Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, I had great trouble writing my personal statements (both times!), so I thought I would post mine here in the hope it might help someone in the future. It's by no means excellent, and I accept that. But I did get 6 unconditional offers off the back of it, so that just goes to show that they put less weighting on the personal statement than the colleges say! This dosen't require any feedback, I just want to be helpful Only thing I've deleted is the town my college is in. And I don't really know why...

----------

I have spent the last five months studying for a joint honours degree in Mathematics and Psychology at Keele University. Although I feel that I have adapted well to university life, I have struggled to acclimatize to the rural nature of the university and feel I would be happier, and therefore more focused, at a city university.

While I am enjoying most aspects of my course, I am finding it difficult to be interested in some less method-based modules in Maths, and feel that this is contributing towards my discontent at the moment. I am, however, finding Psychology at degree level to be very interesting. I especially enjoy Biological and Social Psychology, and feel that this fits in well with the study of Businesses and Management. In particular, Human Resource Management interests me especially - although the study of Accounting and Finances appeal to the mathematical part of me.

I feel that I have adapted well to the university style of more independent learning and I think that this is shown in my results for the first semester, where I achieved above average marks in all modules. In addition, I have become used to living independently and, therefore, will have no trouble with moving away from home in September. In the time between leaving Keele and starting a new course, I intend to work full time in order to boost my finances for the start of next year.

Before Keele, I attended King Edward's College, where I obtained four A Levels. I also completed an AS Level in Computing. Through this course, and my own use of computers, I have gained a sound knowledge of applications and can use computers effectively for, among other things, word processing, producing spreadsheets and internet-based research. These skills, especially the latter, have been further developed whilst at university.

Working part-time whilst at college, and during holidays since September, as a customer service assistant in a department store has helped develop my problem-solving skills. I am often faced with difficult scenarios which require refined communication skills and logical reasoning. I feel that working there has helped me improve these skills and has significantly increased my confidence. Working with a diverse team of individuals has also helped me learn how to communicate successfully with a lot of different people and therefore my ability to work as part of a team has benefited immensely. This has been put into practice at university, as I have had to work as part of a small group to conduct presentations in Psychology and produce solutions to problems in Maths - always with positive outcomes.

At school, I became involved with a Young Person's Advice Centre, which was aimed at helping younger pupils with any problems they may face. Working with a psychiatrist and the school nurse, we tackled subjects including peer pressure and family problems. We did this by talking to pupil's individually in the hope they would be more open to a fellow student, rather than a perceived superior. In addition, we visited many local primary schools to talk to Year 6 students about their fears of attending high school. My time spent as a Youth Advice Counsellor complemented my role as a School Prefect and it was very satisfying to know we were helping students who were struggling. As a prefect, I aided staff to help manage younger students and to organise parents' evening and open days.

Around the same time, I became involved with a local radio station for young people called KIC FM, a Millennium Volunteer project. Whilst working for the station, I learnt how to produce and present radio programmes. I thoroughly enjoyed taking part in KIC and, although the initial training was very time-consuming and began months before broadcast, I feel it was worthwhile.

I feel that all my experiences, and in particular the last year, have helped me become more independent and have equipped me effectively to make a fresh start doing something I enjoy.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.