Turn on thread page Beta

Just not playing the same game watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but... I just dont agree with folk getting extra time in public examinations. Pah righto I will be enquiring about extra time for a gammy hamstring. Seriously though everone should play by the same rules. Yeah?

ReputationRep:
    Ah the whole.. My Goldfish died.. So i get 1% extra on my exam thing.. It is.. Interesting. But I Do think for instance if there has been a prevailing tragedy Recently such as death of a family member then they shoiuld get some compensation.. But a pet death, Im not so sure. Depends really.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it depends. It's difficult to assess who actually needs the extra time. I know people who are dyslexic, mildly, but can write pretty fast and their spelling is not too bad and their writing legible, but who get a substantial amount of extra time. This doesn't seem too fair (especially if they're clever and we're being competitive :p:). But some people genuinely do need it - it's not a level playing field if some people are at a disadvantage from the start. I suppose it's hard to decide exactly how much time to give someone to make it fair. I'm glad it's not my job to decide.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that too. But theres the thing that you get 10% longer in an exam if you have got learning difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Ah the whole.. My Goldfish died.. So i get 1% extra on my exam thing.. It is.. Interesting. But I Do think for instance if there has been a prevailing tragedy Recently such as death of a family member then they shoiuld get some compensation.. But a pet death, Im not so sure. Depends really.
    Yeah, it's a strange system. If I had a beloved dog who had raised me as his own puppy, and I loved it like a parent, and it died on the day of my exam, some compensation would be nice. If I had a hamster that I didn't look after so it died because I let it fester in dirty sawdust, then maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    It does appear that we are disadvantaged by bureaucracy because of our ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Ah the whole.. My Goldfish died.. So i get 1% extra on my exam thing.. It is.. Interesting.
    2% for a pet :rolleyes:

I've just gone and bought 10 goldfish :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wagon)
    Hmm, it depends. It's difficult to assess who actually needs the extra time. I know people who are dyslexic, mildly, but can write pretty fast and their spelling is not too bad and their writing legible, but who get a substantial amount of extra time. This doesn't seem too fair (especially if they're clever and we're being competitive :p:). But some people genuinely do need it - it's not a level playing field if some people are at a disadvantage from the start. I suppose it's hard to decide exactly how much time to give someone to make it fair. I'm glad it's not my job to decide.
    It is hard to decide, I think its a grea system though, As a member of my family has just found out hes dyslexic and its a real godsend to him for how hes been struggling to finish exams in time etc.. It will really benefit him now on.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive my poor use of biology but the hamstring is in the leg isn't it? I don't think that should get extra time because when do you need to use your leg in a written exam. If it hurts, take pain killers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah234)
    Forgive my poor use of biology but the hamstring is in the leg isn't it? I don't think that should get extra time because when do you need to use your leg in a written exam. If it hurts, take pain killers!
    booooooo!

ReputationRep:
    But the pain killers will reduce the capacity of the brain to feel the pain in the hand when copious amounts of writing have taken place.

And therefore the quality of handwriting will deteriorate as the hand slowly implodes

ReputationRep:
    I might get boooed here ...but why should the playing field be made level? In reality the field never is.

ReputationRep:
    Extra time? They do that now? What a sack of ****.

If one has a good reason to have failed an exam then an appeal should be made after the fact, backed up with sufficient evidence.
    Dead pets are not a good excuse. Not much is, short of the death of the pupil...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    2% for a pet :rolleyes:

I've just gone and bought 10 goldfish :rolleyes:

Wow how much did that cost you??

must of been about £5??

'' $10 '' in america!!

I love America!! Expet for 1 thing!!

ReputationRep:
    hang on - i thought the extra time was for ppl who were dyslexic and stuff - can you get extra time for a bleedin' pet dying??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Screw extra time, screw appeals. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    Sorry but... I just dont agree with folk getting extra time in public examinations. Pah righto I will be enquiring about extra time for a gammy hamstring. Seriously though everone should play by the same rules. Yeah?
    I think its silly and political correctness gone mad..unless its a temporary hand injury, thats really bad.... its a market out there, in the real world, so whats the point in people's abilities being recorded as better than they would be when they get a job?

ReputationRep:
    Don't they have resits down there?

ReputationRep:
    I mite be wrong, but don't they give you 5% if a parent dies on the day of the exam... i mean omg, they still expect you to do the exam and only give you 5%... they have to be kidding right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I think its silly and political correctness gone mad..unless its a temporary hand injury, thats really bad.... its a market out there, in the real world, so whats the point in people's abilities being recorded as better than they would be when they get a job?
    good point

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.