Turn on thread page Beta

who are the thickest people you know who got into oxbridge? (GCSE/AS GRADES) watch

ReputationRep:
    It can also come down the people that you know at cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    I got one A*, four A, three Bs and 2Ds
    and I got pooled by cambridge for engineering
    do you think I would have been accepted if I had 10A instead?
    No, GCSE grades hold very litle weight; plenty of people get in with less than perfect GCSEs. It would have been more to do with interviews and reports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmelen)
    Thankyou Philo, my offer was from Christ Church (not where i originally applied)... i'm not too sure what to think of it all really, my first reaction was that i would be out of place etc, but after having looked into it properly i just cant wait for experience. i certainly am not of the opinion that it is a college of raving etonian rahs, and i guess that in a college that size there is a huge mix of people, something i will relish being a part of.

i agree with you about the 'not just learnt from rote' comment as well, the way you deal with 'new' issues is VERY important, as i guess this assesses the 'its the way you think' bit that the prospectuses are always on about. if you come across as quick and able to deal with new things, using knowledge you already have and showing abilty to adapt ideas, this would stand you in much better stead for the university life than repeating old facts.

Hello Schmelen,

Well done on getting your offer from Oxfit, it sounds like your interview went really well, what grades do you have to get?! Sounds like you'll get them to me :cool: . I'm still waiting to hear from Cambridge as I've been pooled, though apparently they're still considering my application, psk I think they're a bit rubbish and maybe I should have sang them a song at my interview then I might have come across as being as cool as you?

ReputationRep:
    Here are some GCSE and AS results of Oxbridge applicants from my school:

9A* AAAA
    9A* AAAA
    8A*1A AAAA
    7A*2A AAAB <-
    6A*3A AAAA <- One of my mates (he was 16 when he had his interview)
    6A*3A AABB <- This guy is 'the thickest'???????

The people with <- next to their names were accepted, the rest were not.

This is because Oxbridge look for more than just good grades. The guy who I have labelled 'the thickest' is quite possibly one of the most intelligent people I have ever met, he can hold his own on any debate about pretty much any subject. He has an offer to read english and his ability in that subject is just phenomenal. So what I'm saying is highest grades DO NOT = cleverest people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    Here are some GCSE and AS results of Oxbridge applicants from my school:

9A* AAAA
    9A* AAAA
    8A*1A AAAA
    7A*2A AAAB <-
    6A*3A AAAA <- One of my mates (he was 16 when he had his interview)
    6A*3A AABB <- This guy is 'the thickest'???????

The people with <- next to their names were accepted, the rest were not.

This is because Oxbridge look for more than just good grades. The guy who I have labelled 'the thickest' is quite possibly one of the most intelligent people I have ever met, he can hold his own on any debate about pretty much any subject. He has an offer to read english and his ability in that subject is just phenomenal. So what I'm saying is highest grades DO NOT = cleverest people
    Good post JaF - people get too hung up on grades, and the plain truth is, it's only a single mark that distinguishes between an A and a B, an A* and an A. It would be pretty *dumb* to base judgements on purely grades... which is why Oxbridge don't

It makes sense even if it isn't infallible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fit)
    Hello Schmelen,

Well done on getting your offer from Oxfit, it sounds like your interview went really well, what grades do you have to get?! Sounds like you'll get them to me :cool: . I'm still waiting to hear from Cambridge as I've been pooled, though apparently they're still considering my application, psk I think they're a bit rubbish and maybe I should have sang them a song at my interview then I might have come across as being as cool as you?
    No!!! not more pooled nonesense, awful things they are, making you wait, entirely unfit. honestly, these really are Hard Times. i'm certain you will get in though fit, they definately would have fancied you.
    i got an AAB offer, thank god. i think it was because they know i wont be able to get three A's, but im not going to complain!
    hmmm... sounds like a song could have been a fab idea, especially if you can write utterly original and fit songs, and even better if the guitar is tuned correctly, of course! er, not too sure about this 'cool' thing kid, i think i came across as a complete wierdo (especially because i kept laughing at stuff i was saying, and i was way too opinionated, er, and the rest...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmio)
    who are the thickest people you know who got into oxbridge? (GCSE/AS GRADES)
    I know this guy at Cambridge (Robinson) who is seriously thick - he thought Dublin was the capital of Scotland!
    He did get 4 A-Levels though - however he speaks three languages fluently, got a D in one other and a U in Maths.
    Incidently, he is an international student (Africa) so pays more money and from an ethnic minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    I know this guy at Cambridge (Robinson) who is seriously thick - he thought Dublin was the capital of Scotland!
    Incidently, he is an international student (Africa) so pays more money and from an ethnic minority.
    Do you know the capitals of the countries in Africa? Of Rwanda? Burundi? Benin? Togo? Burkina Faso?
    Perhaps the fact he thought Dublin is the capital of Scotland isn't quite as surprising if it's on the other side of the world to where he lives. Knowledge does not equal Intelligence.
    That doesn't not make him thick, but to base judgement on some frivolous piece of general knowledge is foolish.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Do you know the capitals of the countries in Africa? Of Rwanda? Burundi? Benin? Togo? Burkina Faso?
    Perhaps the fact he thought Dublin is the capital of Scotland isn't quite as surprising if it's on the other side of the world to where he lives. Knowledge does not equal Intelligence.
    That doesn't not make him thick, but to base judgement on some frivolous piece of general knowledge is foolish.

Alaric.
    beat me to it. i agree.

ReputationRep:

Alaric.
    He was brought up in England and you'd assume that any one accepted into Cambridge would have a minimum of general knowledge

ReputationRep:
    He was brought up in England and you'd assume that any one accepted into Cambridge would have a minimum of general knowledge
    Furthermore, he went to a british public school and his girlfriend comes from Dublin

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore, he went to a british public school and his girlfriend comes from Dublin
    Hehehe lol, one might well expect him to know then!

Still he could be very very good at his subject, though obviously as I don't know him I can't judge!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably the thickest person I know!

For GCSEs I got 2A*s, 7 'A's and a 'D'... and for my AS-Levels I got an 'A' and 3 'B's I've been predicted 4 'A's for my A-levels though, so maybe that's why I got an offer

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe lol, one might well expect him to know then!

Still he could be very very good at his subject, though obviously as I don't know him I can't judge!

Alaric.
    He does languages, and although he has innate linguistic ability, he is struggling with the more "academic" side of the course, ie literature

ReputationRep:
    Ive been pooled by Queens' for law. For my GCSE's i got
    1 A*
    1B
    All the rest A's
    For AS i got
    History A dropped 8 marks
    Economics A
    ICT B
    Law AS dropped (as the teacher couldnt teach, turns out she wasnt qualified lol)
    So in response i dont think its grades, i know there are plenty of people who had an outright rejection with straight A's and *'s but i think Oxbridge is looking for more than that.
    For example i felt my interview, dare i say, went well. I interacted with the interviewers and had a general chat, albeit on a high intillectual level.
    I think its the real person they look for at the interview and im sorry to say it but those who spend all there time in books with no social life etc are not really what Cambridge want. I may be wrong, but i would hope that they want genuinly interesting ppl, e.g they seemed more interested in my Clay Shooting Competitions and Australian holiday than they did my grades!!

Oh well, gd luck peeps. If u are one of the bookworms ignore me, what do i know- il probably get rejected anyways!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a self confessed bookworm but I still have a life! I still have friends, play sport etc etc and depending on what mood I'm in can confuse people in an instant by babbling on about a load of rubbish, that makes me 'different', I was once told i'm 'special', with the inverted commas, maybe it wasn't a compliment

No one who goes to Cambridge is "thick", grades shouldn't be used to label people, people can have bad days etc etc. I'm sort of of the belief that everyone is clever in their own way, people have different strenghts and weakness. Someone might not be brilliant at maths and get an E but may be amazing at art just cos they got an E doesn't make them thick. Anyway we don't really have the right to judge others on the basis on exam results, do we? Life is about more than that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Anyway we don't really have the right to judge others on the basis on exam results, do we?
    What do you think the current system does?

ReputationRep:
    A question that has been bothering for quite a bit:

How is it that some people do more than 4 Alevels...some people in UKL claim to have done 6!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)

How is it that some people do more than 4 Alevels...some people in UKL claim to have done 6!!
    Some people take another year to do extra....

some do some a year earlier (ie. during GCSEs)....others (eg. those abroad) live where there is an incredibly high work ethic...so do loads!!!

Not me tho!!

I'm really lazy!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)

My fifth (Art) was done a year early (in a year) through an evening class every thursday at the local college. The fact I didn't really get around to doing the coursework might go someway to explaining my appauling grade

My school let me do the other 4 there, essentially 2 were done in a year there too because it was maths and further maths.

Alaric.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.