The Student Room Group

(ON TOPIC) 6476 Review (Bassett's Pole)

I've ignored various responses to this up till now, simply due to lack of time: I was marking
the last few GCSE papers before tomorrow's deadline. But as I was asked I'll give my
twopenneth worth....

I thought it was an interesting paper with generally very well written questions. The question about
A or B was very nice - a clever way of getting people to analyse the pros and cons without just
saying that, whilst it led into C, D, E, which meant you could use all the prep. This is a nice
built-in labour saving device - it would have taken longer, and proved little, to ask people to
analyse all 5 sites. These are much better questions: cute marks to Sue Warn there then.

The other questions I felt were probably fair enough - some of the hints came off, others didn't I
guess. The Q on sustainability is one I'm following up with the board - I want to know if it will
always be there or not.

My only real problem with the whole thing was the complexity of the resources which, although they
were generally OK, seemed a little ott in palces - particularly some of the maps. My feeling is that
this wouldn't have been so much of an issue if the exam had bene early - it seems a little harsh to
have the resources for over a month and have shed loads of stuff to do during that time. I don't
know if they can get round the problem: but it might be nice to try at least.

Did anyone have problems with timing, btw?

Oh, and I didn't like the way the overlay didn't fit over the map....

My apologies for using the On Topic tag - I felt it was needed to ensure people saw something that
might be worth reading amongst all the garbage. Anyone else with anything worth reading?

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Reply 1
why u sending this on an a-level newsgroup???

"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I've ignored various responses to this up till now, simply due to lack of time: I was marking the[/q1]
[q1]> last few GCSE papers before tomorrow's deadline. But as I was asked I'll give my twopenneth[/q1]
[q1]> worth....[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I thought it was an interesting paper with generally very well written questions. The question[/q1]
[q1]> about A or B was very nice - a clever way of getting people to analyse the pros and cons without[/q1]
[q1]> just saying that, whilst it led into C, D, E, which meant you could use all the prep. This is a[/q1]
[q1]> nice built-in labour saving device - it would have taken longer, and proved little, to ask people[/q1]
[q1]> to analyse all 5 sites. These are much better questions: cute marks to Sue Warn there then.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The other questions I felt were probably fair enough - some of the hints came off, others didn't I[/q1]
[q1]> guess. The Q on sustainability is one I'm following up with the board - I want to know if it will[/q1]
[q1]> always be there or not.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My only real problem with the whole thing was the complexity of the resources which, although they[/q1]
[q1]> were generally OK, seemed a little ott in palces - particularly some of the maps. My feeling is[/q1]
[q1]> that this wouldn't have been so much of an issue if the exam had bene early - it seems a little[/q1]
[q1]> harsh to have the resources for over a month and have shed loads of stuff to do during that time.[/q1]
[q1]> I don't know if they can get round the problem: but it might be nice to try at least.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Did anyone have problems with timing, btw?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh, and I didn't like the way the overlay didn't fit over the map....[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My apologies for using the On Topic tag - I felt it was needed to ensure people saw something that[/q1]
[q1]> might be worth reading amongst all the garbage. Anyone else with anything worth reading?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ian[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.[/q1]
Reply 2
[q1]> My apologies for using the On Topic tag - I felt it was needed to ensure people saw something that[/q1]
[q1]> might be worth reading amongst all the garbage. Anyone else with anything worth reading?[/q1]

I have Stephen Hawking's new book.

It's pretty and colourful. Only read the first chapter so far though, and one of the pictures seems
wrong. I think either I'm being silly, or it was made to look pretty rather than be correct. The
book seems rather dumbed down, but then as I said I'm only on the first chapter.

Future chapters look better, then maybe I'll be able to tackle A Brief History of Time again and get
a little further through it! :smile:

adam
Reply 3
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:25:03 +0100, "crewzy" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>why u sending this on an a-level newsgroup???[/q1]

Hmmmm. If that's irony it's great - although the only person I know with a whs address should be in
the Minch by now (John: if this is you or James then I hope James you get a hole....).

6476 was one of this years A level papers - should it have been a serious comment at all.

Ian
--

Reply 4
Don't bring that up again! I'd just managed to block all exams from my memory!

David
Reply 5
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:18:15 +0100, "David Mountjoy" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Don't bring that up again! I'd just managed to block all exams from my memory![/q1]

My thoughts were on the same lines!

I'll let you know how it was in August Ian :wink:

Dan
Reply 6
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:23:47 +0100, "smish" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q2]>> My apologies for using the On Topic tag - I felt it was needed to ensure people saw something[/q2]
[q2]>> that might be worth reading amongst all the garbage. Anyone else with anything worth reading?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I have Stephen Hawking's new book.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>It's pretty and colourful. Only read the first chapter so far though, and one of the pictures seems[/q1]
[q1]>wrong. I think either I'm being silly, or it was made to look pretty rather than be correct. The[/q1]
[q1]>book seems rather dumbed down, but then as I said I'm only on the first chapter.[/q1]

Oh, this sort of stuff does funny things to my head - explosive things mainly :-) I just can't even
begin to imagine getting my head around the basics, let alone finding fault with any of it!!

[q1]>Future chapters look better, then maybe I'll be able to tackle A Brief History of Time again and[/q1]
[q1]>get a little further through it! :smile:[/q1]

It was 22:49; it is 22:50; it will (probably) be 22:51. What more do you want to know?

How, btw, is your blender these days? Early reports were good, but has it kept up the good work?

Ian
--

Reply 7
[q2]> >> My apologies for using the On Topic tag - I felt it was needed to ensure people saw something[/q2]
[q2]> >> that might be worth reading amongst all the garbage. Anyone else with anything worth reading?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I have Stephen Hawking's new book.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >It's pretty and colourful. Only read the first chapter so far though,[/q2]
and
[q2]> >one of the pictures seems wrong. I think either I'm being silly, or it[/q2]
was
[q2]> >made to look pretty rather than be correct. The book seems rather dumbed down, but then as I said[/q2]
[q2]> >I'm only on the first chapter.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh, this sort of stuff does funny things to my head - explosive things mainly :-) I just can't[/q1]
[q1]> even begin to imagine getting my head around the basics, let alone finding fault with any of it!![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Future chapters look better, then maybe I'll be able to tackle A Brief History of Time again and[/q2]
[q2]> >get a little further through it! :smile:[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It was 22:49; it is 22:50; it will (probably) be 22:51. What more do you want to know?[/q1]

Well how and why the universe began is kinda interesting :smile:

[q1]> How, btw, is your blender these days? Early reports were good, but has it kept up the good work?[/q1]

I'm back home now so it's probably in a box. Didn't do anything more exicting than make banana
milkshakes with it :frown:

Maybe more exicting things will come of it next year.

I became an expert at cheese sauce last term though :smile: we made lasange and macroni cheese a couple
of times, two of my favourite foods :smile:

adam
Reply 8
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:29:18 +0100, "smish" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q2]>> How, btw, is your blender these days? Early reports were good, but has it kept up the good work?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I'm back home now so it's probably in a box. Didn't do anything more exicting than make banana[/q1]
[q1]>milkshakes with it :frown:[/q1]

Cath and Eoin keep on making smoothies, but not my favourite thing. Did you try rum in the nana
milkshake? That might be nice?

[q1]>Maybe more exicting things will come of it next year.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I became an expert at cheese sauce last term though :smile: we made lasange and macroni cheese a couple[/q1]
[q1]>of times, two of my favourite foods :smile:[/q1]

Is that in the blender or just on the stove?! Anyway: ugh - cheese sauce is nasty and yucky 99% of
the time so I really can't be bothered with it. Too much hassle for something I don't actually like
- although Cath makes The Blessed Delia's version (about the only time I let her near the
stove.....)

Ian
--

Reply 9
[q2]> >> How, btw, is your blender these days? Early reports were good, but has it kept up the good[/q2]
[q2]> >> work?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I'm back home now so it's probably in a box. Didn't do anything more exicting than make banana[/q2]
[q2]> >milkshakes with it :frown:[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Cath and Eoin keep on making smoothies, but not my favourite thing. Did you try rum in the nana[/q1]
[q1]> milkshake? That might be nice?[/q1]

mmm, sounds good :smile:

[q2]> >Maybe more exicting things will come of it next year.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I became an expert at cheese sauce last term though :smile: we made lasange[/q2]
and
[q2]> >macroni cheese a couple of times, two of my favourite foods :smile:[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Is that in the blender or just on the stove?! Anyway: ugh - cheese sauce is nasty and yucky 99% of[/q1]
[q1]> the time so I really can't be bothered with it. Too much hassle for something I don't actually[/q1]
[q1]> like - although Cath makes The Blessed Delia's version (about the only time I let her near the[/q1]
[q1]> stove.....)[/q1]

Heh, just on the stove! :smile:

Cheese sauce is nice and easy :smile: butter, flour, then milk and cheese.

Lots of cheese.

I like cheese.

It comes from cows doncha know.

adam

Latest

Trending

Trending