This discussion is closed.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkknightuk)
...the cost being zero? *confusion*

Anyway, I assume lynchings helped reduce the crime rate. Domestic violence lowered the divorce rates... I don't quite see what the point that is being made is.
Well, I don't see what your point is either. As lynching is a crime- whether it is prosecuted or not- it cannot have reduced crime rates.
If it is the case that easily available abortion has reduced the crime rate in the USA, that does not necessarily mean that it has in the UK, because it is very possible that there are differences between the attitude to abortion, how much it costs to have an abortion, the people who have abortions in each country and the people who do not and differences in the way that single mothers are treated and how their children are brought up.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Steve Levitt is touring the talk show circuit promoting his book "Freakonomics". Among other things, he claims that the reduction in crime over the last decade or more is due to abortion. The idea being, that those on the lower rungs of the socio-economic ladder are the people most likely to get an abortion, and the offspring of which are the most likely to become criminals.

This notion has being around for quite some time...........
Does this sound plausible.........?????????
Given that this was something which occured in the USA, what bearings, if any, do you think this could apply to other countries including the UK?
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Abortion rate and crime rate could be related, but I don't think it is a direct correlation. You have to consider that the "lower rungs of society" who are most likely to produce tomorrows criminals don't always have access to abortion techniques. I think the real thing that has lowered crime rate is birth control.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
Rich and poor in different countries. Compare the social support given to single mothers in the two societies- and different parts of the two societies-, the cost of abortion and the influence of religion on people's behaviour.
Let's compare the social support to single mothers in the third world (where there is real poverty) and this country. I think we'll find that there are more abortions on a per pregnancy basis here than there.
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Moncal)
I think the real thing that has lowered crime rate is birth control.
Is that because less people born means less people to commit crime?

The fact is crime rates (of any kind) continue to rise despite lower birth rates.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Is that because less people born means less people to commit crime?

The fact is crime rates (of any kind) continue to rise despite lower birth rates.
If that's how you want to look at it. Really it's that the people who don't want a baby and aren't going to love it if they have it have less of a chance of getting pregnant.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
As lynching is a crime- whether it is prosecuted or not- it cannot have reduced crime rates.
Why not?

A breaks into a hide-out of murders and drug dealers - he proceeds to kill them all with an axe.

A has committed a crime - he is guilty of murder

However, through that crime - the crime rate is lowered due to the death of the criminals in question.

Whats the problem with that?
farmer marshall
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Statistics never reveal the true picture. Instead of those from lower socio- economic backgrounds should have the child and let it be brought up by more parenting able people that way lives would be saved there would be less crime and there wouldnt be so much of an ageing population
rachaelmarie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That was my immediate reaction when it was assumed that it was mostly the 'lower classes' who had abortions.

I would have thought it was the opposite! The costs of an abortion might place the option out of the reach of the less monied. It seems that the poorest in our society are also more inclined to accept the pregnancy as they have lower aspirations and would not see the pregnancy as an 'inconvenience' at the particular stage in life they are at.

If it was the more affluent, intellectual and motivated amongst us that were the ones that are more inclined to have abortions then the whole hypothesis is completely skewed!
Thats what I would have thought, and also if abortion and crime rates dropped simultaneously it doesn't prove anything, I don't see many babies committing crime, if abortion went up in 1982 and crime fell in 1997 that would make more sense.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rachaelmarie)
Thats what I would have thought, and also if abortion and crime rates dropped simultaneously it doesn't prove anything, I don't see many babies committing crime, if abortion went up in 1982 and crime fell in 1997 that would make more sense.
The idea is that Roe V. Wade in 1973 forced all states to allow abortion, which enabled more women to have abortions throughout the country. Two decades later the crime rate was much lower, because lots of potentially unwanted and neglected children were disposed of as fetuses.
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rachaelmarie)
A record number of abortions took plance in this country in 1981. In the 1990s, we saw a huge drop in crime. In some large cities it dropped by 50% or more when it was expected to go much higher.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In relation to this book, and totally off topic from the intention of the thread, the authors listed a correlation between baby names and the years of education that their mother had. A link for the list is here. My name isn't even listed
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Levitt is a brilliant economist; arguably one of the best in the world. His unorthodox approach to economics (focusing on the economic impact of social issues) has been a great contribution to public policy. He never makes theories based solely on correlations. I would assume that he has solid empirical data and theoretical basic to support his views.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Steve Levitt is touring the talk show circuit promoting his book "Freakonomics". Among other things, he claims that the reduction in crime over the last decade or more is due to abortion. The idea being, that those on the lower rungs of the socio-economic ladder are the people most likely to get an abortion, and the offspring of which are the most likely to become criminals.

This notion has being around for quite some time...........
Does this sound plausible.........?????????
But there are so many factors affecting crime rate, and crime rate for x crime, or crimes in general? Plus, if the crime rate goes up, it does not necessarily mean there is more crime being committed, but could be that more crimes are being reported/recorded by police.
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no i dont think it has
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1114)
78.9%
Leave (298)
21.1%

Watched Threads