Turn on thread page Beta

wats up with my ear man watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Three pieces of simple advice:-

1. Don't use cotton wool buds - they will not help at all.
    2. Try holding your nose with your fingers, close your mouth and then breathe out very hard.
    3. Have a very steamy shower - if u have cubicle shower - or put a blanket over ur head and put it over a bowl of steamy water.

If this doesn't help - see your GP
    i just tried number 2....the right ear [the one in question] is more blocked then the other one

ReputationRep:
    my gran says if you got too much wax, gotta pour oil in the ear....dono if it works, or indeed if its safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    my gran says if you got too much wax, gotta pour oil in the ear....dono if it works, or indeed if its safe
    Thanks, but i wont be trying that then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    :mad:
    You mean the most ADVANCED medical student here. Not the first.
    theres another guy on here who is just about to start as a PRHO...

Good luck Anita tho. (thinks she sticks more to medicine page rather than H&R)
    Coola - who is it?

ReputationRep:
    Olive oil in the ear is perfectly safe and the ideal thing to use. Just for goodness sakes DON'T HEAT it first.

ReputationRep:
    2. Try holding your nose with your fingers, close your mouth and then breathe out very hard.
    And risk perforating the ear drum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    damn wont be trying that again

ReputationRep:
    You can use ear drops but if its lots of wax the only cure is to have them seranged(sp). I have to have this done about once a year, its not a pleasent experience but its not as bad as the dentist.

ReputationRep:
    i just thought of a new way to describe it....its like a heartbeat inside my ear, but its not regular.

ReputationRep:
    The Valsalva manoeuvre is very safe. Please show me any evidence that is associated with a risk of perforated ear drum.

ReputationRep:
    The Valsalva manoeuvre is very safe. Please show me any evidence that is associated with a risk of perforated ear drum.
    I was reading a paper on it (clinical study) in an ENT journal a few weeks back. The gist of it was that in people with an underlying pathology, the increase in the naso-pharyngeal pressure can lead to micro-perforations, which then become larger over time.

[edit] I can't remember the name of the jounal as it was a random read while having a break from my PBL write up - the artical was called Barotrauma of the ear, or words to that effect. Will have another look tomorrow if I remember...

ReputationRep:
    Are you Cooks199?

(Original post by sb1986)
    tinitus in 1 ear? its only been there for about 2 days, and it doesnt feel like a random ringin it feels like somethings there.

I use cotton buds [ i know i shouldnt]
    Its only been for a couple of days? Oooo, i thought this was a long termy thing.
    Yeh dont use cotton buds, especially not on their own. it just pushes the wax back to the ear drum and compresses it.
    olive oil in the ear is fine, (dont heat!) or go and get ear drops (usually various oils like peppermint, almond etc) put some in an ear (till its like ur under water), like with that ear up and leave for 5 mins (watch tv or somat) then with toilet roll placed over the ear roll over. the oil dissolves the wax gently away.

I thought the valsalva manoeuvre was used to manipulate blood pressure through autonomic control....
    (maybe hes another of these guys who found lots of stuff....)

don't understand how it would help a blocked ear. any pressure would be placed on the ear drum, not outside it....

ReputationRep:
    Its mainly used as Fluffy said by divers and is advised for flying to prevent barotrauma - by equalising pressures.

The evidence for its use at ground level is I think very weak and may only be a placebo effect - but is often just used in case. I equate it to the use of carotid sinus massage in the treatment of SVT (something widely tried, safe, but rarely works).

ReputationRep:
    i've had, and still have this exact thing in my right ear. it's more something that occurs randomly; sometimes many times a day, sometimes only once a fornight or so.

i'm hygenic with my ears bla bla bla, and i actually saw a doctor about it a year ago, a few months after it started, but it never went away really. he had a look in with his gadget and couldn't actually see anything wrong with it, so told me to come back if there's any real problem. when it happens, it feels and sounds like the eardrum (or something in there) is pulsating, and it's not exactly in synch with my hearbeat or pulse, the rhythm's also not too regular. the 'pulsations' are more noticable when there's some kind of audio, i.e. radio or tv, and it doesn't have to be on loud at all. i'm baffled.

(Original post by silence)
    i've had, and still have this exact thing in my right ear. it's more something that occurs randomly; sometimes many times a day, sometimes only once a fornight or so.

i'm hygenic with my ears bla bla bla, and i actually saw a doctor about it a year ago, a few months after it started, but it never went away really. he had a look in with his gadget and couldn't actually see anything wrong with it, so told me to come back if there's any real problem. when it happens, it feels and sounds like the eardrum (or something in there) is pulsating, and it's not exactly in synch with my hearbeat or pulse, the rhythm's also not too regular. the 'pulsations' are more noticable when there's some kind of audio, i.e. radio or tv, and it doesn't have to be on loud at all. i'm baffled.
    now aside from it being more noticable with noise about that sounds like tinitus.
    which is unfortunately largely untreatable....

Coola - who is it?
    There was another person last year, but can't remember their name (had a few PMs back and forth, don't think they were very prevelent)

Plus i think i misunderstood and thought u meant longest serving med student on here lol

(I Joined 08/09/2003 and only other medic here nearly thatn long is TOYL who joined 21/09/2003.)

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dancing2: silly me

ReputationRep:
    mines changed again today, after i had a shower and some water went inside. When i move my head to make my ear face the floor the rumbling starts. when i move it back up it starts aswell. other then that its quiet.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.