanted to offer two levels, so, people who are taking maths because they need it and people who really love it (ie me) dont have to do very little or too much than they can grasp, also, by having it as two A levels, its easier to encourage more people to take it because it gets you thinking in very productive ways. before they had it liek this, they had two A levels which were pure and applied, just like the whole idea of lit and lang, so I dont think its all that different, but what is, is that the way maths is modulised, its easier to make more alevels for it than other more standardly written Alevels... I mean, look at me, Im doing Maths, Further Maths and Further Additional Maths... to some extent, it feels like free A levels :P
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
at our skool if you wanna take further maths as a fifth a-level it cuts out 3 of your frees each week and you only get five, lol, because really we only take four and general studies.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads