Taboo Words Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alcohol5%
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
There are many taboo words in the english language of which many people do not like to use, or do not like to hear spoke to them. However, why are they taboo?

I remember a while ago, when I first heard the word scum, (sorry for putting it down) and didn't know what it meant. I didn't think it was a taboo word, why? Because I hadn't been told. So if I was every called it I laughed at it, and if I used to call it someone, they would not like it.

Even to this day, I don't see scum as very strong, just because it I didn't hear it from an EARLIER age.

So, why is it that we have these taboo words? It's just because we were told they are bad so we take offense, or use them in anger.

How about if everyone didn't take these words badly, for example, you could use them when writing an essay to describe something, and could use them in front of your parents and teachers without sanctions.

Then we wouldn't have any bad/taboo words. I heard that in japanese the only bad word they have translates to "I have done something wrong" or that is what I was told...

What do you think? Would it be better if we just were never told what taboo words were, and then there would be no problem.

?
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
You mean like ****, ****, ****, ******, *******s?
Neitzhschezehcz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not sure about words but I know a few taboo letters. S is a popular one where I come from, as is T. I'm partial to F myself and I've seen a few raised eye brows at U. S'all good.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dont think scum is really a taboo word.

If we didnt have bad words how would we describe bad things.

most 'taboo' words are taboo because of their connotation
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neitzhschezehcz)
Not sure about words but I know a few taboo letters. S is a popular one where I come from, as is T. I'm partial to F myself and I've seen a few raised eye brows at U. S'all good.
funny
Inverurie Jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
'Scum' is not a particularly taboo word. It's just an insulting metaphor liking a person to floaty gross things on top of liquid.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"Temptation is the fire that brings-up the scum of the heart"
Bill Shakespeare
Inverurie Jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What's his bloody problem with swearwords anyway? How else would I be able to properly emphasise my opinion that this is bloody weird...?
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inverurie Jones)
What's his bloody problem with swearwords anyway? How else would I be able to properly emphasise my opinion that this is bloody weird...?
Oh hello Inverurie. Don't tell me your back to ****ging me off again.
Ferret_messiah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I consider "yam" to be a taboo word. It offends me so much I'm up on charges of multiple murder as a result of what happened last time that word was spoken in my presence. It's true.
Veritas
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is it all not relative to the individual. Too you something may seem awful, to me it may seem fine. Or maybe im just talking out of my arse.
Ferret_messiah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thinktank)
Is it all not relative to the individual. Too you something may seem awful, to me it may seem fine. Or maybe im just talking out of my arse.
Surely you mean it is relative, not it isn't?
shazzam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
has anyone mentioned the dreaded 'c' word? I think we all know what it is, say that an a room will go silent :eek:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.54%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (143)
41.09%
Nope, not that interesting (137)
39.37%

Watched Threads