Turn on thread page Beta

who are the thickest people you know who got into oxbridge? (GCSE/AS GRADES) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    You'll find that many of us on the forum who got offers from Oxbridge did not have the supposedly 'conventional' grades and would never suggest the need for them!
    I agree- Despite my previous "angry" comment, I've so far found that there are plenty of nice people here who have applied to Oxbridge and don't see it as exclusive property for those who have a perfect score sheet... so we're not all "50 grade A* evangelists"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    You'll find that many of us on the forum who got offers from Oxbridge did not have the supposedly 'conventional' grades and would never suggest the need for them!

Yes, read over this thread and you'll see that the majority of people agree that grades aren't everything Chloe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I really liked it too... before I went, I imagined that it would be quite scary- sort of like a mix between Heaven and Harry Potter! The fact that it's actually quite normal, yet still with the Oxford feel, made me like it even more. Did you see the library? I looooved the library.

One of the English teachers gave me an old Oxford handbook that belonged to one of their friends, and I read through all the profiles of the colleges, and I'm not being biased when I say that it gave Somerville the best description of them all.. to paraphrase what I remember: "Most Somervillians really love their college, and it's easy to see why" "Somerville seems to attract a certain type of easygoing, unpretentious applicant", etc etc.

Was Somerville your first choice? It was mine, although I chose quite randomly.. but I consider myself lucky
    Yea, it was my first choice. Lots of people go there on open applications though. I agree with you. Whats so good about Somerville is that although you still get the same level of Oxford teaching, you actually get normal people there. Whats your offer? - I need to get 3As. When did you go for interview, we might have been there at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Yes, read over this thread and you'll see that the majority of people agree that grades aren't everything Chloe.
    I have read the thread and was agreeing with the majority but referring to the minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Yea, it was my first choice. Lots of people go there on open applications though. I agree with you. Whats so good about Somerville is that although you still get the same level of Oxford teaching, you actually get normal people there. Whats your offer? - I need to get 3As. When did you go for interview, we might have been there at the same time.
    I need AAA too :-/ That's the worst thing about Somerville, I heard that a Cambridge college gives "easy offers" sometimes, so why can't ours? LOL. I was there Monday 8th til about 3pm on Tuesday, because no other colleges seemed to want to interview any English people! Not that I wanted to have another interview, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I need AAA too :-/ That's the worst thing about Somerville, I heard that a Cambridge college gives "easy offers" sometimes, so why can't ours? LOL. I was there Monday 8th til about 3pm on Tuesday, because no other colleges seemed to want to interview any English people! Not that I wanted to have another interview, anyway.
    Must have just missed you. I was there from late Tuesday to late Friday - spent ages hanging around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Must have just missed you. I was there from late Tuesday to late Friday - spent ages hanging around!
    If I had hung around, then I'd probably have seen you! My bus home was very late, so I watched people who'd obviously come for their interviews coming off the train (as the bus stop I have to go to is outside the train station) and thought "hahah, I know what you're in for". I was really sad to go, because I knew that the laws of probability said that I most likely wouldn't be back.. that's why I was really happy and surprised! Just need to make the offer now! If we both make our offers, we might even meet IRL and never know that we've talked before! That's a funny thought...

ReputationRep:
    If I had hung around, then I'd probably have seen you! My bus home was very late, so I watched people who'd obviously come for their interviews coming off the train (as the bus stop I have to go to is outside the train station) and thought "hahah, I know what you're in for". I was really sad to go, because I knew that the laws of probability said that I most likely wouldn't be back.. that's why I was really happy and surprised! Just need to make the offer now! If we both make our offers, we might even meet IRL and never know that we've talked before! That's a funny thought...
    Yea, I know, We probably will meet each other! Just need to make sure we both meet the grades. Whats the library like, I have been inside, I can't remember what its like though.

ReputationRep:
    I have a C in Religous Education Short Course GCSE.

I also hold an Oxford offer.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stewie)
    I don't have the "right" to an Oxbridge place, I felt as if I earned it for all the service I did at school, for working hard at my exams to get the A's and A*s, for three years worth of reading and study around the subject and making sacrifices on most weekends and evenings to study, for keeping a bulging binder filled with articles I cut out from newspapers and magazines on the subject out of interest and for taking the time out to do an extra GCSE in Ancient Greek so that I wouldn't have to struggle to learn it in the first year of my degree. I think that was a lot more than many other candidates who were accepted; when I went to Edinburgh to meet a professor, he offered me a place on the spot. How much of a work ethic can someone have if they spend every evening in the pub and hardly reads the newspaper let along a book? Could they really get a first for their college? This candidate I speak of couldn't even justify his philosophical position of God (although Keith Ward did in the last chapter of "God: A Guide For The Perplexed"), but blindly came out with the statement and mentioned nothing of Kant, etc.

"Cos', yeah, right.....I'm an atheist, cos' I'm rational about it..."

I learned a lot from this whole Oxbridge experience, and there are people in Oxbridge who don't know who Kant is, never mind Kantians. I honestly beleive I have a passion for my subject no-one can ever take away from me or tell me I don't have, with a work ethic and grades to prove it, and at the end of the days isn't that all Oxbridge asks? I don't think I could have done anything more to have shown this. The people who really shouldn't be in Oxbridge will probably not make their offers or will fail the first year exams, though there are few of them who do. I will re-apply because I know I was robbed and was more than suited to the course (I wrote to some DOS and got a really nice reply from Clare telling me this) and am just looking forward to having the best gap year ever....this rejection this time around could possibly be the best thing that has ever happened as as soon as I collect my A-Levels (I'm predicted 3A's), I can have a glorious extended holiday as well as earning some money...alsmost everyone else will be chucked back into the education system again! There was a girl from my school who was an excellent Theology candidate who got rejected from Newnham and got it when re-applying; I know I should do this to because Oxbridge will be missing out on a candidate as passionate and committed as me.

you sound like a strong candidate for oxbridge. just remember, an oxbridge generalisation, whatever you have done, somebody else can easily surpass. grades, achievements, extra curriculur... there are some amazing people here. i was in college to help look after interviewees at the end of last term, and having seen the list of candidates who gained places in the end, they were the unpretentious ones who had a real willingness to learn, and didn't go into the interviews with the attitude that nobody else was worth the place they were applying for. above grades, this is what's really really important when you're applying for oxbridge - a tutor has to sit in the same room and discuss with you for the next 3-5 years, so s/he will obviously want nice pleasant people, not just people with an iq of 175 and AAAAA grades. it's all about how you come across as a person, not just as a studying hive of enthusiasm!

good luck for when you reapply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I agree with Haz.

me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    i know someone who got in with BBB (AAB offer) simply because they said she was one of the best interview candidates they'd had for years.

interview, interview, interview people! grades *are* irrelevent!
    Surely what course one is applying for matters too? My freind will go to oxford to study Sanskrit and ancient studies if she gets three A's. ut then again ho wmany ppl want to read that at univeristy? Ofcourse interviews do matter as well as grades... but its the course you apply for and the competition to get into that course aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannibal_f)
    you sound like a strong candidate for oxbridge. just remember, an oxbridge generalisation, whatever you have done, somebody else can easily surpass. grades, achievements, extra curriculur... there are some amazing people here. i was in college to help look after interviewees at the end of last term, and having seen the list of candidates who gained places in the end, they were the unpretentious ones who had a real willingness to learn, and didn't go into the interviews with the attitude that nobody else was worth the place they were applying for. above grades, this is what's really really important when you're applying for oxbridge - a tutor has to sit in the same room and discuss with you for the next 3-5 years, so s/he will obviously want nice pleasant people, not just people with an iq of 175 and AAAAA grades. it's all about how you come across as a person, not just as a studying hive of enthusiasm!

good luck for when you reapply
    I think you are absoloutely right. When you look at the people who are at Cambridge or Oxford right know, you will see most of them are down to earth and very friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomek J.)
    I think you are absoloutely right. When you look at the people who are at Cambridge or Oxford right know, you will see most of them are down to earth and very friendly.
    aaahmm...i meant right NOW...sorry... ;-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy B)
    Surely what course one is applying for matters too? My freind will go to oxford to study Sanskrit and ancient studies if she gets three A's. ut then again ho wmany ppl want to read that at univeristy? Ofcourse interviews do matter as well as grades... but its the course you apply for and the competition to get into that course aswell?

I'm studying japanese at the moment, and as such, when I was in college looking after interviewees before Christmas, was in charge of every student in college applying for any branch of oriental studies. in my college, we had about 20 applicants for oriental studies. 4 were accepted.

ok, so some subjects aren't as oversubscribed as others (my sister applied this year for art and there were 156 applications for 18 places uni-wide...) but, for example, at st hilda's in the 2nd year, there are 4 students studying one course for which there are 6 places. none of the 4 originally applied there. it's not just a case of picking a course that lots of people get into, you still have to show the passion and dedication for your course that would make you stand out from the field in any subject!

but ok, it is a lot easier to get in for, say, japanese, than medicine... but those who apply because it's less competetive run into problems when they arrive because just about any course here is ******* hard work, and if you're not really interested in it, it's your bad luck in the end - these people just do the bare minimum work because they aren't interested in it, and finish their degrees with a 2.2 or below.

ReputationRep:
    i got in.

ReputationRep:
    at st hilda's in the 2nd year, there are 4 students studying one course for which there are 6 places.
    I don't think this is true. I certainly know that this year Hilda's has too many undergraduates because almost everyone met their grades.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I don't think this is true. I certainly know that this year Hilda's has too many undergraduates because almost everyone met their grades.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    sorry, just stating what a friend on the course told me. the 6 places on her course in her year aren't all taken!

ReputationRep:
    sorry, just stating what a friend on the course told me. the 6 places on her course in her year aren't all taken!
    Maybe people dropped out or didn't meet the grades, but it's still very competitive and it's not fair to argue that it isn't.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Maybe people dropped out or didn't meet the grades, but it's still very competitive and it's not fair to argue that it isn't.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Is Theology and Philosophy at St. Hilda's any more competitive than, say, Law at Balliol?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.