Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    (I'm peliot's friend): I'd like to study ancient languages and have settled (I think) on Latin and Sanskrit (I don't know anything about the latter, but it interests me in a boffin kinda way!). How hard is it to get into this joint school (compared to straight classics say)?
    I do: Latin, French, German, English and Hist for AS level. Predicted As. Same subjects and same predictions for A2. [I have 2 AS sciences also which i did instead of GCSE].
    I'm worried about applying for something with so few places. There aren't very many universities that do this kinda thing so i might be risking all for what i really love and end up with nothing. Help and thoughts pls. THX.

tommy

ReputationRep:
    what's life without risks. if you really want to do the course, apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srmcit)
    what's life without risks. if you really want to do the course, apply.
    nothing, but how hard is it to get in compared to 'straight' Classics? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that Oxford offers a joint Latin and Sanskrit course? If it does, and that's really what you want to study, I say go for it.

There will be fewer places on offer than for Classics, but there are of course many fewer students with the motivation to study something so unusual. The number of places given for a small subject like this is probably a reflection of the number of candidates they get - this is almost definitely a subject area in which a college will "create" a place for you if they like you enough.

You will need to know a lot about Sanskrit though for the interview - get a book out from your local library and try to learn something about the structure of the language, and read some literature written in Sanskrit in translation.

Remember the obscure "boffin" subjects are what Oxford is all about! Tutors will love someone who wants to study something unusual and has good reasons for doing it...

Just my two cents worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teabag)
    Are you sure that Oxford offers a joint Latin and Sanskrit course? If it does, and that's really what you want to study, I say go for it.

There will be fewer places on offer than for Classics, but there are of course many fewer students with the motivation to study something so unusual. The number of places given for a small subject like this is probably a reflection of the number of candidates they get - this is almost definitely a subject area in which a college will "create" a place for you if they like you enough.

You will need to know a lot about Sanskrit though for the interview - get a book out from your local library and try to learn something about the structure of the language, and read some literature written in Sanskrit in translation.

Remember the obscure "boffin" subjects are what Oxford is all about! Tutors will love someone who wants to study something unusual and has good reasons for doing it...

Just my two cents worth.
    A big THANK you, Teabag. Think I'll give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Tommy

I am going up to Balliol in Michaelmas '05 to read PPE. Whilst I am not uncaptivated by the intricacies of political, economic, and philosophical thought, my heart lays in my interest in the mysticism, beauty, and the aesthetic of the Orient - wholly different to our own. I did not apply to read Japanese (Oriental Studies) because of being a chickenheart, and I already regret the decision - so please follow through with it, if your heart tells you so.

Teaching in the Oriental Studies degree is rarely in-college, and most will take place at the Oriental Institute, which is a nice, inter-collegiate, and tightknit community. Colleges will make place for you as someone has already said if your interest and dedication to a rather difficult course is solid and demonstrably so.

Good luck
    Edgar

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.