Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an AA offer in the post from Manchester, (it hasn't appeared on ucas yet):

A in maths
    A in either history or religious studies

for Maths and Philosophy

I was in the understanding that their standard was ABB... so this offer seems to show that they do not want me

However, the letter says in handwritting at the bottom "enjoyed the conversation with you," refering to the interview I had on Thursday.

What am I to infer from this offer? it seems a little strange given that I was expecting the standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I got an AA offer in the post from Manchester, (it hasn't appeared on ucas yet):

A in maths

for Maths and Philosophy

I was in the understanding that their standard was ABB... so this offer seems to show that they do not want me

However, the letter says in handwritting at the bottom "enjoyed the conversation with you," refering to the interview I had on Thursday.

What am I to infer from this offer? it seems a little strange given that I was expecting the standard.
    Manchester is highly competative and I understand that when this is the case they can pretty much offer what they want and still get the cndidates.

ReputationRep:
    umm my offer from nottingham has just specified the grades-they want AAB which i thought was pretty weird because it only says ABB in the prospectus! never mind!

ReputationRep:
    The standard offer at Liverpool for English was BBB, but I got a letter saying that this year the standard offer had gone up to ABB and that one of the Bs could include General Studies (which I didn't think they accepted) A week after I received the letter I got an offer from them: ABB.
    I think since a lot of Unis have scored well in certain departments (like the OFSTED things they have in schools but not quite!) they have just put their standard offer up because they're earning better reputations.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, applications for maths have gone up by 30% this year at Manchester so they can probably demand higher grades.

I just thought it was strange getting an offer based to two A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, applications for maths have gone up by 30% this year at Manchester so they can probably demand higher grades.

Surely it just shows that you really impressed tham and they clearly want to take you!! You only need two A-levels to get in - that must tell you something!

ReputationRep:
    I got that too Mike. A in Maths and one other.

ReputationRep:

A in maths

for Maths and Philosophy

I got an offer for the uni i'm going to next year for AA. For some reason I doubt I would't have been given this offer unless I played rugby which makers you think.

ReputationRep:

I think it's an easier offer to meet than ABB. It still requires you to get an A in Maths. It takes some of the pressure off by not demanding a third grade. But it goes some way to ensuring you achieve well by asking for a second A.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.