HISTORIANS-ELIZABETH I's Privy Council Watch

This discussion is closed.
grace1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I've written an essay on the Privy Council. (this is mod 2589)..however i didn't really find that there was a debate, therefore my argument was quite weak in places...

my teacher is useless on Elizabeth I...

basically any historians that relate to the topic of PC and their arguments (conflict or cooperation)(not to be confused with parliament cos in the exam only be only on either on of these two)

thanks
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've just done an essay on the exact same topic - what a coincidence!

My question was "How far do you agree Elizabeth was able to maintain control of her council during her reign?"

Basically, Neale says she isn't in control because of the Dudley/Cecil business, though more modern historians particularly Guy, suggest that she is in control and does everything on her own terms and uses the division to her advantage. Thats the gist of it, you can elaborate it in your essay.
grace1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by zaf1986)
I've just done an essay on the exact same topic - what a coincidence!

My question was "How far do you agree Elizabeth was able to maintain control of her council during her reign?"

Basically, Neale says she isn't in control because of the Dudley/Cecil business, though more modern historians particularly Guy, suggest that she is in control and does everything on her own terms and uses the division to her advantage. Thats the gist of it, you can elaborate it in your essay.
cool thanks:-) that the question i did a while back too...! x
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
NB Neale is somewhat discredited now, so it's probably not a good idea to agree with him overmuch, though mentioning him and his ideas will of course gain you smug, know-it-all git points.
Sian01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wasn't it Guy that said Cecil had more control than Elizabeth, and Doran who disagreed and said that it was Elizabeth who had control?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?