Odd rippling water effect in my field of vision. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Before I say anything else, i've booked a doctor's appointment already, but just wanted to see if anybody else has this problem.

Yesterday, out of the blue I suddenly had an odd disturbance in my vision. It was as if i'd just looked at a bright light and was seeing spots in front of my eyes, except I hadn't. It was sort of located to the right of my central field of vision. So If I was reading text, the text to the right of where I was focused was blocked from view by this light spot. Gradually it turned into more of an arcing line, still on the right side, and looked like a fluttering, rippled water sort of effect. After a little more time had passed, a rather large amount of my right peripheral vision was just a wavy image, like rippling water. This all happened over a period of roughly 20 minutes, then went away.

* It's happened once before, perhaps a couple of years ago.
* It wasn't precursor to a migraine.
* I hadn't eaten very much that day.
* I'd induced vomiting several times a couple of hours prior to the visual disturbance.
* I spend the majority of my time in front of a computer.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by dontlookhere)
I have definitely had this too on a few occassions, so badly that I was unable to walk let alone read. Let me know what the doctor says. The best way I can describe it is the sort of effect of pressing hard on your eyelids, and those strange spots appearing, right? From what you have written perhaps it was just heat stroke/exhaustion/dehydration. But this wouldnt be the case for me....
Yeah something like that. I'm hoping it is just eye strain from lack of sleep combined with being on the computer for so long focusing on the screen.

My hypochondria took over though and told me brain tumor, or that i'd be going blind..
Tarantula
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah something like that. I'm hoping it is just eye strain from lack of sleep combined with being on the computer for so long focusing on the screen.

My hypochondria took over though and told me brain tumor, or that i'd be going blind..
I had not the same problem but a similar problem recently. I've been on the computer a lot recently with revision etc. And i suddenly had these random times when my vision would go blurry.
So i went to the opticians and they sorted it for me.

When your working on the computer/watching T.V, playing video games etc. Your focused on it too, so you don't blink as much as you usually do. Your eyes need to blink basiclly. So take 5 mins away from the screen, and start blinking loads.

This worked for me.
dontlookhere
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Youll be fine. its worth getting checked out, but the doctor will probably say the same thing. unless you live anywhere near Chernobyl, in which case, panic. Now lol.
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Swine Flu.

Without a doubt.
AsystoleUK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tarantula)
I had not the same problem but a similar problem recently. I've been on the computer a lot recently with revision etc. And i suddenly had these random times when my vision would go blurry.
So i went to the opticians and they sorted it for me.

When your working on the computer/watching T.V, playing video games etc. Your focused on it too, so you don't blink as much as you usually do. Your eyes need to blink basiclly. So take 5 mins away from the screen, and start blinking loads.

This worked for me.
When you say they sorted it for you, do you mean they told you to do the blinking thing, or they gave you some sort of glasses or.. ? It makes sense.. since after I switched off the computer it dissipated.

(Original post by dontlookhere)
Youll be fine. its worth getting checked out, but the doctor will probably say the same thing. unless you live anywhere near Chernobyl, in which case, panic. Now lol.
Haha :P
N00bsicle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just sticking my oar in, your eye is not getting enough moisture. This can be due to not blinking enough (watching computer) or you are dehydrated.

Still, worth getting it checked up just so you can be certain.
Tarantula
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AsystoleUK)
When you say they sorted it for you, do you mean they told you to do the blinking thing, or they gave you some sort of glasses or.. ? It makes sense.. since after I switched off the computer it dissipated.

Haha :P
They told me to do the blinking thing yes and there's also other exercises you can do (probaly find them online) that will stop you getting blurred vision and that can strengthen your eyes.
Eye's need exercise too! It will be better to go to the opticians than the doctors.
refref
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just for the record, watching a TV/computer screen can NOT damage your eyes, but your eyes do need a rest.

It was probably just a migraine. If the images you see changes then it suggests that it could be a migraine type aura.

Actually rippling water is a good description of my aura. Or it's like looking through smokey glass.

You said you didn't eat much, could be a lack of energy. Next time this happens, try eat a teaspoon of sugar or a yoghurt or something and it could just dissapear (I've heard of these things working).

Waving, fluttering, 'arcy' line is exactly like the aura I get when I get my migraines.
Neo Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
**** I have this!! Been happening the last week, I just decided to ignore it. It's well weird, everything I saw was "rippling" as you say for a few secs.
refref
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Neo Con)
**** I have this!! Been happening the last week, I just decided to ignore it. It's well weird, everything I saw was "rippling" as you say for a few secs.
Seconds?

I have it for like an hour or maybe more
Neo Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ShortRef)
Seconds?

I have it for like an hour or maybe more
I doubt it's serious but best to get checked out as a precautionary measure. Yeah it's seconds for me. Like I looked at the blinds in my flat and it had that ripple effect-i thought the window was open and the wind was moving the blind. But no it wasn't the case lol.

At least I know how to describe it now if it continues. And yeah it does happen on the the periphery of your vision.
karim1604
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it like floaters?
I've had floaters since I was a child, and they tend to be harmless. However, if it happens for the first time, or something is really different, you should have it checked because it might be a problem with the retina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater
Lefty_P
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
refref
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This has nothing to do with floaters.
AsystoleUK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just for the record, watching a TV/computer screen can NOT damage your eyes, but your eyes do need a rest.

It was probably just a migraine. If the images you see changes then it suggests that it could be a migraine type aura.

Actually rippling water is a good description of my aura. Or it's like looking through smokey glass.

You said you didn't eat much, could be a lack of energy. Next time this happens, try eat a teaspoon of sugar or a yoghurt or something and it could just dissapear (I've heard of these things working).

Waving, fluttering, 'arcy' line is exactly like the aura I get when I get my migraines.
Hmm, though I didn't have even a remote headache never mind a migraine.. though I did go to sleep pretty soon after.
refref
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AsystoleUK)
Hmm, though I didn't have even a remote headache never mind a migraine.. though I did go to sleep pretty soon after.
You are the anon guy? If you get migraine aura without any pain (you said you vomited?) then you can still count that as a migraine.

Too bad I get the aura, the pain, the nausea and the vomiting (ive only ever had 4, but I think crisps sets of my migraines).
electricfeel--
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You are the anon guy? If you get migraine aura without any pain (you said you vomited?) then you can still count that as a migraine.

Too bad I get the aura, the pain, the nausea and the vomiting (ive only ever had 4, but I think crisps sets of my migraines).
I have that. I hate it. It starts with me being unable to see properly and the pain can go on all day and is so bad I can't even get to sleep.
Urgh! Any idea what causes it/... cures it?
georgia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get this every so often and told the doctor about it last time I went for a prescription, and she said not to worry about it. She reckoned it was because I have low blood pressure or something. It's only a problem if it's happening a lot.
refref
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by electricfeel--)
I have that. I hate it. It starts with me being unable to see properly and the pain can go on all day and is so bad I can't even get to sleep.
Urgh! Any idea what causes it/... cures it?
2 of mine were a few minutes after eating crisps......cant remember the other times though o.o

But you are a girl so......probably just hormones ^^
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (304)
15.16%
The paper was reasonable (1108)
55.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (435)
21.7%
It was TERRIBLE (158)
7.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed