The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
teendude
did anyone no 22e? how to format output to two decimal places?
and anyone get 24f. state two other items that should be specified when the array is created. explain why it is a more efficient use of system resources to pass an array by reference rather than value?

I think the state two other items was 23 :s-smilie:
I put the datatype should be specified and the number of values that will be in the array.

22E) completely guessed
everyone i know either missed it out or guessed.
Reply 41
Rachely
Noo did you have to invert it from 0's to 1's and vise versa? Ahh I didn't do that because I didn't think there would be 2 questions on that seeing as 1b was that. I got 551.

I got 551 too. I was wondering if we'd have to work backwards from two's complement because my teacher said that negative binary numbers usually start with a 1, but then I saw the next question and didn't think there'd be 2 two's complement questions. And I wasn't sure how to do it :biggrin:

As for the car park one, I put event-driven language but I thought it might have been procedural.

For anyone who did AI...for the big fun tracing question, I got the first two solutions to be egg_laying and none. My explanation was that it could be asking has(platypus, egg_laying) so Y could be egg_laying, or it could be asking about the characteristics of a mammal. When I did my tracing though, I got it so that it established that a platypus was a meteorite or motorete or mallorete or something, can't remember the word, but it didn't establish that a m-thing was a mammal and there were no characteristics of m-thingys so it didn't reach a solution.
I wrote like a page of explanation for 1 mark, haha.
Reply 42
For 22e, I think I wrote the following (Visual BASIC):

Let percent = Round(percent,2)
Reply 43
C274
I got 551 too. I was wondering if we'd have to work backwards from two's complement because my teacher said that negative binary numbers usually start with a 1, but then I saw the next question and didn't think there'd be 2 two's complement questions. And I wasn't sure how to do it :biggrin:

As for the car park one, I put event-driven language but I thought it might have been procedural.

For anyone who did AI...for the big fun tracing question, I got the first two solutions to be egg_laying and none. My explanation was that it could be asking has(platypus, egg_laying) so Y could be egg_laying, or it could be asking about the characteristics of a mammal. When I did my tracing though, I got it so that it established that a platypus was a meteorite or motorete or mallorete or something, can't remember the word, but it didn't establish that a m-thing was a mammal and there were no characteristics of m-thingys so it didn't reach a solution.

I can see how you got a no solution think you might have something with that answer especially for the following part of the question something like whats is wrong with the answer
Reply 44
I didn't have a clue about the percent one. I know we did it in class, but when we were doing it, my teacher had to look it up on the internet because he didn't know how to do it!
I just made up something like print percent;%.%% (Truebasic)
Reply 45
C274

That question was horrible. I put egg_laying and live_young.
I think the answer is egg_laying and none though. cos that makes part c make sense lol.
My thinking was...
platypus was a monotreme. which it then went through. then at line 8 it became monotreme is a mamal. so the second one was mamal have live young.

it confused me.
Reply 46
C274
I didn't have a clue about the percent one. I know we did it in class, but when we were doing it, my teacher had to look it up on the internet because he didn't know how to do it!
I just made up something like print percent;%.%% (Truebasic)

I didnt know so i just wrote LOCAL percent.
Reply 47
i done print percent [-2,3] (made up a language :P)
Reply 48
For the trace one, i got y= egg_laying and y - live_young, took ages to get through it all and i scribbled out a big line and drew an arrow across the page to where the correct part was, was a complete mess :biggrin: however for the next part i just wrote that it cant have live young if it lays eggs, i think that sounds reasonable? hopefully :O there was a lot of tricky questions i thought, but should get an A :wink:
Reply 49
Aerif
..."011101100"?

The first question was 1000100111, which = 551

How is this possible when I entered it in my calculator (which has a binary function). The value they gave in binary was 1000100111 = -473

So surely if you write this as a positive value it should be 473.

My teacher said you can always double check your answer by twos complement on it twice and thats what I did.

If the answer is 551 they should have put in the leading zeros to make it a 16bit number. It should have been written as 0000001000100111.
Reply 50
Try entering it into your computer's calculator. That also has a binary button assuming your using Windows XP/Vista. If it had wanted 473 it would have said the 'two's compliment binary number'. Not just the normal binary number.
Reply 51
johhon
For the trace one, i got y= egg_laying and y - live_young, took ages to get through it all and i scribbled out a big line and drew an arrow across the page to where the correct part was, was a complete mess :biggrin: however for the next part i just wrote that it cant have live young if it lays eggs, i think that sounds reasonable? hopefully :O there was a lot of tricky questions i thought, but should get an A :wink:

that is clever! i didnt even notice the live young egg laying thing!

in the difficulty im pretty sure i said it was confusing. which is stupid.
Reply 52
teendude
That question was horrible. I put egg_laying and live_young.
I think the answer is egg_laying and none though. cos that makes part c make sense lol.
My thinking was...
platypus was a monotreme. which it then went through. then at line 8 it became monotreme is a mamal. so the second one was mamal have live young.

it confused me.

Monotreme, that's the word.
When I traced it, as soon as it established that a platypus was a monotreme, the rule didn't make it go back and establish whether a monotreme was a mammal. It just wanted a value for Z (think that was the letter) and when it got that value (monotreme), it moved on. Well that's how I traced it, could be wrong :biggrin:
reading all these has settled me down a bit :L
Reply 54
I got 551 too.

desert
Questions I got stuck with/wish to know answer to:

4a) I said it allows the user to move physically move data ro another part of a drive....... Last resort answer.

I said partition drives. Your answer may be valid too.

5) A trojan horse doesnt replicate - like a virus and worm do ... last resort answer.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question - I said - "Sends information back to the hacker without the user knowing, data such as contacts etc"

6) Increasing registers - I said an additional data and address bus will allow double the data to be moved at once.

Registers are closer to the processor therefore have a faster access time meaning less memory read operations.

7a) May require a viewer?

Prequiste software such as "data connectors" or "frameworks" may be required.

9) JPEG is a standard file format so more likely that receiving computing can open?

JPEG is a compressed file therefore has a lower filesize than TIFF meaning it is better for transfering over a network (less bandwidth etc).

17b) a user defined fn is like a macro - where the user makes his/her own code???

Said pretty much the same, although we hadn't been taught this!

I really h8ed copmuting systems for some reason - yet found Software Development ok.

18e) can u say that u can get more write-cycles outta the devices now.

Faster access times.

20d) Dedicated printer will have large buffer to handle many print jobs - whereas previously printes plugged into statoins would slow up the statoin computer.

Said the same

20e) Less pop-ups (I loled at my answer for this...) & Can access file serers through its interface.

Tabbed browsing, meaning improved user interface. And large cache.

22a) Procedural?

Yup

23b) what was value and what was refernece? I said Category for Value and Cost for reference.

Said the same

Think thats it for this part - Multimedia section was ok though :smile:

I did AI
Anybody with the question paper willing to type it out? lol
To format it to 2 decimal places is format(variablename, "0.00")
Reply 57
teendude
that is clever! i didnt even notice the live young egg laying thing!

in the difficulty im pretty sure i said it was confusing. which is stupid.

I think i wrote that at first to be fair, because I couldn't see anything else, then i changed it to because its a recursive rule, but that was the next question... so i just kinda glanced at my answers and noticed "egg" and "live young" and thought seems like the reason. Maybe it was the way it was worded that put people off, "explain the difficulty" i knew it threw me at first :redface:
Reply 58
bananaslug77
To format it to 2 decimal places is format(variablename, "0.00")

Does anyone know what it was supposed to be in true basic? I do remember doing it before but my mind went blank in the exam. It's funny how I wrote a paragraph for each state question and 3 or 4 lines for the explain ones

The SQA should have made Q1a) more clear by putting in the zeros. :mad: After all, in previous years when asked to write e.g 556 in binary they expect people to put in the leading zeros. There goes my perfect 30 in section 1. :frown:

For the parameters one, what type of parameter was amount? And in section 1, the graphical design was it necessary to refine the steps(Q12a)?

People doing the networks section, what did you get for 29b), 39dii
Reply 59
Yazoo.C
Does anyone know what it was supposed to be in true basic? I do remember doing it before but my mind went blank in the exam. It's funny how I wrote a paragraph for each state question and 3 or 4 lines for the explain ones

The SQA should have made Q1a) more clear by putting in the zeros. :mad: After all, in previous years when asked to write e.g 556 in binary they expect people to put in the leading zeros. There goes my perfect 30 in section 1. :frown:

For the parameters one, what type of parameter was amount? And in section 1, the graphical design was it necessary to refine the steps(Q12a)?

People doing the networks section, what did you get for 29b), 39dii

I would sat "Amount" was byref as it is passed out of 1 and into 2, tricky one.

It was a flow chart, refinement required?

Latest

Trending

Trending