Arete
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've read a few topics about people doing self-taught Highers in sixth year, but no one doing them in fifth year seemingly.

I've chosen my Highers for next year and will be starting back on the Friday of this week since all the Standard Grade exams are finished. I'll be doing five Highers (English, French, History, Modern Studies and Classical Studies) and I wanted to do RMPS before choosing Classical Studies (which I'm happy about) but couldn't because the columns didn't work properly.

But I really enjoy RMPS and don't find it very difficult because I debate often and read quite a few articles on the subjects discussed in RMPS - and have an interest in religion and philosophy in general. Therefore, I want to do RMPS at Higher but it's impossible to do within my own school due to the aforementioned timetable constraints.

So, I want to know where I would get the materials required to teach myself RMPS at Higher? I think I'm definitely dedicated enough to achieve a very good grade and I'm equally comfortable with my other subjects. But, would people say this is a good idea? Six Highers?

And how would I go about arranging to be an "external candidate", sitting my NABs at a centre nearby? Should I just phone them and ask about it, and which colleges might offer them? My nearest one doesn't seem to. When would I do the NABs? After school, or at weekends? I'm busy with school all day, so it'd be impossible on weekdays. Or is it too late to even do it now?

Lots of questions, but thanks for the help!
Spider Pig
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was actually in this position too at the start of fifth year, as my columns didnt work. I asked my RMPS teacher if I could self-study it but she said it would be too difficult as you need a teacher to explain the concepts and things, so I dont know if its the best subject to try and self study.

However, I ended up self studying Higher Politics this year (fifth) and if you have an interest in it (which I assume you do from taking Mod Studs) it is a great subject to take. The essays are fairly straightforward (in comparison to English and History) and most of the course is really quite simple.

I studied it with Telford College in Edinburgh, who sent all my course booklets and stuff up to my school (I live in the northeast) and they are very helpful.

https://courses.ed-coll.ac.uk/websit...&ref=CSSE/HPOL

I recommend you take Politics because it doesn't add too much to your workload, one only essay every few weeks.

I looked but it doesn't seem like Telford do RMPS but I may be wrong.
forgottenpanda
Report 10 years ago
I don't have any experience with self-taught highers, but I'd say wait and do it in sixth year if it's something you really want to do. Doing five highers is hard enough as it is without adding more to it, especially when you don't have a teacher, and I wouldn't want to risk not doing as well in the other highers. If you leave it until sixth year, even if you still do it as a self taught subject it won't really matter how you do (provided you get good enough grades for uni/whatever this year) and it'll be less pressure on you.

Also from what I've heard, RMPS is a complete b*tch of a higher to do. I didn't do it, but I did History and I heard that the essays for RMPS were even worse. I had a lot of friends who were good at it during Standard Grade and then only just managed to pass it at Higher. If you were going to do it, would one of the teachers be prepared to mark past papers for you?

Edit: By timetable constraints, I'm guessing you mean one of your other subjects clashes with RMPS? If you were going to do it, wouldn't you be able to sit the NABS and the exam at your school (eg. during lunch time)?
pamelaa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did it this year, I don't think it'd be hard to self study though. Very good subject
Arete
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by forgottenpanda)
I don't have any experience with self-taught highers, but I'd say wait and do it in sixth year if it's something you really want to do. Doing five highers is hard enough as it is without adding more to it, especially when you don't have a teacher, and I wouldn't want to risk not doing as well in the other highers. If you leave it until sixth year, even if you still do it as a self taught subject it won't really matter how you do (provided you get good enough grades for uni/whatever this year) and it'll be less pressure on you.

Also from what I've heard, RMPS is a complete b*tch of a higher to do. I didn't do it, but I did History and I heard that the essays for RMPS were even worse. I had a lot of friends who were good at it during Standard Grade and then only just managed to pass it at Higher. If you were going to do it, would one of the teachers be prepared to mark past papers for you?

Edit: By timetable constraints, I'm guessing you mean one of your other subjects clashes with RMPS? If you were going to do it, wouldn't you be able to sit the NABS and the exam at your school (eg. during lunch time)?
I'm planning on applying to quite a few universities in England, so I'm aiming to do as well as I can for Higher and Advanced Higher - so no relaxing for sixth year haha.

And yeah, it clashes with other subjects I'm doing. But sitting it during lunchtime is quite a good idea, thanks. Taking it in sixth year is still always an option if all else fails, though, I'm sure.

(Original post by Spider Pig)
I was actually in this position too at the start of fifth year, as my columns didnt work. I asked my RMPS teacher if I could self-study it but she said it would be too difficult as you need a teacher to explain the concepts and things, so I dont know if its the best subject to try and self study.

