Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevie G)
    I want to start taking driving lessons, so I asked my cousin who the main providers were and he said BSM or the AA. So I rang up BSM and asked them for information on prices, and they said it's £23.50 per hour for my area. I was quite surprised as I was expecting something between £12 and £15. Is £23.50 too much to pay, baring in mind that I live in London and that according to the AA the demand for lessons is very high? How much do other driving schools charge?

Costs me about 19 pounds for AA i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    BSM is as little as £19 an hour in some places.
    I bought mine in bulk so I get them for about £17 an hour, give or take a pound. But then again that's in the North East, well known for its wealth.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine in blocks of 10 for £130, which I thought was really good. Got my provisional in June and took me 3 months to pass my test, but I had 40 lessons quite intensively. I wanted to get it done this summer before I go to Uni.
    Just waiting for the full licence to come through - offhand, does anyone know how long it takes? I passed my test last Monday (20th Sept) and the examiner took my licence off me and said they can send it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    my lessons were £17 an hour, about average in my area (essex). a local driving school came out at £9 an hour if you bought in bulk. I think the best thing to be would be to ask your friends and get a recommendation - my driving instructor wasn't very good and i reckon cost me 2 tests. but hey, the end result is the same!

ReputationRep:
    My lessons are £20 an hour I think, with BSM. I paid for 10 in advance, might need some more, might not cos I'm so damn good They gave me a load of free crap too, I got books, videos, CD ROM, the lot. My instructor seems to be pretty good as well, he's hilarious, and he lets me have the radio on sometimes when I drive, I'm sure it's not advisable but it's more fun that way so i'm not complaing :cool:

ReputationRep:
    mine started off at £17/h then went up to £18/h.
    that's in stoke-on-trent - it's a shithole, but it's my shithole...

does anyone know if you can change the photo when you get your full licence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyinghorse)
    lol, I was wondering that. I would like to as I have my mouth open in my current one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    I was getting lessons for about £16 an hour. Well, £15.99. So all in all I paid...sorry, my folks paid about £480 for around 30 lessons (add on top of that 3 tests :mad: )
    how much is it to take the tests like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyinghorse)
    No, you send off your provisional and they use the same photo in the pink replacement licence.
    It took mine a couple weeks to come back; quite prompt really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    how much is it to take the tests like?
    Around £38, IIRC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wu be eel)

its cheaper. but also, my instructor was explaining to me how most people dont last long with aa/bsm etc is because they make more going private so theyve no reason to stay with lousy bsm/aa. furthermore, the only reason SHES staying with bsm is because she never intended to do it for long! so thats the jist really - all the pro drivers are out private.

people might disagree with me, but thats my take.
    Your instructors statement is very broad, I am franchised with AA, always have a car less than 6 months old,never have to worry about breakdowns ,insurance ,road tax. My pupils don't learn in a car that is clapped out(that is not to say all private instructors have clapped out cars),but in a reliable comfortable car. Your instructor presumably never makes a real assessment of what it really costs to run and replace a driving school car. I doubt that they make more than I earn even after my overheads,unless of course they don't sleep.

"All the pro drivers are out private" Bit off the mark ,i have been a professional driving instructor for 12 years,I live pretty much off of recommends,take virtually nothing from the AA driving school.

Ivor

ReputationRep:
    Everyone here is paying much more than I am. I only pay £12 an hour for mine...I've gone with a fully qualified instructor who has passed all my friends first time.

ReputationRep:
    How much do they cost? Too bloody much!

ReputationRep:
    yeh bsm here in the north east for me was £16, you hv to ask your personal instructor how low will he/she go! but now the prices hv gone up to £16.75!
    altho some independents here do it for £10!

ReputationRep:
    I want to start taking driving lessons, so I asked my cousin who the main providers were and he said BSM or the AA. So I rang up BSM and asked them for information on prices, and they said it's £23.50 per hour for my area. I was quite surprised as I was expecting something between £12 and £15. Is £23.50 too much to pay, baring in mind that I live in London and that according to the AA the demand for lessons is very high? How much do other driving schools charge?
    no £23.50 is a good amount my sister used to pay £20

ReputationRep:
    £10..£12.. I want to live where you do!

Mine were £19.50 initially, but then went up to £20 - I've heard my instructors fees are now £20.50. That was an independent, but my friends at BSM, the AA etc were pretty much the same, maybe slightly higher.

ReputationRep:
    Mine were £17.50 an hour, but I would always have 2 hour blocks.
    I was with a private guy, was good at teaching but explaining the peircing procedure for Prince alberts while I was doing a turn in the road, for the first time without help wasn't great.

He dissappeared though, never turned up for a lesson one day, never called to re-arrange. Need to find another place for lessons sometime.

I think £18-19 is about average here. (Bristol)

ReputationRep:
    i don't really know........but one of friends took her driving lessons last year, with BSM, and to pay £34 per lesson.......that's toooo much!..... i won't be able to afford that!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.