wilsoncwc
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I am choosing GCSE's and have put german down as a certain. People are saying the 2 year course is very hard? Just want views and experience from people who have done it.

Thanks
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes it is, but I don't regret having done it. Even if I could have done better in another subject, which I probably couldn't.
keepa7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did French and German and found German much harder (could be cos my teacher was ****). Still managed to scrape my A*
ClaireHogben
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got 10A*s and an A at GCSE. The A was in German
beckylou12
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
german is harder than french....only people who take both will appreciate that. but german isnt too hard. bit boring at times if you ask mee
acm345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it was so fun you will never feel it click until the gcse period and so will find it quite hard but i am doing gcse now and i find it far more satisfying than french was even though i was better at french. It is easier to form a sentence at all at the end of the course because of all the rules so you will find it hard to begin with.
thedrummer123
Report 11 years ago
I should get 9 A/A* at GCSE and a C in German. I deeply regret taking it. If your good at it now and you really enjoy it take it, but if you dont be prepared for a lot of work!
imbo67
Report 11 years ago
haha personally i find german 10x easier than french. Predicted A in german whereas a C in french.
louboutin*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got an A in my GCSE German two years ago, I would say yes it is hard but no harder than any other language. I'm quite surprised people say German is harder than French because I chose not to take french GCSE as i found it really complicated in year 9:p: I found that with German the words were easier to pronounce and the different tenses were easier to understand. Definitely not the most intersting subject in the world but I think a language at GCSE is a good thing to have
Tilly87
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i went for german over french. i used to do pretty well in it and i think i would have got an A* if my teacher had been better because i generally remember vocab quite well. i think i've flunked my listening bigstyle, reading on friday i wouldn't say it was a hard language, but if you know you'll have a bad teacher and you won't be prepared to really work for it yourself, don't bother! :P but i don't regret taking it over french.
diskohuelga
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I took German GCSE because my teacher said I would do well in it and it is an easy GCSE in the bag. I'm a German national, so no, it's not hard.
theoldnurse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally I thought it was much easier than French, and not too difficult in its own right.
Kuriso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by diskohuelga)
Well, I took German GCSE because my teacher said I would do well in it and it is an easy GCSE in the bag. I'm a German national, so no, it's not hard.
The bit in bold happened to me, turns out its not, especially if like me you aren't good with languages.
Ooo'Yeah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It is quite a hard subject to grasp, don't think it's an easy GCSE to get coz it's really not! You have to be quite a fast learner and understand tenses quickly. But if you work hard and really want to do well, then go for it
Abnegation
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I took German instead of French because I found it far less complicated, and I really don't regret that at all. I certainly don't think it was any more difficult than other subjects at GCSE.
sheldonite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally I disagree - I find German a lot easier than other languages due to the similarities with English.

I did Spanish, German and Italian and German was my easiest by far.
wilsoncwc
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
French is compulsory at my school and i am doing geography, history and classical civilisation. Maybe I should do seperate but my teacher said I should do it. We were doing basic German so i'm wondering if the step up is far.
Izzen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In short, no. All modern foreign languages are ridiculously easy at GCSE level.
nokindwords
Report 11 years ago
I hated German at the end of Year 9 because I found it incredibly difficult and to be honest wasn't that bothered (put it down as the 4th best option out of 4)
Now at the end of Year 11, having completed my GCSE, it's right up there with French and one of my dead cert's for A Level.

(Original post by acm345)
it was so fun you will never feel it click until the gcse period and so will find it quite hard but i am doing gcse now and i find it far more satisfying than french was even though i was better at french. It is easier to form a sentence at all at the end of the course because of all the rules so you will find it hard to begin with.
Like it's said here, I didn't really think German was worthwhile but it all came together and did click, just make the most of it.
connor6892
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think it was particularly more difficult, but I'd came from a French fast track class. I can certainly say I found and still do find french easier, but once you get into German it really is fine. You learn quite a lot over two years with any language. I'm predicted an A*, felt for a while like I wouldn't get it but now 75% of its over and I only have reading I'm feeling pretty confident. It's certainly nothing to be scared of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads