Turn on thread page Beta

who are the thickest people you know who got into oxbridge? (GCSE/AS GRADES) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stewie)
    Someone at Oxford doing Oriental Studies: No A*'s (All A's and a few B's at GCSE), C's and D's at AS Level and was given an offer....made the AAB grades in the end, but once said "Yeah, I pray...right....but I don't believe in God"

Makes you lose faith in humanity.......
    As and Bs in GCSEs does not make someone thick.

And AAB is an average offer so as he made it he obviously isn't thick.

ReputationRep:
    Someone at Oxford doing Oriental Studies: No A*'s (All A's and a few B's at GCSE), C's and D's at AS Level and was given an offer....made the AAB grades in the end, but once said "Yeah, I pray...right....but I don't believe in God"

Makes you lose faith in humanity.......
    Which Oriental Studies course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    As and Bs in GCSEs does not make someone thick.

And AAB is an average offer so as he made it he obviously isn't thick.

He once asked what "hiatus" meant........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    (Prince Charles went to Cam...he got 2Cs at Alevel i believe...correct me if i am wrong)
    Prince Charles got into Cambridge with a Grade B in History and a Grade C in French to read Archaeology and Anthropology, followed by History.

ReputationRep:
    He once asked what "hiatus" meant........
    and.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    and.......

I'm sorry, but I worked my a** off to get good GCSE's and even harder for my AS levels, and if someone can get in to one of the world's best universities by not bothering to do any work, going to the pub every lunchtime and after school (as he did) and generally taking no interest in the world around them and what really matters, isn't that a sad day for intellectualism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Prince Charles got into Cambridge with a Grade B in History and a Grade C in French to read Archaeology and Anthropology, followed by History.
    I'm sure some strings were pulled to admit him....he's the Prince of Wales after all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I worked my a** off to get good GCSE's and even harder for my AS levels, and if someone can get in to one of the world's best universities by not bothering to do any work, going to the pub every lunchtime and after school (as he did) and generally taking no interest in the world around them and what really matters, isn't that a sad day for intellectualism?
    Stewie, you living under some illusion that AS/A2 results are indicitive of intelligence and how intellectual you are. You are sadly mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs to realise that Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Stewie, you living under some illusion that AS/A2 results are indicitive of intelligence and how intellectual you are. You are sadly mistaken.

No, but asking the meaning of a simple word at aged 18 when you claim to be reading well in preparation for your application.......you don't see something wrong there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I thought Arch and Anth only became an undergraduate degree in the early 90s?

ReputationRep:
    No, but asking the meaning of a simple word at aged 18 when you claim to be reading well in preparation for your application.......you don't see something wrong there?
    "He who asks is a fool for five minutes, he who doesn't is a fool for eternity."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Someone needs to realise that Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of life.

It's not, but for 3 years I knew I wanted to do Theology for it's own benifits at the best place in the country to explore it and I have every right to be concerned when people who aren't that bright and who haven't worked for the oppotunity bring the whole system down; it's like admitting people from certain schools/backgrounds because they're under pressure to, not because they're picking all the best candidates. Letting average people into Oxbridge goes against the very principle of the place itself and gives two-fingers to those who really deserve it and could really use the oppotunities given to them, not bask in the glory of the prestige of where you study.

ReputationRep:
    But hey... I've probably got the worst GCSE grades around.. (I did O Levels which is pretty much the equivalent) AAAAABBC.. not a single A*. That's coz' I mucked around for the entire 4 years of my course. However, having said that.. I don't think I'm 'thick'.. I have been on scholarship since I was 11 (2 from my country) to overseas countries.. and the scholarships were worth 3000 dollars (1000 pounds) a MONTH - this went on for 6 years. I also did a miraculous reform stint when I got back to Brunei and after working hard, I did much better for AS levels... 5As with 3100% for 3 subjects and my lowest grade being 92%.

What I am trying to say is that grades don't reflect how smart a person is. Sometimes even the smartest people have bad luck during exams.. mess up a bit but I don't think we should ever judge how smart someone else is when we can't even figure out how smart we are. Just try to feel happy for those who got accepted into Oxbridge, sympathise with the disappointed ones, and most importantly, feel happy about yourself.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's not, but for 3 years I knew I wanted to do Theology for it's own benifits at the best place in the country to explore it and I have every right to be concerned when people who aren't that bright and who haven't worked for the oppotunity bring the whole system down; it's like admitting people from certain schools/backgrounds because they're under pressure to, not because they're picking all the best candidates. Letting average people into Oxbridge goes against the very principle of the place itself and gives two-fingers to those who really deserve it and could really use the oppotunities given to them, not bask in the glory of the prestige of where you study.
    Well Oxford obviously thought he had a lot of potential, which is what they look for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    But really, depends what you call 'thick'. Fallibility? Stupidity? Grades? IQ-test scores? Intelligence in their subject? Musical 'intelligence'? Chess ability?... The list is endless, and I think that in itself makes a better point....

Then again, Oxbridge isn't MENSA and IQ isn't intelligence.
    Exactly

I *suck* at Chess

Sometimes people who do well in exams are just good at revision and exams - being a whizz at scoring in the Academic stystem is not the same thing as being intelligent. I don't deny that there may well be a very strong correlation, which makes sense - but intelligence is broader than that and only if it overflows into your broader character can you expect it to have any value in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Well Oxford obviously thought he had a lot of potential, which is what they look for.
    That says much about Oxford then.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    Exactly

I *suck* at Chess

Sometimes people who do well in exams are just good at revision and exams - being a whizz at scoring in the Academic stystem is not the same thing as being intelligent. I don't deny that there may well be a very strong correlation, which makes sense - but intelligence is broader than that and only if it overflows into your broader character can you expect it to have any value in the real world.

Anyone can regurgitate what they need for exams, but things like emotional intelligence and a broad general knowledge are things that mark people out as being smart

ReputationRep:
    I know you are bitter but mistakes do happen. I know a guy who got rejected from Cambridge but through his utter determination (and realisation that he was good enough) he reapplied and gained a place. In the end, he gained the highest first in his whole year. Instead of dwelling on the faults of the admissions' procedure just (a) reapply or (b) move on.

ReputationRep:
    Letting average people into Oxbridge goes against the very principle of the place itself and gives two-fingers to those who really deserve it and could really use the oppotunities given to them, not bask in the glory of the prestige of where you study.
    But is it fair to assume that average exam level results denote an average person?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.