RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by J.F.N)
Yep!
Care to share - or is it one of those where you had to be there/

Doesn't sound like the type of joke that travels well.
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
On the subject of maths jokes, here's one that I've yet to post on here for fear it's too abstruse.

Most people look at me like I'm a gimp when I tell it, but one tutor did wet himself so it has a limited audience

Q: Do you know an interesting anagram of BANACH-TARSKI?

A: BANACH-TARSKI BANACH-TARSKI

One professor said I'd forgot to mention that the letters were three-dimensional. Pedant! :mad:

<enter tumbleweed stage right>
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Okay. I go to Gimperial and I STILL don't understand that joke...

I don't understand the arguement that Maths is for lots of people (high fail rate), yet some people breeze through it (high A rate). This is also true of ALevel Physics (and to a lesser degree the other sciences). Most people find physics very difficult (even now they've taken AL Maths out of it). But the fact remains there is FMaths but not FPhysics. Why?
NikolaiJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mehh)
Okay. I go to Gimperial and I STILL don't understand that joke...

I don't understand the arguement that Maths is for lots of people (high fail rate), yet some people breeze through it (high A rate). This is also true of ALevel Physics (and to a lesser degree the other sciences). Most people find physics very difficult (even now they've taken AL Maths out of it). But the fact remains there is FMaths but not FPhysics. Why?
Compared to maths I find physics a breeze. I only do regular maths, if I had my time again I'd have dont further maths, perhaps not for the qualification - more for the way it probably would have boosted my regular maths competence.
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
On the subject of maths jokes, here's one that I've yet to post on here for fear it's too abstruse.

Most people look at me like I'm a gimp when I tell it, but one tutor did wet himself so it has a limited audience

Q: Do you know an interesting anagram of BANACH-TARSKI?

A: BANACH-TARSKI BANACH-TARSKI

One professor said I'd forgot to mention that the letters were three-dimensional. Pedant! :mad:

<enter tumbleweed stage right>
I found that funny, shall I end my life now?
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AMM)
I found that funny, shall I end my life now?
Yes I think it would probably be for the best :p:

No need really, as long as you can deal with being amongst such a refined set of gimpoids. :eek:
Feria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess because Maths is quite broad at A level, people tend to pick and choose what they want to study, and theres enough left for people to do more modules *shrugs*
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I suppose the present arrangement could be restructured to give only separate ALs for (say)

Pure Maths
Statistics
Mechanics
Decision Maths + (say) Maths for Computing. (or similar)

But if the Pure Maths AL were to comprise the current P1-6, it would still be tougher than other ALs, as would Mechanics (M1-6) and Stats (S1-6).

There is no obvious alternative to the current M + FM arrangement.

Aitch
Nightfire
Report 13 years ago
Further maths is great, if very hard. You learn a lot of new stuff you would not learn otherwise. Also it is (FP1) apprently the first year of Uni, so if you are taking maths at Uni, and have done further maths you are a step ahead.
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nightfire)
Also it is (FP1) apprently the first year of Uni, so if you are taking maths at Uni, and have done further maths you are a step ahead.
I think it depends very much on the university as to how much Further Maths is gone over in a degree. And probably for the Russell group unis at least, there'll be quite a lot of new stuff right from the off. Uni maths generally though has different aims to what further maths was out to teach.
Feria
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
FP1 is way easier than C4... oO
80s Love Child!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well for me, i had enough of that CURSED Maths at GCSEs and i think thats it really. im not taking further Maths anymore :p:
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nightfire)
Further maths is great, if very hard. You learn a lot of new stuff you would not learn otherwise. Also it is (FP1) apprently the first year of Uni, so if you are taking maths at Uni, and have done further maths you are a step ahead.
I've heard that the three further pure modules are all covered as a small part of the syllabus in the first term usually, but in a more rigorous style.
Feria
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Agreed, I heard the same thing for FP3/P6.. it gets covered at uni anyway... but I thought I should do it now anyway.. less to do at uni! :P
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?