However, I ended up self studying Higher Politics this year (fifth) and if you have an interest in it (which I assume you do from taking Mod Studs) it is a great subject to take. The essays are fairly straightforward (in comparison to English and History) and most of the course is really quite simple.

I studied it with Telford College in Edinburgh, who sent all my course booklets and stuff up to my school (I live in the northeast) and they are very helpful.

I recommend you take Politics because it doesn't add too much to your workload, one only essay every few weeks.

I looked but it doesn't seem like Telford do RMPS but I may be wrong.
I'd imagine Politics and Modern Studies would be very similar, so I'd feel taking it would be slightly redundant.
Spider Pig
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arete)
I'd imagine Politics and Modern Studies would be very similar, so I'd feel taking it would be slightly redundant.
Not really. There's cross-over between the two with all the voting stuff but thats about it.
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A girl at my school did 5 highers in school and self taught herself higher modern studies- she got 6 As too :woo:
Kirstin85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I self taught myself higher history when I was in fifth year. Did it for the same reason that most people do, I was also doing 3 sciences and the columns just didn't work out for me to do history as well....I just sat in the history base and went through the course myself, found it pretty straightforward but it did help that the history teachers at my school were really cool and supportive and did help me out a lot! It was definitely worth doing as I really enjoyed the course and ended up with an A!
bex285
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Can I ask how this works? Think this would be quite useful for me but not too sure of the logistics of it. Does your school need to be involved with the college? And how much does it cost?
Sorry for being annoying :p:
Kris91
Report 10 years ago
I don't know anyone who's done this but heard of people doing it at other schools. People at my school aren't really encouraged to excel beyond the 5 highers mark to be honest :P
Xeraii
Report 10 years ago
Doing six Highers isn't that bad, and there's no real reason why you shouldn't. If you can get As/Bs in five Highers you can do the same for six.

There are plently of resources available for self-study, you may want to check out Joe Walker's texts - Morality in the Modern World and Belief and Science. While expensive, it may also be worth buying the teacher's copy of the text as well in order to provide yourself with a deeper understanding of the underlying learning concepts since that isn't something you'll automatically be exposed to.

In self-teaching a subject, especially one in the "humanities" area such as RMPS, the biggest challenge is knowing what to study and what not to. Without the experience of a teacher telling you what is likely to be asked in an exam and what textbooks and sections to focus on while studying you're left usually to reference the arrangements document and read generally.

That's what I'd advise to be honest. For a subject like RMPS there's nothing better than broad knowledge of the subject that can be tied into your answers to demonstrate a proper interest of the material.

Keep it in context though, and make sure you speak to the RMPS department in your school regarding specifically what material you must know.

Also, applying to a centre as an external candidate is wholly unnecessary unless your school are a bunch of royal pricks. I'd try first to see if they're willing to acknowledge that you'll do the teaching part yourself and then present you as a candidate for the subject (based upon good prelim results).

The only reason they wouldn't agree to this is because they're concerned you wouldn't cope or manage by yourself, ultimately resulting in their league table ranking dropping half a percentile or something.

In which case, yes, they are royal pricks, but most schools are. :p:
gee:bee
Report 10 years ago
sit your 5 highers, do it in fifth year. you have no concept of the difference between 5 and 6 highers.
Spider Pig
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bex285)
Can I ask how this works? Think this would be quite useful for me but not too sure of the logistics of it. Does your school need to be involved with the college? And how much does it cost?
Sorry for being annoying :p:
Sorry for replying late

There needs to be someone at your school (I had my guidance teacher do it) who gets all the materials sent to them, and they also sort out when you do your nabs.

I didnt have to pay anything, the school either paid for it or the college didnt actually charge any money, I don't remember. But its basically free for you.

In my experience it all worked very smoothly; having the work booklets and Nabs sent to me via my guidance teacher was easy and the college is quick to return marked essays and assessments.
bex285
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry for replying late

There needs to be someone at your school (I had my guidance teacher do it) who gets all the materials sent to them, and they also sort out when you do your nabs.

I didnt have to pay anything, the school either paid for it or the college didnt actually charge any money, I don't remember. But its basically free for you.

In my experience it all worked very smoothly; having the work booklets and Nabs sent to me via my guidance teacher was easy and the college is quick to return marked essays and assessments.
It's cool, thanks for replying at all! :p:

Thanks a lot, that sounds like it could be really good actually.
seventy_times_7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I self taught myself Classics, which if your school is one of the few that offer this higher, do it!!! It's really good and really interesting although everyone who did it was like "OH MY GOD!! THREE ESSAYS IN ONE EXAM?!" haha. Now we're all at uni sitting 4, yes FOUR, full length law essays in 3 hours. Fun times. :P
TKS1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there, just wondering how did the girl sit her nabs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads