Talk about arguments and comment on the use of:

Facts

Opinions

Implications

Rhetoric

Counter arguments

Bias

Generalisations

Comment on Presentation and Layout i.e text set out in columns seems less daunting and is easier to read.

In descriptive language:

The six scenes => Smell, Touch, see, feel, hear, taste

Metaphors

Analogies

Personification

Alliteration

Onomatopoeia

Irony

Sarcasm

Technical Language

Emotive Language

Comment on the structure of the text.

Show insight in your answers.

Use alternative interpretations.

Show empathy with the writer.

For section B you will have to either; Argue, Persuade, or Advice.

Identify the purpose of the text you need to write about, this is always in the question.

Decide on your structure. i.e magazine article , this combined with your audience will tell you about the type of language to use. (do not lay out your work in the form of this structure, only write the text for it!)

Choose the type of language, i.e a magazine for girls = chatty and informal language. A newspaper article about politics = formal, more serious.

Letters- Formal or Informal
Adverts- Persuasive.
Articles- Can have different purposes.
Leaflets- Informative.

If you get another type of question;
Decide on who your audience is.
Decide on the language to use.

Writing to Argue use;
Generalisations
Personal Anecdotes
Repetition
Satire
Facts and Statistics
Quote Authorities
Counter - Arguments
Different Tenses
Emotive Language
Rhetorical Questions
Irony

^ You dont have to include all of them, some of them may not even relate to the audience.

Writing to Persuade use;

Flattery

Present opinions as Facts (Assertion)

Emotive language.

Anecdotes

Rhetorical Questions

Exaggeration

Writing to Advise use;

Headlines and Bullet points

Ask questions (works well in headlines) then give answers.

Use "Do" and "Dont".

Give options

Use if or Unless

How, When, Where and Why

If or Unless (you dont.....this WILL happen.)

Summery

Remember to use P.E.E (point.evidence.explain)

If your unsure about any of the points, just ask.

For section B, i will most likely be Persuading; because as you can see, you can use so many techniques it's unbelievable.
Reply 3
IndieDavid
For section A:

You need to be able to identify and explain:

The purpose of the text! i.e argue

The audience

Formal/Informal styles

Talk about arguments and comment on the use of:

Facts

Opinions

Implications

Rhetoric

Counter arguments

Bias

Generalisations

Comment on Presentation and Layout i.e text set out in columns seems less daunting and is easier to read.

In descriptive language:

The six scenes => Smell, Touch, see, feel, hear, taste

Metaphors

Analogies

Personification

Alliteration

Onomatopoeia

Irony

Sarcasm

Technical Language

Emotive Language

Comment on the structure of the text.

Show insight in your answers.

Use alternative interpretations.

Show empathy with the writer.

For section B you will have to either; Argue, Persuade, or Advice.

Identify the purpose of the text you need to write about, this is always in the question.

Decide on your structure. i.e magazine article , this combined with your audience will tell you about the type of language to use. (do not lay out your work in the form of this structure, only write the text for it!)

Choose the type of language, i.e a magazine for girls = chatty and informal language. A newspaper article about politics = formal, more serious.

Letters- Formal or Informal
Adverts- Persuasive.
Articles- Can have different purposes.
Leaflets- Informative.

If you get another type of question;
Decide on who your audience is.
Decide on the language to use.

Writing to Argue use;
Generalisations
Personal Anecdotes
Repetition
Satire
Facts and Statistics
Quote Authorities
Counter - Arguments
Different Tenses
Emotive Language
Rhetorical Questions
Irony

^ You dont have to include all of them, some of them may not even relate to the audience.

Writing to Persuade use;

Flattery

Present opinions as Facts

Emotive language.

Anecdotes

Rhetorical Questions

Exaggeration

Writing to Advise use;

Headlines and Bullet points

Ask questions (works well in headlines) then give answers.

Use "Do" and "Dont".

Give options

Use if or Unless

How, When, Where and Why

If or Unless (you dont.....this WILL happen.)

Summery

Remember to use P.E.E (point.evidence.explain)

If your unsure about any of the points, just ask.

For section B, i will most likely be Persuading; because as you can see, you can use so many techniques it's unbelievable.

Thank you! And if you're doing the English exam too, good luck.
Reply 4
Anon_123
Thank you! And if you're doing the English exam too, good luck.

Thanks, good luck to you too. Here is a full marks model answer to the whole paper.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3702-1H-W-CEX-S1-A.PDF
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3702-1H-W-CEX-S1-B.PDF
Reply 5
IndieDavid

That cannot be full marks:s-smilie:
IndieDavid

Could you elaborate on exactly what rhetoric is? I believe it's something, 'to achieve a specific effect,' (in my revision guide anyway). Thanks.
Reply 7
addylad
Could you elaborate on exactly what rhetoric is? I believe it's something, 'to achieve a specific effect,' (in my revision guide anyway). Thanks.

Yep, your guide is correct, i should have really writen Rhetorical Questions there as i've already stated repetition and exaggeration,
Reply 8
addylad

A rehtorical question is where there is a question that doesn't need an answer because it already has an obvious one, or it allows the reader to think about something.

For example

"Do you want your kids growing up in a polluted world?"

Answer is obviously no, but allows the reader to think about it before reading the rest of the article and being easily swayed to the side of the writer.
Reply 9

That is exactly what I thought, but the Paper is marked S1; which is the code for the paper that got full marks.
Reply 10
IndieDavid
That is exactly what I thought, but the Paper is marked S1; which is the code for the paper that got full marks.

Maybe it is just my teacher but we had that paper as a past paper practice and I only got a B on it. I wrote relatively the same if not better than this example. However I do like harsh marking, leads me to improve and get an even better result in GCSE than expected :biggrin:
16manu
Maybe it is just my teacher but we had that paper as a past paper practice and I only got a B on it. I wrote relatively the same if not better than this example. However I do like harsh marking, leads me to improve and get an even better result in GCSE than expected :biggrin:

That paper was definitely full marks, however; that's the thing that bothers me mostly. What if the examiner likes that paper more than mine? All examiners are different, so its not truly a fair result.
IndieDavid
That paper was definitely full marks, however; that's the thing that bothers me mostly. What if the examiner likes that paper more than mine? All examiners are different, so its not truly a fair result.

it's always going to be like that for English...for other subjects like maths - there's either a right or a wrong.
Reply 13
IndieDavid

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3702-1H-W-CEX-S5-A.PDF

But that one says S5 :s-smilie:

So sorry, the first one is S5, which was like a C i think, the second one is full marks though.

Here is section one FULL MARKS
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3702-1H-W-CEX-S1-A.PDF

I have also updated my previous post.

Sorry about that, i didn't notice.
Also, has anyone got any FULL past exam papers for english A, paper 1, i just want to try it out under timed conditions and see what i can squeeze in.

thats what i was thinking whilst reading it ...
:confused:
Reply 17
IndieDavid
Also, has anyone got any FULL past exam papers for english A, paper 1, i just want to try it out under timed conditions and see what i can squeeze in.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/english_med/new/english_a_materials.php?id=02&prev=

Latest