Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I thought it may be because i got a B at AS History, because 6 other people from my school have interviews
    do u do edexcel or ocr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    do u do edexcel or ocr?
    i dont get this prediction thing, if you get B at AS, then how can you get predicted A AT A2? the leap from as to a2 is big, and people do well to get the same grade at a2 as AS, many get one lower.

so how can u get this A prediction? makes zero sense

ReputationRep:
    Ms Grice politics teacher was on about how some guy from WOodhouse got rejected with 4As's grade A onto LSE for political science courses (not sure which 1) she goes they look at international applications more coz theyre about pure money whereas UK applicants all pay the same standard fee...
    Political science at LSE is going to be hideously competitive. 4 A’s certainly wouldn’t guarantee you anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Political science at LSE is going to be hideously competitive. 4 A’s certainly wouldn’t guarantee you anything.
    wot would then? (not bein rude just wanna know cos u look informed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_123)
    i dont get this prediction thing, if you get B at AS, then how can you get predicted A AT A2? the leap from as to a2 is big, and people do well to get the same grade at a2 as AS, many get one lower.

so how can u get this A prediction? makes zero sense
    I do Edexcel, I got a B because I cacked up the Votes for Women paper and got a C. I find it offensive for you to suggest just because I mucked up one paper that I can't go on to get an A at A-level because it depends on so much more than what you got for AS. Ever heard of re-takes?

ReputationRep:
    I do Edexcel, I got a B because I cacked up the Votes for Women paper and got a C. I find it offensive for you to suggest just because I mucked up one paper that I can't go on to get an A at A-level because it depends on so much more than what you got for AS. Ever heard of re-takes?
    Oh and actually I think the official line is that you are meant to move up a grade from AS to A2 because you can retake and you have a more mature understanding of the subject by this point.

ReputationRep:
    wot would then? (not bein rude just wanna know cos u look informed)
    No grades would guarantee you a place on the course on their own. As the course is so popular and, things such as the personal statement and the referee’s reference become much more important. The admissions people would be looking for any little thing that they could use to differentiate between two candidates. I suppose, at the end of the day, a lot comes down to look as the admissions staff have to make value judgments based on limited information as to who they think would be best suited for the course.

ReputationRep:
    I got all As for my AS LEVELS but could not get into cambridge. My place went someone else. My school said i would get in everyone was sure that I was in. I have be told that I will get two A and a B. Its not fair but that life.

ReputationRep:
    My personal statement was very good one of the best in the year. Ihave played for my school, Football, Rugby and rowed. So why was I turn away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    My personal statement was very good one of the best in the year. Ihave played for my school, Football, Rugby and rowed. So why was I turn away
    Because the tutor’s decided that you weren’t as likely to succeed on the course as some of the other applicants…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    I thought that about mine too, but i did spot a missing "a" in it just now, could that have cost me a place?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that about mine too, but i did spot a missing "a" in it just now, could that have cost me a place?
    Well if you said that you were proud to be working at an AE standard for History, and you lost the 'A' from AE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Would peeps like to take their time to vent out any anger at those universities who made a grave error in not offering them a place.....
    Yeah, York University! They just don't appreciate my brilliance...though do have offers from Exeter and Reading so far, so don't have to worry.
    I think its because I have unusual qualifications: 2 A levels and double award AVCE Art (vocational).
    Anyone got any advice for passing English interviews at Oxford? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qualcuno)
    Well if you said that you were proud to be working at an AE standard for History, and you lost the 'A' from AE...
    No I was talking about netball at league level or something. Ahh another extension awarder?

ReputationRep:
    No I was talking about netball at league level or something. Ahh another extension awarder?
    I don’t think the level you play netball at would make much difference to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    No the point was that I made a grammatical error i.e. missed out an "a"

ReputationRep:
    My marks were very good for History. I was Captain for my school for all the major sports. You name it I have done it for my school. My life was based on going to cambridge from the age of 13. Iam upset but looking forward to going to Durham

ReputationRep:
    It’s just one typo... :\

ReputationRep:
    nah, they wouldn't be that fussy... might if you were applying for English maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I don’t think the level you play netball at would make much difference to be honest.

Though, the thing is, they somewhat expect to have people profess excellence at a range of extra-curricular activities...i went to a Kings Open Day last year and the tutor there mentioned in essence their procedure: 1) Predictions 2) Reference 3) AS results 4) Personal statement/GCSEs. You have to pass each stage...in that order (yet not strictly). By far, the teacher's section is very important, but the coin changes if you are offered interviews.....

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.