The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Entry to physics - Glasgow Uni

Sorry creating a new thread here, could nayone help?

I'm wanting to apply for a Physics course at Glasgow for 2010, and this year after done all my exams I reakon i got......

A - Physics
B/C - Geograohy
C - Maths
N/A - Gaidhlic

Next year I'm doing Advanced higher physics, and higher maths (again), Chemistry, and English/Biology probobly the latter.

Would there be any chance I'd get an unconditional?

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
If you get ABC in highers this year, theres absolutely no chance you'll get an unconditional based on three subjects. Entry is in the region of ABBB- but the popularity of Physics and Astronomy at Glasgow means you'll probably need a prediction of higher grades than that to get an offer. They'll probably give you a conditional offer, but I'd expect they'd want at least a B in maths, probably the same in AH physics, and passes in the other two- based on what other students have had in years gone by.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the help, its appreciated!

Would I get an offer if I got a BCC?
Reply 3
Iain333
Thanks for the help, its appreciated!

Would I get an offer if I got a BCC?

I'm not an admissions tutor for Glasgow, and the closest thing to it I've studied is Maths there, but I do know that the Phys/Astro dept are incredibly highly regarded in the UK, certainly in the top half-dozen or so, if you go by pretty much any measure. Therefore entry is pretty tough- lots of people will be applying with five highers, most at A and B. It'd not hurt you to apply, but if they did set you a conditional, it'd mean you'd have to do a lot better than BCC in sixth year, and would probably hinge on your teachers predicting you'd be able to do it.
Reply 4
If you get ABC in three sciences (so as long as you get a B in geography that'd be fine) then there is a chance of an unconditional. They might ask for a B in maths though, since it is quite maths-intensive.
Reply 5
TheOneWho
If you get ABC in three sciences (so as long as you get a B in geography that'd be fine) then there is a chance of an unconditional. They might ask for a B in maths though, since it is quite maths-intensive.

While ABC is technically the minimum (well, BBB in three sciences), Physics/Astro has not entered clearing at Glasgow for a long, long time. Therefore, not wanting to get the OP's hopes up, as its something like 10 applications per place for that (compared to just four for some other Science courses), the chances of getting an uncon with right on the bare minimum of grades, at least going from people who missed their offers and applied through clearing to other courses a couple of years back, is virtually nil. ABBC, if the OP passes Gaelic, has a better shot though.

Latest

Trending

Trending