Do you believe in astrology? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ms Red
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I think there is definately something to it whereas my bloke thinks its a load of rubbish.

your views?
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nah, it's fun to read up on sometimes but it doesn't have much accuracy.
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it exists, yeah
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
Nah, it's fun to read up on sometimes but it doesn't have much accuracy.
:dito:
Ms Red
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
But sometimes, it just makes so much sense, also what do people think of fortune tellers? my friend went to one and said that she got things spookily right, Im tempted to go
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No.

Capricorns, as everyone knows, do not believe in astrology.

Aitch

This is a sort of humour.
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ms Red)
But sometimes, it just makes so much sense, also what do people think of fortune tellers? my friend went to one and said that she got things spookily right, Im tempted to go
They're good at picking up non-verbal clues. Just look at Derren Brown.
Ferret_messiah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes, I believe that my life is directly controlled by gigantic bits of celestial matter thousands of light years away which no longer even correspond to the Zodiac signs. I also believe that everyone born on the same day as me will lead an identical life. Further, I support that Russian astrologer who wants to sue NASA for $311 million for moral damages caused by their Impact probe when it hits that comet. Also, all the previous sentences are lies because I'm not really an idiot.
blondebombshell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm undecided as yet. I used to not believe in all that sort stuff. But i've got a friend who does Tarot cards andhes been suprisingly accurate.
RachelBabyfrog
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't really believe in it, but it can be fun to read the stars in magazines

The bushmen of South Africa believe in a kind of inverted astrology- rather than them being influenced by the stars, the people influence the stars. They have to "pray" for them so that they can continue to burn in the sky. That sounds prettier to me
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no i dont
freebies
Report 13 years ago
I don't believe. Because I think except death and disease, I can control everthing of mine.
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe it exists. I don't believe it works, though.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I posted this in D&D when astrology came up recently; I'll post it again here.

(Original post by ThePants999)
Now, to get one thing straight from the start, I do not believe in astrology, so don't take the following as sticking up for it. However, there are right and wrong ways to attack it. The right ways are to point out that it has no scientific founding - there is no reason why its predictions would be true. The wrong way is to say "how can one-twelfth of the population be identical" and associated arguments - most of you are going along these lines, and you only make yourself sound very uninformed.

Star sign astrology, as in what you read in magazines etc, is not astrology. Even astrologers dismiss it as rubbish. Astrology does not divide people up into twelve types and predict the future for each type. Your birth chart depends on the position of every body in the Solar System, from the Sun down to the larger asteroids, as well as where they are in the sky at the time - so a fully-specified chart requires an exact location and time of birth. No two people, therefore, are the same according to astrology.

Furthermore, astrology does not define who you are, nor does it predict the future. The idea behind astrology is that planetary movements affect the... well, "emotional atmosphere" for lack of a better word. Your birth chart defines how this "atmosphere" affects you, such that any given planetary movement - say, Mercury going retrograde - will affect different people in different ways, depending on their birth charts. Who you are is a combination of genetic and environmental influences, as we all know, and what happens to you in your life will depend upon the free choices you and others make. Astrology simply helps (in theory) to understand the climate in which you make these choices, which will have an effect on the choices you and others make.

There - that is what you should be attacking, not the made-up ramblings in magazines which nobody considers to have anything more than entertainment value.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i thinks sososoo
im scorpioooooliooly
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
sometimes the stuff makes so much sense it freaks me out :eek:
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
makes sense??? there are 12 different ppl walking this earth? i don't bloody think so!

granted, Derren Brown's impressive, but no argument to support astrology...

"you will have to make a difficult decision this week" - can you be a bit more specific? Just playing on many people's tendancies to look for patterns in chaos and calling some unremarkable coincidences proof.

anyway - that's my little rant.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CrazyChemist)
makes sense??? there are 12 different ppl walking this earth? i don't bloody think so!

granted, Derren Brown's impressive, but no argument to support astrology...

"you will have to make a difficult decision this week" - can you be a bit more specific? Just playing on many people's tendancies to look for patterns in chaos and calling some unremarkable coincidences proof.

anyway - that's my little rant.
exactly!
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Astrology is a load of b****cks. Give me any serious reason why it should considered more than just a silly read. Please :rolleyes:
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't say I believe it but I find it interesting to read. How can some 5 line prediction be correct for a 12th of the population? You can always read something into it, and yes sometimes things might seem really true but its not gospel truth is it?!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (89)
19.96%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (180)
40.36%
Nope, not that interesting (177)
39.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed