Gold Duke of Ed Residential - IDEAS please!!

Watch
scarfcase
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Howdey'all,

I'm looking for good ideas for my gold residential. I'm hoping to do it this summer. I don't want to spend much more than £100 but if anyone knows of anything good that's a bit more expensive let me know anyway! Obviously a free venture would be amazing...

Thanks team,

SC
Jamie Innes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's nice to see a fellow DofEr on TSR. I'm not sure what to suggest. For Gold, a group in my school went off to Newzealand for a month and stayed in a Maori (I think that's how it's spelt). Brilliant time.
I know alot of people do something in the Lake District for Gold. I hope my lack of help has been unbeneficial.
The_Gene_Genie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by scarfcase)
Howdey'all,

I'm looking for good ideas for my gold residential. I'm hoping to do it this summer. I don't want to spend much more than £100 but if anyone knows of anything good that's a bit more expensive let me know anyway! Obviously a free venture would be amazing...

Thanks team,

SC
The RNLI run a D of E residential course; you basically spend the week driving round on lifeboats. I think it's free, look on their site to check.
scarfcase
(Original post by The_Gene_Genie)
The RNLI run a D of E residential course; you basically spend the week driving round on lifeboats. I think it's free, look on their site to check.
Ahh would've been good if I could swim!! Thanks though.
The_Gene_Genie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think St John's Ambulance do one as well, not sure though.
InvoluntarySlacker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go to Wales, walk that mileage.
Farmboy_Pip
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
come to the isle of man! only £46 return on the boat from liverpool!
Farmboy_Pip
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
actually, i take that back. the isle of man is gash!
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Gold D of E!
I did medisix (basically medlink), but unless you want to be a doctor that's probably not very helpful.

A few of my friends are going on a cookery course though?
Or what would be good, is if you got involved with a charity such as CHICKS, who provide country holidays for poor city children? They're always looking for volunteers for a week or two in the summer
cantstop-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've an idea.. Don't do DoE!

Unless you enjoy it, of course. I gave up after Silver.. :redface:
GdotL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Check out this ****:

France/UK Gold Photography Arts Residential Project

Monday 3rd August - Friday 14th August, 2009
London (UK) & Peret (France)

With the kind support of The British Council and the LeFevre Trust, we can now offer this unique two week Residential Opportunity for just £180pp! It is open to Gold Participants and fulfils the Residential Section of the Gold DofE. Successful UK applicants will spend the first 5 Days in London working on a programme of Arts & Photography based at a top London Gallery and alongside professional artists, along with urban exploration and practical workshops. Upon returning to the South of France, all participants will have an opportunity to develop their new skills and exhibit their work as part of their own exhibition in the beautiful town of Peret.
Visit our French Partner Gallery website for more information. <http://www.anpq.org/>

UK Participants will be accommodated in France and all expenses and travel are included in the price. In the UK, Participants can stay at home and travel in to activities. On UK based days, lunch and travel expenses will be provided. There will be no requirement to host visiting students at home.

The UK activities will There are still some places left, but they won't last long! Cost: £180 pp

Further details are available on our website, here. http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/L...ntial_Opportun

peace out
xxx G
GdotL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Extra info:

FAQ:

How many places are there?
We are looking for 20 Participants (10 from the UK, 10 from France). Places are going fast, so please apply soon!

Will I be staying at a strangers house or is a stranger expected to stay at my house?
No, during the UK visit, UK participants will stay at home and travel to activities, whilst the French participants will stay at a hostel. For the week in France, we will accommodate the UK visitors in sole use villas. When we say "hosting", we simply mean that the UK based participants will be expected to take the lead in introducing the visitors to London.

How can I secure a place?
Email [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> with the attached booking form fully completed. Places will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis, although we will only issue a request for payment once the project is full. The full cost is just £180, which includes all travel, accommodation and expenses in France! For the UK branch of the project, participants should be based at home, although we will fund your travel into the city each day for activities and provide lunch & subsistence.

Can I undertake the Residential with a friend?
A Gold Residential Project should be undertaken with a majority group of people unfamiliar to the participant. For this project up to 3 people may apply together.

Where can I get more information?
Visit our website here http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/L...ntial_Opportun , Email [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> or call 0207 227 9820 during Office Hours and ask to speak to Mat or Lucy.

G
cantstop-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh and on the serious note, people I know are doing things in activity centres, places like that (Ardnabannon, Lisnaskea Share Centre - I'm guessing nobody knows these places because nobody lives in NI ha)
Nex Angelus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i did an amazing one for my gold award. a place in wales which pretty much just did outdoor activites and team games, it was soo fun and met loads of people. much better than all these ''oh yes! come and build a wall for a week!'' .... erm or not! mine was in wales, took a while getting there seen as how im from leeds but it was worth it!
Beccajh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Check out Jubilee Sailing Trust, that's what I'm doing for mine. It's tall ship sailing which sounds awesome. If you do Youth Leadership at Sea then you get a £300 discount if you can write a decent statement, so it doesn't work out to be too expensive.
I'm not sure of the website, it'll come up if you google it. Possibly www.jst.org.uk
gillsfan36
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by scarfcase)
Howdey'all,

Thanks team,

SC
I did mine at Skylarks, a Vitalise Centre (respite care home) in Nottingham for a week last year. All accommodation and food is included and they also pay up to something like £50 for travel expenses.

I had a great week, and in fact still visit when I can

Good Luck!
scarfcase
Thanks for the great ideas, folks! Definitely will be able to find something soon!
imfailingbadly
Report 12 years ago
i don't have my DOFE RECORD BOOK as my assesor still has it, and i'm going on my residential on Monday, just wondering what it says on the pages about residential...what do i have to fill out etc?! Diary...? Please help
gillsfan36
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just wondering what it says on the pages about residential...what do i have to fill out etc?
It says:
Project Chosen
Date Started
Date Completed
Initial briefing given by
Qualification gained (where relevant)
Assessor's report on briefing, progress and review
Assessor's name, position/qualifation, signature, date
Participant's comments, signature and date

That's all that's written in the record book I have.
nicinoonar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Gene_Genie)
Do you know if they still run these? This is the webpage that I have found but it doesn't mention a residential? Thanks

http://www.rnli.org.uk/Shorething/Ad...E/Default.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads